Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

What is American about Doom?

Can you see American influence in the game? What would be different if it was made in Europe, for example?

1 hour ago, NeedHealth said:

Its design philosophies are based of d n d which is an american creation.

Same with Aliens and Evil Dead 2

if it was made in europe there'd be more bubbletext, the enemies would all have big friendly smiles and the secret map would contain balloons and flowers you pick up for points

sent from my amiga 600

The protagonist is a (Space) Marine. That alone is basically enough to tell "American fiction". American fiction about military guys is basically 90% Marines, 4% special ops/elite mercenary unit, 3% Navy, 2% Air Force, 1% Army.

24 minutes ago, Pyrolex said:

Well, there's guns

As an Americano I can confirmationalize that yes we are all about the boom-clicky-clickies, yes

I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it. Any real American will understand that.

Well the only thing american about Doom besides it being made by americans in america is that the largest Doom fanbase is in america.

3 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

A deluge of upsetting typos.

Shudder! Luckily, such a horrific world is only a thing of unspeakable nightmares.

ekvqEh8.png

It could also be that the Doom Marine looks like an American grunt, similar to how Blazkowicz is one in Wolfenstein 3D. Might also be that Wolfenstein RPG and Doom RPG heavily implied that the original Doom Marine from Doom 1 and 2 is one of Blazkowicz's descendants.

I've never really thought about it, however have always viewed the UAC as an American corporation.

Technically if ID were a European company then it probably wouldn't of existed.

Grateful it wasn't made by the Japanese, that would be truly horrific and probably vomit inducing-ly cute at the same time!    

4 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

A deluge of upsetting typos.

armour.png.c4e9dc9e244e07ad762e93eb849dfe3c.png

Shudder! Luckily, such a horrific world is only a thing of unspeakable nightmares.

What? You don't have a sense of humour? Just because most spellcheckers place a red-coloured line underneath Canadian/British spellings for common words doesn't make it a typo. The only time it is actually a typo is when a person switches between both the American and Canadian/British spellings in the same piece of writing. Bonus points if it's in the same paragraph. Triple the bonus points if it's in the same sentence.

I don't know what European pop culture was like in the early nineties, but I for some reason I think that the game would have fewer Sci-Fi elements and more fantasy elements, specifically medieval fantasy. Kind of like Heretic actually.

6 hours ago, Memfis said:

Can you see American influence in the game? What would be different if it was made in Europe, for example?

Which part of Europe?

British Doom would be very different to French Doom, which would be quite different to Italian Doom.

The only thing i know about international Doom is that Albanian Doom would be like every single piece of media made in that time period by us,a slice of life FPS.
"How are you going to add first person shooter mechanics into a slice of life?"
I dunno make him a partisan in WWII fighting for freedom or something but that would be more like albanian Wolfenstein than Doom.

2 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

What? You don't have a sense of humour?

How can you look at an obvious joke post and conclude the poster lacks humor?

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

This is what happens when Americans make fun of British English and not the other way around :P

1 minute ago, Gez said:

How can you look at the way I spelled "humour" and not notice that it was also a joke post?

6 minutes ago, Skeletonpatch said:

How can you look at the way I spelled "humour" and not notice that it was also a joke post?

Because ... humour is a valid way of spelling it?

Like, the only way your post would make sense as a joke post if it constantly fluctuated from using "our" and "or" as endings to add some comedic irony to the fact that you were talking about. There's no gag to your post as-is.

fwiw doom2's tan textures, particularly the ones with the cobblestones, ornamental sconces and windows are certainly more European than American. I live near Philadelphia and New York City which is pretty 'old money' compared to the rest of the US and those types of decor aren't very common especially in the 90's or distant future which Doom is supposed to take place in. America is pretty industrial so you'd think you'd have a lot more concrete and rusted metal varieties to pick from.

Doom is a composite of 80s American pulp and "lowbrow" culture; things like Alien, Evil Dead, metal music and D&D. These are all quintessential American cultural touchstones of the 80s. 

A UK Doom would probably have been influenced way more by dark fantasy/scifi properties like 2000 AD or Games Workshop.