Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Don't know how to explain this

OK first off, I suck ass with space and definitions of space. So bear with me. Ok we have our own cluster of planets and a sun, however I was wondering if there are any other places that have been discovered out there, similar to our sitution, i.e. a place that has it's own sun along with a planet that is fertile and habitable for humans, sorry, like I said, I don't know a lot of terms for space. I read a while ago that there was a planet discovered that was solid, however the entire surface was oil, and that we could never take advantage of it because it is so damn far away to transport. Anyways, that's all.

...puts Alientank into the Total Perspective Vortex, then turns it on. On the wall in front of him is a map of the entire universe, and somewhere near the bottom is a microscopic dot upon a microscopic dot, with a small arrow pointing to it, and a message saying "You are here".

Space is Pretty Fucking Huge(tm), so there's about a 99.99999 percent chance of quite literally anything you can imagine being somewhere out there. I'm hoping to one day set foot on Chocotania, the planet made out of pure chocolate. Oceans of milk, clouds of spun sugar and everyone looks like Laetitia Casta. Oh yes.

Lord FlatHead said:

Space is Pretty _______ Huge(tm), so there's about a 99.99999 percent chance of quite literally anything you can imagine being somewhere out there.

Moronic statement. You seem incapable of rationally conceiving the concept of inconceivably large distances. It seems that you have not considered the outrageously perfect conditions needed to even produce a planet with life greater than single-cell organisms.

Depends on which factors are really essential for advanced life to form. Yes, there is a fair amount of evidence of star-systems with planets, quite possibly rocky, like the Earth. It has been suggested though that the presence of the Moon (an abnormally large satellite relative to the planet it orbits) has been a vital stabilizing influence on the Earth, and this has provided a suitable environment for life to evolve (rather than being mostly wiped out when there is a major and sudden shift in the planet's orientation). If this is indeed the case, then planets where advanced life can evolve might be exceptionally rare.

That doesn't mean that somewhere in the vastness of space there won't be other such planets, of course. Or that life might be possible based on an entirely different chemistry, and thus require a wholly different type of environment.

AndrewB: I think he's joking :P

On a related note, did you know that while there are possibly up to 7 hidden dimensions, life is only possible in a configuration of the three we know? In two dimensions or less, there are logical restrictions to the complexity of potentional organisms, and in 4 or more, atoms would break down and any macrostructures would collapse due to the increased gravitational acceleration.

Grazza said:

Depends on which factors are really essential for advanced life to form. Yes, there is a fair amount of evidence of star-systems with planets, quite possibly rocky, like the Earth. It has been suggested though that the presence of the Moon (an abnormally large satellite relative to the planet it orbits) has been a vital stabilizing influence on the Earth, and this has provided a suitable environment for life to evolve (rather than being mostly wiped out when there is a major and sudden shift in the planet's orientation). If this is indeed the case, then planets where advanced life can evolve might be exceptionally rare.

That doesn't mean that somewhere in the vastness of space there won't be other such planets, of course. Or that life might be possible based on an entirely different chemistry, and thus require a wholly different type of environment.

Yes. without the moon, we are fucked. Earth would be a seismic hotbed incapable of producing life.

That thing you...Fred i think it was, said about dimensions makes me go "GWAAAH?"

But really, what are the necessary conditions for life to form...we only know of one example when you think about it.

Well,I think that there is probably other intelligent life out there but it's just finding it, I wonder if we will in our life time. I know that someone told me before if the space program continued as it does then we would be colonizing the moon in 400 years from now.

Back to the start...

I read a while ago that there was a planet discovered that was solid, however the entire surface was oil, and that we could never take advantage of it because it is so damn far away to transport. Anyways, that's all.

That sounds like fatal bullshit. Oil is fossilized organic matter, a planet whose entire surface is covered in oil would have to have had.... lots of vegetation! By the way, oil is only created under pressure so that couldn't happen on the surface anyway. And there's no way you could determine if such a remote planet has oil on its surface.

Scientist said:

My god, It's full of stars...

Yes, and every star the center of a galaxy, much like our own...though inhabitable planets like they said depends on numerous special circumstances, which would be very rare.

Fredrik said:

So, GS-1719, let's look at "Evolution Deceit" (this must be the one found at evolutiondeceit.com). Time for some random quotes of wisdom!...........
*Cough* *cough*

Wow...i am right with you, those are the exact types of concepts my dad talks about, hard to understand, and even harder for me to relate...if i could get it right, I'd pose the question somewhere.

I like Douglas Adams' definition of space:

"The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy has something to say about space. 'Space,' it says, 'is really big. Really, really, mind-bogglingly big. So big that you can't really imagine it. You may think it's a long way down to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space...' and so on at great length."

DC

Alientank said:

...however the entire surface was oil...

...or maybe covered by nukage! j/k

Serious now, so man is trying to visit other planets (maybe even to live there) ? Isn´t it enough the fact that Earth is being destroyed by man, and now he wants to go to other planet to do the same there? What´s the point? To destroy the whole universe?

Cacodreams said:

...or maybe covered by nukage! j/k

Serious now, so man is trying to visit other planets (maybe even to live there) ? Isn´t it enough the fact that Earth is being destroyed by man, and now he wants to go to other planet to do the same there? What´s the point? To destroy the whole universe?

Well, it is human nature to destroy ourselves...so we'll probably destroy the universe while we're at it.

Fredrik said:

By the way, oil is only created under pressure so that couldn't happen on the surface anyway.

You seem to be right but maybe the aliens put it there, either from beneath the surface of from other planets they stole it from. As for how Alientank knows about the oil... maybe he is one of them.

Whenever I look at the stars, they always seem to be very small. Too small for me to live on. :) hehehe

Lord FlatHead said:

I'm hoping to one day set foot on Chocotania, the planet made out of pure chocolate. Oceans of milk, clouds of spun sugar and everyone looks like Laetitia Casta. Oh yes.

...I'm sure hope for that too, I mean its Gotta be real, with the name "The Milky Way"...we Gotta have that Planet!!

Lord FlatHead said:

Space is Pretty Fucking Huge(tm), so there's about a 99.99999 percent chance of quite literally anything you can imagine being somewhere out there. I'm hoping to one day set foot on Chocotania, the planet made out of pure chocolate. Oceans of milk, clouds of spun sugar and everyone looks like Laetitia Casta. Oh yes.

but watch it turn out humans are considered a delicacy on Chocotania, and Dr. Pepper is considered the devil's brew. Wouldn't enjoy yourself as much, eh?