Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Misty

Pigeon Speedmapping 3 -- 50 Christmas Pigeons(idgames link in the first post)

81fNO19.jpg

Hello everyone!!! It's almost time for pigeon again!!! This time it will be holiday themed, so prepare your christmas hats and bags!!!

BASIC RULES:
-It will be held on December 9th, 2017
-You will have 2 hours to complete your map, 3 hours if it's ambitious (so basically 3 hours).
-Your map(s) must be Boom compatible (-complevel 9). Using boom actions, however, is not required.
-You will be given 3 themes once the session begins, with a bonus theme for the second session.
-ALL maps and updates MUST be posted in this thread and ALL links MUST be updated when you update your map.
-This means that if you post 3 replies for updates to your map, each individual reply must be edited to include the latest update in them, as well as a date for your edit!
-Maps/updates can be posted in the discord as well, but they HAVE to at least be in this thread as well.
-Custom midis and skies are encouraged, but you don't have to upload them at the same time as your map!
-You'll have a day or two to add a custom midi/sky.
-You MUST include coop starts!
-You must incorporate at least one theme into your map.

CUSTOM TEXTURES:
This time, I'm going to compile texture set for this upcoming session(most likely add some blue marble textures in cc4-tex) and add this holiday themed wad as second resource: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/xmas/doomxmas 

TEXTURE SET:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jNAemawLiKJwEV6pvDDIPDXL7M_hSV99
What I included: 

• Merged cc4-tex and zoon tex in one file.
  • Doomxmas wad with changed cacodemon and pain elemental sprites. It also contains dehacked( I had to leave it to being faithful to original compilation). 

So basically, only two wads and small dehacked thingy. 

If any errors are encountered in resource wads, tag me and I'll search solution. 

I'll post fully compiled texture pack one-two days before session, so keep eyes on thread who will show up.
Please only use the texture pack if you're confident in your ability to correctly add it to your wad!!
Custom textures ABSOLUTELY MUST:
-Not already be a part of cc4-tex.wad
-Not have generic names like WFALL or something
-If necessary, use the 3-letter naming convention mentioned below (i.e. MYHFALL)
-Not be an entire other texture pack
-ALL be used in your map
-Unused textures/flats can be removed (you can use maintenance in SLADE to do this)
-You may use a custom sky if you're confident in your ability to use one.
-You can write Mapinfo for zdoom ports to define sky, music and level. 

You'll still be required to replace music and transfer sky in boom format way, because prboom+ won't read Mapinfo (maybe in far future). And I'll add level names through Dehacked for prboom+. 
-Your sky MUST start with a 3-letter prefix. For example, I would name my sky MYHSKY or MYH_SKY.
-If you really wanna add a sky but aren't sure how to do it, ask in the discord! We'll try our best to explain it.
-If you fail to correctly add a custom sky, I will simply remove the sky entirely. You'll still have a few days to correct it though, so don't worry about it.

SESSION TIMES:
Session 1: 8am EST/1pm GMT(for me it will be 3:00pm).
Session 2: 3pm EST/8pm GMT(for me it will be 10:00pm).
For navigation - http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/ - Type in ET for one side and your timezone/city in the other.

DISCORD: https://discord.gg/QdqjVv9

Hopefully this goes even better than the last session!! :D
If you have any questions please PM me or ask in the discord!!!!!

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION***

I would like to add custom palette for this upcoming session, but I would like to know people opinions about it. It would replace blue and green ranges, but if nobody will like it, I'll leave traditional stuff like nothing happened. 

Custom palette will be used. 

Examples(with palette and without it):

Spoiler

Title picture(paletted and not paletted)
hmUiOS3.png
nO5bfd3.png

Screenshots in game(from my personal mapping stuff)
Z46Wc89.png
FXcGlEE.png

Second notice - Yes, I moved date to December 9th, due to my participation in JOM05 at December 01-04 days and I believe that nobody would show up if I would keep traditional schedule due that mapping event. This also explains why I created thread two weeks before main event.

Last notice - Bonnie transferred pigeon speedmapping sessions and discord server for me, so I'm main host now. Second important person is @leodoom85, so if something will happen unexpected for me, he will able to help and solve most of the issues.

P.s. My personal thoughts or wall of text:

Spoiler

To be honest, Pigeon event and discord server transference was quite unexpected for me. I was mostly "k, sure, do it" and Bonnie transfered both things to me. I just only lended my hand to fix second compilation issues. Well, I can't judge them and I already took responsibilities to continue this speedmapping session and those which will come out in the future.

I know that lots of people left during and after second speedmapping session due bad things that happened, but still, discord server is always opened for return. Me and Leo defined rules to prevent future dramas and other unpleasant things. Also, server is cleaned a bit and have some new channels. If someone still has questions about this section, send message in pm or discord or in thread if this isn't very personal

Thank you who read this thing. It means a lot for me. 

Doomshack link:
http://doomshack.org/uploads/pigeon3.zip

Idgames link:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/xmas/pigeon03

Edited by Myst.Haruko

Ok, to add some info, since I have a different time zone as Myst. Haruko, I'll be able to supervise and do a map probably for the second session and I'll help her as much as I can, as well as the mappers with some stuff. Don't be afraid to ask some doubts that you can have in terms of themes or some of the other rules to have some clarification. 

I believe that this reformed session will be successful as the other 2 previous sessions, and hopefully, without all of the past drama. With that being said...everyone, join the server if you want, do your maps and enjoy the session!!!

Hmmm, so the maps are supposed to be Boom compatible but you are allowed to use some zdoom exclusive methods for making skies, even though one of the rules is that you have to use Boom sky transfers for skies...? Some clarification on that?

I'm finally free these weekends so I'll participate. Hopefully in both sessions. 

Making skies? no :)
You know that MAPINFO makes possible to define a custom sky easily as well as music and the name of the maps. Well, there's DeHacked for maps and renaming music for that too. 

4 minutes ago, therektafire said:

Hmmm, so the maps are supposed to be Boom compatible but you are allowed to use some zdoom exclusive methods for making skies, even though one of the rules is that you have to use Boom sky transfers for skies...? Some clarification on that?

Well, most majority of people use gzdoom or zdoom outside of doomworld(judging by fb groups) and with mapinfo I could prevent crouching or freelook. Even BTSX uses mapinfo which is vanilla mapset. Prboom+ will simple ignore it. 

Well I was just saying how in the rules for this session it says 

58 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

-You may use a custom sky if you're confident in your ability to use one.
-You MUST use a boom sky-transfer action for this.
-Your sky MUST start with a 3-letter prefix. For example, I would name my sky MYHSKY or MYH_SKY.
-You can use MAPINFO to add custom skies, music and names but this will work only on ZDoom ports.

So we have "Boom sky transfers only" except not really because you can use MAPINFO too but that is only available on ZDoom

3 minutes ago, therektafire said:

Well I was just saying how in the rules for this session it says 

So we have "Boom sky transfers only" except not really because you can use MAPINFO too but that is only available on ZDoom

Let me fix it and make things clear :""")

I hope everything is clear now. If something is still not understandable, write here now. 

Sweet, another Pigeon session! Will be interesting to see if a change of project leader mixes things up or not.

9 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

Sweet, another Pigeon session! Will be interesting to see if a change of project leader mixes things up or not.

This time will be different for good and I hope that this series continues for some time.

:)

Always happy to participate if I'm not doing something!

Also, I'd prefer the times to be given in UTC to prevent the time-conversion issues that plague sessions like this.

Well, I'm more accustomied to gmt time zone, but I can edit it and write in all three time zone formats ;)

Just reminder that next saturday pigeon speedmapping will happen. Keep eyes on thread, because I didn't post texture set yet. Oh and I'll keep poll until tommorrow evening. Good luck everyone ;)

1 hour ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Just reminder that next saturday pigeon speedmapping will happen. Keep eyes on thread, because I didn't post texture set yet. Oh and I'll keep poll until tommorrow evening. Good luck everyone ;)

And another wave of UV Max runs :)

So, I closed poll and I should show results as proof. So, there we go:
 BPddFBQ.png 

I'm going to use custom palette and include it with compiled resources in the first post. Thank you all who voted ;)

Tomorrow is the long-waited day folks, so prepare your mind for some gotta-make-fast mapping and enjoy the two sessions...

Still some problems with sprites are encountered, unless I'll post christmas content differently from main pack. Sorry for delay. 

@therektafirePlease be patient. Consider that in other projects of this type, the texture pack is sometimes announced at the same day as the project starts. And yes, I'm busy as well tuning things up,,,

Ok everyone. ~20 minutes left for first session so be prepared for the themes that Myst. Haruko will say here and the server and get the editor ready!!!
I wish you all luck in both sessions!!!
Of course, I'll participate too....

So, themes are:

1. Maps shouldn't go below 1024x1024 and not beyond 3072x3072.
2. Include purple or teal textures(heck, it would be sad to waste custom palette). It replaces blue and green ranges.

3. Good usage of crushers. 

Good luck everyone ;)

I'm done!

NAME: The Monster Count Is Larger Than The Map

MADE BY: NaZa aka thateagleguy :)

TIME: 3 h (rest - choosin' music, plannin)

THEMES - 1,2 - between 1024x and 3072x, there's a purple button so I guess 2 too? I'll do more purple in an update perhaps.

MUSIC: "Havana Smooth" by Lee Jackson (HR MAP10)

COMMENTS: The first speedmap I've made in about 5 months. It looks pretty dope, plays really badly. In the next update I'll probably just play with the monsters a bit better, the monsters were thrown in haphazardly.

pigeon_03_naza_v1.zip