Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Old Gaming Communities that are still active?

Gaming Communities, 

they are something practically essential for the success of any saga of videogames, they create and strengthen the life capabilities of a game and are able to contribute to it for years, some communities often give their games a bad name, others are respected and even venerated among all. But today I want to talk about those veteran communities, communities of ancient games that are still active, the clearest example we can have is obviously Doom, but there are still others out there?

Practically the only community to which I am united and quite active is that of Doom, but I have noticed that other games that are quite old also have their communities still functioning, for example, CS 1.6 and AoE II are still working despite the years , something quite respectable.

Other examples could be maybe UT 2004 and GOTY, because I have found servers with quite decent population and a very diverse community of mods, even games already almost forgotten, as Command and Conquer Generals still have online tournaments. That made me wonder, what other veteran communities are still there? Are you part of any other ?

giphy.gif

Just now, Ajora said:

The Commander Keen modding community is still active and healthy. 

Pretty much all Main ID games are still active, thats neat.

Street Fighter 2 matches are still very easy to find on Fightcade! So glad two of my all time childhood favorites (doom and sf) are still going strong, nothing has ever quite topped either of them in terms of PVP goodness, imo

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Street Fighter 2 matches are still very easy to find on Fightcade! So glad two of my all time childhood favorites (doom and sf) are still going strong, nothing has ever quite topped either of them in terms of PVP goodness, imo

Ah thats lovely! I wonder if there are still any old Mortal Kombat games active too...

This year I published my first work for Serious Sam - The Second Encounter, becoming part of the "serious community". True, only its Russian site. After the first map released followed a few more. Now they are waiting for the translation into English ...

In general, I can mark the Quake I community. I was always amazed by the quality of the works created for this game. Unfortunately, I do not see the frequent occurrence of new singlepalyer content for Quake II (I may have been looking badly). Some of the sites I found contain only dead links to the maps, but others pleasantly surprise the quality of the stored content. Q2 left a very vivid modder heritage. I also like to plunge into the legacy of Quake III, looking through the screenshots of the map on LvLWorld. Alas, the Q3 era passed by me, but the idea of leaving a trace in this community does not leave me ...

In general, even if I do not acquire any original style or sufficient skill, I would like to "inherit" in as many communities of my favorite games as possible. Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal, Half-Life, Painkiller, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout, etc. There are still active communities ...

I need to find time for all plans. This is the most valuable resource, which is not enough for anything ...

17 hours ago, Ajora said:

The Commander Keen modding community is still active and healthy. 

That's somewhat impressive. I had never realised that game had a modding community.

Just checked in on the communities I care about. Descent, Tribes, and One Must Fall. Looks like they're all still active in some capacity. There's even a new buzz in the OMF community over a possible source release of the last game, hopefully the stars will line up for that.

Half-Life 1 is still alive and well, which is to be expected really.

Morrowind also has a very active community.

Oh, of course, Super Mario World and (to a lesser extent, far as I can tell) Mario 64. There are still Super Mario World level packs being designed to this day and with the recent release of Mario 64 Online, it's seen a bit of a resurgence.

Morrowind has OpenMW which is an open source Morrowind engine, and Daggerfall has Daggerfall Unity which is a very good recreation of the game. Those two have communities going strong right now.

3 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Morrowind has OpenMW which is an open source Morrowind engine, and Daggerfall has Daggerfall Unity which is a very good recreation of the game. Those two have communities going strong right now.

TES Saga itself is really active! Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind have one strong-amazing fanbase! 

5 hours ago, Spie812 said:

Half-Life 1 is still alive and well, which is to be expected really.

Morrowind also has a very active community.

Yes, HF 1 is one master piece, I did expect it.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that most games which have enjoyed a decent amount of popularity at some point in the past 4 decades still have an active community going in at least some form.

It's harder to find an example of a once popular game being totally abandoned than it is to find the opposite.

Are there any other 2.5D fps games out there besides Id Software related games that are easy to make maps for now days? I don't expect a lot of these older games to have editors like Doombuilder or Slade, but I would at least like something that I could use on a modern computer without it being a hassle to set up & use. I figure Build engine & old Lucas Arts games would be popular enough, but are there other lesser known ones as well?

Duke3D still has a loyal fanbase, yes.

People still make maps for Marathon, but they're mostly multiplayer maps. Due to how Marathon tells its stories, single-player projects tend to be rather large.

Openxcom for your UFO and TFTD needs, the community is very strong. Freespace 2 and more importantly the Babylon 5 TC community is reasonable active.

The games with no communities, that is a crying shame are the 40K games, SH:VOTBA, chaos gate and final liberation etc

Also, the Tie fighter (and xwing if you like that rebel shit) community, seems to be rather lacking, which is a great shame.  

9 hours ago, Doom64hunter said:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that most games which have enjoyed a decent amount of popularity at some point in the past 4 decades still have an active community going in at least some form.

It's harder to find an example of a once popular game being totally abandoned than it is to find the opposite.

This is true, but much to my dismay, there are a few classics which are seemingly no longer played online. Despite the name still being popular, there is not, far as I can tell, a big "central place" for fans of old Mortal Kombat games to meet and easily play them online, unlike Street Fighter. It sucks, sometimes I get that classic MK itch and it just has to go unscratched..

Hell, this is true for alot if once-super-popular multiplayer arcade games, honestly. There's no way that I'm aware of to reliably play Rush, Cruisn' USA, Daytona USA, or even older classics like Marble Madness, Joust etc etc. Despite all being hits at the time of release and still having some name recognition today, these classics and many many others go all but ignored. There's no way to play any of them online against real opponents either despite how amazingly fun it would be.

17 hours ago, Doom64hunter said:

Well, Battlefield Heroes was pretty active, but EA shut that one down, so I guess it doesn't really count.

17 hours ago, Doomkid said:

This is true, but much to my dismay, there are a few classics which are seemingly no longer played online. Despite the name still being popular, there is not, far as I can tell, a big "central place" for fans of old Mortal Kombat games to meet and easily play them online, unlike Street Fighter. It sucks, sometimes I get that classic MK itch and it just has to go unscratched..

Hell, this is true for alot if once-super-popular multiplayer arcade games, honestly. There's no way that I'm aware of to reliably play Rush, Cruisn' USA, Daytona USA, or even older classics like Marble Madness, Joust etc etc. Despite all being hits at the time of release and still having some name recognition today, these classics and many many others go all but ignored. There's no way to play any of them online against real opponents either despite how amazingly fun it would be.

There used to be UltimateMK, yet it seems that merged into another forum 5 years ago.

I would have imagined that there'd still be a fair bit of online competition for Ultimate MK3 and X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter/Rebel Alliance, but sounds like no.

20 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I would have imagined that there'd still be a fair bit of online competition for Ultimate MK3 and X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter/Rebel Alliance, but sounds like no.

I believe for UMK3, they'd be using Kaillera, and I wouldn't doubt there is an active scene still. From what I can tell, UltimateMK ended up merging into TestYourMight so you'd probably find them there.

The Command and Conquer modding community is still pretty active with Mental Omega for Red Alert2, Rise of the Reds for Generals and OpenRA.

Im currently playing Mental Omega and its a ton of fun with all the new units and a mew faction.