Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herzon

Worst Doom Level

E4M3 is pretty dumb. Looks totally like an amateur 1994 pwad, maybe a liiittle bit more polished.

I don't honestly hate any maps from any of the official IWADs, though to be honest my exposure to E2, E3 & E4 is very limited sadly.

I think my main reason for this is due to the fact that I was introduced to Doom as soon as I could recognize what a computer was (thanks dad!), and thus I've formed an incredibly strong nostalgia towards all of E1, Doom II and Final Doom. I remember my dad hating The Chasm, but for some reason I don't share those feelings. My favourite maps by far come from Final Doom, which based on other posts in this thread it would seem that not many people would agree with me.

While there aren't any maps I'd say that I hate, I think my least favourite maps would be the ones that objectively should have been excluded from the Master Levels. You know the ones I'm talking about.

Just beat Doom 2 on UV, and I'll say Map 28 "The Spirit World".

That bit at the end where you have to shoot the non-obvious tile to advance to the end of the map is dumb. After an hour of running around in circles trying to open every wall, I finally had to do IDCLIP to figure out where the hell I had to go... I hated having to resort to that, but I was really losing my patience.

58 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

E3M9. Pathetic copy-paste.

No, the worst is E3M1, because E3M9 looks like the "Director's Cut" version :>

On 10/21/2017 at 9:25 PM, Impie said:

Can I consider Doom 2 and Final Doom a single map?

No because Doom 2 has 30 levels and Final Doom has 64 levels in total.

8 hours ago, Herzon said:

No because Doom 2 has 30 levels and Final Doom has 64 levels in total.

I just assumed they were all one big map. My bad.

20 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

TNT Map 08: METAL
Isn't this the one with the mandatory secret?

Not sure what "mandatory secret" you're referring to, but I agree that this is a bad map. Probably the only thing I actively dislike about tnt, an otherwise amazing WAD.

On 10/22/2017 at 2:20 AM, Job said:

Dis. 

Iconic, but a garbage level nonetheless. It's an even bigger disappointment over what it could have been in context of its namesake. One gets the impression that the id was running out of steam and time, wanting to get the product shipped. 

On 10/22/2017 at 3:01 AM, DooM_RO said:

Every boss battle looks like it was made in 5 minutes.

I agree with @Job, I'm not fond of Dis, at least as it ended up being done in the context of the rest of the game. I disagree with @DooM_RO about the boss battles.

I think E1M8 and E2M8 both work quite well, at least in terms of setup. I think I was the first person in my circle of friends to get a copy of shareware Doom back in 1994 and one of the first to have a full copy of the game (and we didn't talk about it), so I had no idea what to expect.

I remember playing E1M8 the first time and going down the long hallway with the subtle music playing and thinking that something was going to happen. Then you go up the lift and the doors open and the two Barons roar. The star-shaped room was a nice touch.

I vividly remember playing E2M8 for the first time and staring at the bloody, dead Baron of Hell hanging from the wall, disemboweled and with its limbs torn off and thinking, "What the hell is here that could do that to a Baron of Hell?" Again, the music really added to the tension and I wondered what was on the other side of the door.

I was expecting E3M8 to be an epic conclusion to the game, so I was somewhat let down when I opened the door, walked down the long hallway, and found essentially one large "room" with the Spiderdemon in it.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I was expecting E3M8 to be an epic conclusion to the game, so I was somewhat let down when I opened the door, walked down the long hallway, and found essentially one large "room" with the Spiderdemon in it.

I distinctly recall my response to this being something along the lines of, "This is it?" and being disappointed. It was such a letdown-decrescendo after the climax of tension the game built up leading to that point.

The only IWAD level which I don't particularly enjoy is Bloodfalls - I just find it kinda dull. 

On 2017. 10. 22. at 4:05 PM, Memfis said:

E4M3 is pretty dumb. Looks totally like an amateur 1994 pwad, maybe a liiittle bit more polished.

But has a charm to it. Particularly DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGing up the "secret stairsteps" on ZDoom. :^)

My pick would be E4M4. Easy-peasy, a kindergartener can do it difficulty map wedged amongst the rest, relatively hard levels of TFC.

Also, MAP24. Walk the walk, biatch, or fall. But hey, some decently designed computer labs inbetween.

Doom: Unruly Evil (too short and meh to play for being in the expansion).

Doom 2: The Chasm (no need for explanation really......The Citadel comes in second place but fuck it).

TNT: This one is hard........I have Metal, Mount Pain and the one in map 19 (can't remember the name now)....TNT is just a mix of bad and good maps imo.

Plutonia: I'd say Bunker...it's my least favorite one.....

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 1:27 AM, Nine Inch Heels said:

Oh goodness the memories...

I think one of the worst experiences for me so far would be TNT's "Habitat". I don't remember the slot it was in, and that's probably for the better. The map wasn't really interesting, and the MIDI wasn't exactly redeeming either. There are other maps for sure, but this was the first that came to mind for some reason, so it qualifies for the time being, I'd say.

I knew this one would get mentioned. Those corridors...

3 minutes ago, doomdaniel95 said:

I guess I'm the only one here who actually likes The Chasm, lol. My least favorite Doom 2 map is The Pit.

Well, not really. I'm neutral to the Chasm, but I know there are many people who like this map. However, The Pit is one of my least favorite too.