Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

So how far did you get on Ultra-Nightmare?

Honestly I thought about it but I didn't use it, I beat UN legit.

I'm actually not even SURE it works, as I've never tried it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. If someone could confirm it works that would be nice btw.

Keep in mind that you cannot truly claim to have beaten UN if you manipulate your saves. Game crashes are one thing, but you completely defeat the purpose of permadeath by cheating via save backups or similar tactics. As far as I am concerned, doing so is just beating the game on Nightmare and nothing more since the only difference between the two difficulties is permadeath.

After beating the game on UV, I did Level 1 on UN for the achievement. Took me a handful of tries. I meant to come back to it after, but I found my save file deleted, even though I never died in it. Oh well, it's only Level 1 anyhow.

I haven't been back to it since, because IRL, Steam Sales, and tomorrow SGDQ. So... it's probably going to be a while befor eI try again seriously.

Your save gets deleted if you quit during a level. You need to choose "save&quit" at the end of a level.

This is probably to avoid people cheating by quitting and restarting the level when they're about to die.

Although once I got a crash during the middle of a UN level and my save was still there, so there is probably a failsafe for that.

ya if doom closes in a weird way it'll take you back to a checkpoint. watch when you play and you'll see check points pop up on the screen.

I got killed by an Imp on the Argent Tower.
Damn that imp was fast. Killed me with a single fireball.
Low ammo for SS. No ammo left for Gauss Cannon.
Only hope was a pistol. But I wasn't able to kill that imp with it. He trews a fireball on my face. That was the last time I played DOOM on Ultra Nightmare.

On 30.6.2016 at 6:22 PM, methy said:

Beat it the other day. Honestly the first half of the game is the most difficult. If you know what you're doing, the end game is a piece of cake once you get certain stuff.

Honestly after dying against a surprise face-to-face Cacodemon in "Argent Facility (Destroyed)" on my previous run, I was so pissed I felt like cheating, so what I did was, everytime I'd beat a level, use "Save&Exit", and then make a backup of that save.
Because I am pretty sure that if you die and lose your save, you can copy back the previous save onto it (just make sure to disable Steam cloud).
I haven't tried it, because I actually didn't die on that playthrough, but I am sure it works.

It's cheating though, but (if it works) I guess you can give it a try if you want to go for a "semi Ultra-Nightmare" where you start from the beginning of the level rather than from the beginning of the game.

I managed to complete it FINALLY on the 8th try or so two days ago. It really gets easier until the end once you get to certain levels of upgrades and use certain guns on certain mods and some well timed use of equipment...

I once experienced a similar issue when playing it in Steam on Offline mode, it happened that I died unexpectedly in Argent Facility (Destroyed) when a pinky rampaged me over a fence to the depths of the canyon between the buildings and I was stuped to notice when I started over that the save was still on Kadingir Sanctum because that's where I continued before the pinky incident happened... And I was like; "Nice bug, I don't need to start over!" and loaded the KS map and when it started I noticed that my armor & health levels started rush towards ZERO and then thought, "Uff, so they took care of it after all!" and had to start over from the beginning.

The Spider Mastermind isn't really that tough if you know what you're doing. I was practising for all the bosses on Nightmare before playing through those maps on UNM.

Great and really took some effort! :)

On 22.5.2016 at 4:46 PM, julz_d said:

I suck I keep dieing on lvl 1 XD

I haven't spent too much time with ultra nightmare but I have made it to level 2. So I guess I am at least a little bit better than you at the game :D

i managed to get to The Foundry before caving in, myself. a possessed soldier did me in at the bottom part with the gore nest, i believe.

I've tried it a number of times and have gotten at least as far as Argent Facility (Destroyed), though I think Advanced Research Complex may be the farthest I've gotten.

I plan on doing it someday for sure, it's just going to take a nice chunk of time to set aside to do it.

I've gotten to ResOps in half-hearted attempts so far.  I've noticed two things that may or may not be correct: it seems like damage is slightly higher than playing UM in arcade mode, and perhaps this is common knowledge, but I noticed earlier today that the imp has two fireball attacks.  One is just a normal ball and the other he charges that shit up and it seems to deal a serious face crushing amount of damage.

I only got through the first level for the PS4 trophy and I didn't want to continue after that. Not really interested in seriously attempting a super difficult one life only run of a game.

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

Died after I woke up from my Sarcophagus.  First or Second possessed.

Liar. Everyone knows you start off on the elevator exiting the underground facility in Ultra Nightmare. 

FAAAAAKE.

I once made it to the foundry level, destroyed 2 gore nest, and then i fell into the lava trying to get an armor item. I got super pissed for dying in such a stupid way that i've never played ultra nightmare again ever since

I was right at the beginning of the mission where you have to shut down VEGA, and I got torn to shreds by some revenant when I wasn't paying attention.

6/66 good run

On 8/15/2017 at 1:49 PM, Zemini said:

Died after I woke up from my Sarcophagus.  First or Second possessed.

I did that too to be honest. I'm used to being able to punch them a time or two and be done with it.

Well... I... I last like 40 min. Its hard. Yes, not impossible, but crap I have checkpoints, I wish I could quicksave :T 

But pretty fun, also, to know all the secrets is really helpful.

I haven't really futzed around with Ultra Nightmare too much yet.  I've only got to level 2 after multiple retries.  But while I love Doom 2016, I kinda felt that playing it a third time in a row so soon after playthrough #2 wasn't super appealing, so I'm saving it for later.

Failed the jump for that second classic level in the Resource Center. My completionist habit got the better of me.

I've gotten just to the Foundry level just far, but man, ultra-nightmare mode has made me realize just how balls to the wall intense this new Doom is. Before playing on ultra-nightmare mode, I thought that Doom 2016 was too easy, that it didn't quite capture the same sense of dread that the original had where it felt like you were up against overwhelming odds, but all that's changed. You CANNOT fuck up in combat in this mode or else you're done. You have to move, you have to be fast, you have to kill everything as quickly as possible since even weak enemies can kill you quick. Although ultra-nightmare mode can be frustrating at times due to all the restarts, it has breathed new life into the game for me. Really, in my opinion, it captures the absolute intensity, speed, and brutality of the original.

It seems like Argent Tower is pretty darn hard for anyone else too! I’ve only made at as far as that first Mancubus fight. I decided to rush the dang demon with the super shotgun thinking he was ready for death... only for him to precisely time & pull his flame throwers. :( #console

Fuck! ! ! Just died on the last fucking wave before the final boss. Jesus FUCKING Christ. .I'm not doing this shit again. No way.

First Hell Level; wasted 30 min's easily constantly retrying -- to the point where I changed the difficulty. Every level before the first Hell one was a piece of cake.