Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
evilman

Winmbf savegame problem/bug

Hi guys, I'm OCD when it comes to DOOM being vanilla as hell and I gotta say winmbf is one of the best source ports I used. However, I have bugs when it comes to savegame files. Like, everything works fine, but just recently I was playing requiem.wad and all of the sudden my 2 savegame files wouldn't load anymore, it says it's a different wad file, different wad version etc... What's the problem? Any way to fix this? 

I do realize not many people use this source port, but if you could help me with this, I'd really appreciate it, it says "reverie" but that's a wad I completed a while ago and overwrote the savegame file with reqiem.wad once I started playing requiem, the savegames worked fine and I got to map 15, 16 or something, and I got so pissed off because I can't continue... Here's a screenshot: 

WinMBF 2017-11-25 07-20-49-94.jpg

Incompatible savegames are typically there so that the game doesn't outright crash when you try to use them. I'm unaware of any solution that can handle a corrupted save, unless there are those who know how to edit the savegame binary directly (which will have varying results depending on the state of the savegame). Based on the screenshot it looks as though you're allowed to try to continue loading the game, even though it doesn't expect it to work. Have you tried hitting Y to attempt a load?

Given this error message, in spite of asking for REVERIE.WAD, I'm guessing that you're loading out of a different directory than before. Have you moved your Doom files anywhere recently, perhaps out of the Steam folder into something more exclusive? It's possible that WinMBF in its undeveloped state doesn't know how to handle these situations correctly, but it should still probably load just fine.

Thanks for the reply! 

Yeah, when I press 'y' it crashes :( 

Didn't move a thing, it's so weird... I just tried loading reverie.wad and it actually loads the save file I overwrote like 20 times playing requiem.wad, it's so weird... How is this even possible is beyond me.

Edit: I think I saw the creator of this source port posting on these forums and build 3 was actually scheduled for 2010. If you're reading this, could you please update winmbf? The source port is so enjoyable and none of the other source ports can come near it when it comes to vanilla accuracy, not even chocolate doom honestly. And yes Eternity is fine but I find winmbf more enjoyable. 

If you've found ways in which another source port does a better job of vanilla compatibility than Chocolate Doom, you should file a bug report against Chocolate Doom because that's not supposed to happen :)

Also Eternity is derived from MBF, and its Vanilla support is demonstrably the same, if not better, due to the demo support (ignoring the superior demo support in PRBoom+ and Chocolate).

Where you seem to get the idea that WinMBF is "the most vanilla accurate port" seems largely ill informed and makes me wonder if you even know what vanilla even means.