Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoodGuy

For how much longer will the Doom modding community last?

So it has been 24 years since Doom was released, and it's community still stands strong even today. But will you continue to be the part of the community for, lets say, 10 more years?

As long as the ports and features continues to evolve, as well as the community itself, it'll lasts for long...

For as long as new features are added into modern ports and more people continue to join the community with new content to create, the Doom community is going to last for a long time. It's a life journey of its own to see Doom evolve as new generations of players come in.

I wonder if id Software ever imagined the future that Doom would have back when it was released? Man oh man.

I'm of the "it won't end until society falls" mindset as well. However, if this net neutrality issue lands buttered side down and smaller websites (see: all Doom sites) become blocked by a paywall by most providers, we will see a sharp decline in numbers. I'm hopeful that won't happen, but never say never (don't want to jinx it!)

Would they even bother blocking sites that have a much smaller userbase? I'd imagine a site like this or ZDoom and such would be in any package. It's sites that everyone uses like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, the big ones I'd imagine would get paywall'd. Seems like putting a site like DoomWorld behind a paywall makes zero sense.

6 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Would they even bother blocking sites that have a much smaller userbase?

It's a lot easier to use a whitelist than a blacklist in terms of something as large as the internet.

37 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

issue

This BS definitely affect so many things they don't even have any idea. Just hope the outcome is good.

19 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Would they even bother blocking sites that have a much smaller userbase? I'd imagine a site like this or ZDoom and such would be in any package. It's sites that everyone uses like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, the big ones I'd imagine would get paywall'd. Seems like putting a site like DoomWorld behind a paywall makes zero sense.

I still don't think that ISPs would get away with paywalling large portions of the internet, even if the law allowed it. The shitstorm that would ensue will probably be enough to do serious harm to their business. Let's not forget that there is no person who does not need access to the odd site out there, sometimes even without knowing it.

The more likely outcome here will be data plans that regulate heavy traffic sites like Youtube - but having a whitelist of allowed sites is a complete losing proposition for the ISPs because it'd affect virtually everybody in some way. You cannot explicitly whitelist every bank, every small online shop, local information site and whatnot. This would bring us very close to censorship issues and involvement of the legal system, i.e. is it allowed for a commercial service provider to filter data based on political or economical bias, and I do not think that this will go well with the American legal system, Republican interference or not.

On the other hand, what I do understand is that the ISPs want some compensation for their expenses from the heavy traffic generators. It cannot be that they gobble up all the profit from congesting the data lines but don't pay a penny to widen them. I can only judge from the situation here in Germany where we do have strict net neutrality laws. The downside is that internet access in rural regions cannot keep up with the demand anymore, because there's nobody to pay for the required infrastructure - and of course it's not allowed to charce rural users more than urban users where good service is far cheaper to provide.

Back on topic: Doom has survived for 24 years, and the reasons why it did won't go away as technology improves. So unless some global disaster strikes, no, it won't go away.

37 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I still don't think that ISPs would get away with paywalling large portions of the internet, even if the law allowed it. The shitstorm that would ensue will probably be enough to do serious harm to their business.

It really can't, not unless it actually plunges America into an internet-free country.

I'm pretty sure it will only last 3 months and 11 days. I've been to the future. I know these things. iD will come out and officially announce "the DOOM modding community is dead" and everyone will just stop. They won't even tell people to stop it just will because people will think its dead so it will die.

7 hours ago, Lüt said:

I remember playing Quake for the first time when it came out and worrying that the Doom scene would quickly disappear in light of its incredibly expanded design capabilities. (That is to say, worrying that the Doom projects I was working on at the time would be swiftly ignored once I finished them since Quake would have been out for a while and become the new norm.)

I was quite relieved when Doom remained strong through the Quake era.

A little later, I felt similar concerns at the releases of Quake II, then Unreal and Half Life, but not so heavily as I did at Quake's release.

Once again, Doom remained strong.

And since then, I've stopped worrying about its longevity. There's only so long you can watch each new FPS trend come and go while the Doom community remains consistent - if not continuously growing - before you come to expect nothing else.

Consider people are still creating content for vanilla Doom, I think the community will continue for a good time to come.

Doom at this point is probably an eternal classic in the same way that Pong or Super Mario Bros are. It's had generations and generations of creators taking it in new directions, I doubt that'll fizzle out anytime soon. This question has been getting asked for as long as I can remember, but Doom's 'art scene' seems to just keep getting more and more active and varied as the years go on.

6 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

I still don't think that ISPs would get away with paywalling large portions of the internet, even if the law allowed it. The shitstorm that would ensue will probably be enough to do serious harm to their business. Let's not forget that there is no person who does not need access to the odd site out there, sometimes even without knowing it.

Many areas of the US have a single ISP with no viable competitors, so their customers have little choice but to keep giving them money even if their service is horrible.

My expected worst outcome isn't a complete blackout of sites. I expect we'll see tiered service plans, charging customers more than they're currently paying to access all their sites without speed throttling. Poorer customers would be guided towards a throttled "budget" plan, which would of course eventually cost as much as full service does now, deceitfully presented as "giving consumers more choice".

6 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

My expected worst outcome isn't a complete blackout of sites. I expect we'll see tiered service plans, charging customers more than they're currently paying to access all their sites without speed throttling. Poorer customers would be guided towards a throttled "budget" plan, which would of course eventually cost as much as full service does now, deceitfully presented as "giving consumers more choice".

That doesn't really require abolishment of net neutrality, such plans already exist (My ISP gives me the choice between 16Mbit/s for €25, 50 mbit/s for €30 and 100 Mbit/s for €40). The purpose of that is to give the ISPs some means to get money from the sites that cause high traffic, i.e. control what gets in.

So the ISPs are in a dilemma. What if they try to throttle Youtube? As a countermeasure Google may black out their entire network, causing a customer uproar. No matter how this plays out, it's going to be fun to watch... :D

10 hours ago, Nevander said:

I wonder if id Software ever imagined the future that Doom would have back when it was released? Man oh man.

The ability to create content for their games dates back to the Keen and Wolfenstein. I don't know about Shadowcaster and the like. The fact that they allowed for user content to be created and ultimately released the source code for the game speaks to how much of an integral part of the overall experience they thought it was. I'm sure they thought Doom would be big, but I would be amazed if they imagined all of this when they first released unleashed Doom.

I think it speaks to the revolutionary quality of Doom and the impact that it had on people's lives that it's still so active, even 25 years later.

21 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

That doesn't really require abolishment of net neutrality, such plans already exist (My ISP gives me the choice between 16Mbit/s for €25, 50 mbit/s for €30 and 100 Mbit/s for €40). The purpose of that is to give the ISPs some means to get money from the sites that cause high traffic, i.e. control what gets in.

So the ISPs are in a dilemma. What if they try to throttle Youtube? As a countermeasure Google may black out their entire network, causing a customer uproar. No matter how this plays out, it's going to be fun to watch... :D

I think what she means is that ISPs have been wanting for years to split the web into packages like US cable companies do. For example, $5 for "Social media", $5 for "Video", $5 for "news", etc, etc.

This already has been done by wireless carriers in Portugal. The precedent is there; just because it's a phone plan...

26 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

The ability to create content for their games dates back to the Keen and Wolfenstein.

No, not really.  Those games can certainly be hacked but they weren't designed for loading custom files the way Doom was.

19 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

No, not really.  Those games can certainly be hacked but they weren't designed for loading custom files the way Doom was.

My point was more that they considered user-generated content to be a vital part of the overall gaming experience. The fact that they designed Doom to allow for loading custom files to be easy (and later actually released the game's source code) just proves that they decided to go all in with this concept.

And thanks to that decision, the Doom community is alive and well and what it is today.

The question posed in the title of this thread is ultimately answered by you, dear OP.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Doom community lasted another many decades, if not outlive us and be continued by cockroaches after humans all collectively shrivel up and explode.

3 hours ago, Csonicgo said:

I think what she means is that ISPs have been wanting for years to split the web into packages like US cable companies do. For example, $5 for "Social media", $5 for "Video", $5 for "news", etc, etc.

This already has been done by wireless carriers in Portugal. The precedent is there; just because it's a phone plan...

The only problem is, the web is far too diverse to manage that - it will inevitably backfire.

Do you have any link to that Portuguese thing? I cannot imagine it's compliant with EU law.

37 minutes ago, Job said:

The question posed in the title of this thread is ultimately answered by you, dear OP.

I believe so, long live Doom!

Considering that people make romhacks for tons of older games like the first smb and the first Zelda and also considering that romhacking is much more tedious and hard than modding its safe to assume that the doom community will last much much longer than it already has :D