Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vladeK

Shore Fight

Well, it's been a while since I posted here.

So, I got the idea for this 2 map WAD while experimenting with colored sectors. I've been meaning to launch it last year, but due to technical issues, I am launching it now. It was designed for GZDoom, so it might have problems with other source ports, and it's based on Doom 2.
Feel free to criticise and rip into it as much as you want. I'll gladly accept any criticism.

Screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/c5O7Y

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wqf510444cbphj0/ShoreFight.rar

Well, this is a breath of fresh air from all the arena-styled maps of yesteryear. I mean, it does feel a bit schizophrenic at times when you have a segment that feels like playing Splinter Cell, only to follow it up with an encounter with a huge amount of monsters, but at least there's always this sense of progress, as in you feel that with each encounter you are progressing rather than waiting for some random arena to clear out and then to progress to the next one. It's episodic in a way... Speaking of which, the final boss(es)... uh. Visually entertaining, but overpowered and annoying. I had to savescum my way through. 

On the technical side, I had some textures glitching out in one of the rooms, but that might be because I was using an older version of GZDoom.

Overall, yeah, it gets a thumbs up from me as well.

I got stuck just past the arch-vile. I think I was supposed to shoot the switch up on the second floor, but I don't play with freelook if I'm not told to. Assuming that was right, I enjoyed Map 1 for the most part. It was a little straightforward for what I usually like, but some maps lend themselves that way, and I think this one does. 

Most, if not all of your doors are very thick and don't have their inner sides lower unpegged. Maybe that was intentional, or maybe you just forgot to do it. I also don't particularly care for so many "doors" that don't open. 

I did enjoy the vibe with the colors. At times I felt like I was playing a turn of the millennium Bond game on Playstation 2.

I thought there was way too much ammo. I was absolutely positive it was going to turn into a brutal slaughterfest, but then it just ended.

15 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I got stuck just past the arch-vile. I think I was supposed to shoot the switch up on the second floor, but I don't play with freelook if I'm not told to. Assuming that was right, I enjoyed Map 1 for the most part. It was a little straightforward for what I usually like, but some maps lend themselves that way, and I think this one does. 

[...]

I thought there was way too much ammo. I was absolutely positive it was going to turn into a brutal slaughterfest, but then it just ended.

This. I had to shoot rockets like crazy until something finally clicked and the door opened after the fight with that arch-vile.

For the ammo part however... I didn't exactly understand if you skipped to the second map or simply stopped playing after that part, but it gets weird. While the ammo boxes are very chaotically distributed, to the point of taking away from the experience, if you do not pick enough (and with the pickup limit and limited backtrack ability this turns into an ammo management game) you will die. I was down to my shotgun the first time I got to the final fight on level one and died several times. To make things worse, you'll have to be a bit lucky if you don't pass with enough guns into level 2, as the time frame until the bosses start shooting barely allows you to pile up on rockets or plasma.

Edited by GoodyGood

@GoodyGood

I'm very confused. Did we play the same map? Yes, the map had some piece-by-piece parts that prevented backtracking, but in the latter half, there was an obscene amount of plasma and rockets. I just unloaded with my plasma gun basically as soon as I got it (a few spots called for rockets) and never went below 300 cells. Even in the first half and even without a backpack, there were numerous medikits, ammo boxes, and shells.

And the Map 2 I played had probably a full 15 seconds to gather the goodies before the bosses were even on the scene.

Perhaps @vladeK made significant changes between our downloads? But our first posts were only an hour apart...

I guess I was just (very) unlucky with the pickups on the second map, as I always ended up with anything but rockets and plasma. But yeah, went through the first map and I think my memories are a bit distorted, as I now breezed through it, even through the final arena on map 1. I have no idea why my first playthrough(s) were so ammo demanding, tbh.

Well, I like to thank you both for the criticisms. Much appreciated!
Yeah, I could have designed a bit better around that shootable switch; maybe make it more obvious or something.
@HAK3180 Indeed, I have forgotten about pegging the inner sides. Only realised it right before posting the map. Also, thanks, I did the map mostly to work withe colors.
@GoodyGood Mind if you tell me where that graphic bug was? My tester reported a similar problem, and he said it might be his version of GZDoom as well, but I want to make sure the problem isn't on my end.
Also, both of you mention about time before the boss in the second map starts... uhm, there's no timer for that.

In that very same room with the tricky switch (and I think in the previous room as well) the railings periodically glitched out, turning into a sort of wall. Other than that, I don't think I ran into any bugs.