Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AleksB

New Doom 2 DW Megawad Project

Okay all, I am re-writting this whole thing so here we go.

Doom 2 based, community megawad is a new project that I think would be nice for the community to take part in!

Lets Build levels based off of Doom 2 and make them more creative.

Rules:

1) When you ask for a map slot, let me know what theme you want to do.  I.E Moon base, Hell, Caverns, Library etc...

2) No monster limit, but dont go over board with like 500 lol

3) No limit on themes.  Meaning more then one person can have the same theme, which is heavily encouraged!

4) 3D slopes, Bridges and other GZdoom features are ALLOWED.  Whats not allowed is jumping and crouching.

5) Collaborations are encouraged.

6) I would like the maps to be vanilla style.  But you have other idea in mind, post them or pm me and we can discuss further.

7)  Your maps dont have to be from a pistol start.  I made the first 2 maps already so you can make your maps anyway you want

8) Custom music is allowed as long as its not mp3 or any copy write material

9) Custom textures are not allowed, im sorry.  The point of this is to make it a doom 2 style megawad.  So default textures only please. BUT, if its small things like lights, walls with hellish demons on them, that kinda thing, then pm me and we will talk about it.  Only textures allowed are doom, doom 2, tnt and plutonia.  If you use those, please include them in the wad file.

10) ACS scripting is allowed

11) If you choose the maps that have the secret levels in them, you must have an exit for the secret level.

12) ports allowed are zdoom, gzdoom, boom, skulltag, zandronum.  But mind you, they all must work for all those ports without any issues.  So all the wads must work for all of the ports..

13) submit the links via ZIP.  Post them here for updates but you can pm me the final draft or email me. 

14) PUZZLE SOLVING MAPS ARE ENCOURAGED!

Deadline:

I originally wanted the deadline to be by the end of january, but that is unrealistic.  I want to do a 32 level megawad and that cant happen by the end of january.  SO I was thinking maybe march april ish?  Let me know what you guys think.  Im open to any suggestions.  You cant have quality if your rushed.

Speech thing: 

I got a lot of comments on how I presented this last time.  I Dont want this to be a super serious project, I want us to have fun with it.  I want everyone to know that I am dedicated to making this work, and to feature all of your guys' maps.  I want everyone to have fun with this and let your guys' creativity flow.  Lets have fun with this guys and make some cool shit!

MAP01: AleksB- Abandoned mars base

MAP 02: AleksB Sewer Mine

MAP 03:

MAP 04:

MAP 05:

MAP 06:

MAP 07:

MAP 08:

MAP 09:

MAP 10:

MAP 11:

MAP 12:

MAP 13:

MAP 14:

MAP 15:

MAP 16:

MAP 17:

MAP 18:

MAP 19:

MAP 20:

MAP 21:

MAP 22:

MAP 23:

MAP 24:

MAP 25:

MAP 26:

MAP 27:

MAP 28:

MAP 29:

MAP 30:

MAP 31:

MAP 32:

abandoned mars base.jpg

Sewer mine.jpg

Email: aleksbozovic@gmail.com

Edited by AleksB : UPDATE

I would love to contribute .

Just make sure you tell us :

-The specific format (doom 2 ,boom, doom )

-custom texures and resources that are allowed

-Which sourceport should it be tested in 

-Which themes each episode must have. 

-Deadline

Just now, A7MAD said:

-Deadline

Im sorry dude, im at work and forgot to specify that.  The format will be for doom 2.  I was thinking about only using stock textures just to keep it vanilla style.  For sourceports, test them in zdoom and gzdoom.  Gzdoom more so because for my maps i use sector lighting.  And the theme is demon invasion on mars bases, so make mars base type maps that have alot of human death from the demon invasion lol.  And also Hell maps aswell.  As for the deadline, I know it takes alot of time to make maps, so For now, a month or so.  But that can be changed.  Im not gunna be a stickler on that.  Quality over deadline.  But for now, lets go a month. Each map should be different from the others, and I dont want the monster count to exceed 200.  Im making the first map right now.  Hope this answers everything!

Just now, AleksB said:

Im sorry dude, im at work and forgot to specify that.  The format will be for doom 2.  I was thinking about only using stock textures just to keep it vanilla style.  For sourceports, test them in zdoom and gzdoom.  Gzdoom more so because for my maps i use sector lighting.  And the theme is demon invasion on mars bases, so make mars base type maps that have alot of human death from the demon invasion lol.  And also Hell maps aswell.  As for the deadline, I know it takes alot of time to make maps, so For now, a month or so.  But that can be changed.  Im not gunna be a stickler on that.  Quality over deadline.  But for now, lets go a month. Each map should be different from the others, and I dont want the monster count to exceed 200.  Im making the first map right now.  Hope this answers everything!

9 minutes ago, A7MAD said:

-Deadline

And make it Doom, and doom 2 style

Just now, bioshockfan90 said:

if you have completed maps to show off first, i'm sure people would be willing to contribute. 

Alot of my maps have been lost due to a virus that crashed my whole computer, but I have a few that I made, not for the megawad, but just for fun if you would be interested in that.  I just started working on the first map for the megawad a couple days ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ms9ic9p7vtkr24l/MAP01.wad

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qzqvjok7p2vkxaa/Valley_of_Hinnom.wad

Here are some wads that I have made after my computer crash.  Hopefully these will make you guys interested.  I didnt make these intending for the megawad, these were kinda quick ones for some friends, minus the map 01.  Map 01 took me a great amount of time to make.

Im no expert when it comes to map making, I just really love to do it and I love didicating time to making them, So i thought It would be awesome to do a community project

33 minutes ago, AleksB said:

Hey guys, So i have been wanting to make a megawad for doom 2 for a while now, and I finally started to work on the project and I thought it would be cool to do a community project for the megawad.  SO I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making a couple wads to put in this megawad.  Id love to have people make their wads for this project, it would be a fun thing to do.  I wanna make a 30 level megawad.  Vanilla style gameplay I.E no jumping, slopes, or 3d floors.  UAC base levels and some Hellish levels.  I would love to have people join in on the project so let me know if you guys are interested in joining!

I like the idea of a vanilla style Doom 2 megawad with only stock textures. I'm potentially interested.

A few questions:

1. You said you were looking for maps in about a month or so. So are you shooting to be complete by the end of the year? Or is the megawad complete when you get 30 acceptable maps?

2. Is there a particular style of play you want the levels to reflect?

3. Is there a particular limit to the number of maps one particular author can submit (minimum and/or maximum)?

Just now, Pegleg said:

I like the idea of a vanilla style Doom 2 megawad with only stock textures. I'm potentially interested.

A few questions:

1. You said you were looking for maps in about a month or so. So are you shooting to be complete by the end of the year? Or is the megawad complete when you get 30 acceptable maps?

2. Is there a particular style of play you want the levels to reflect?

3. Is there a particular limit to the number of maps one particular author can submit (minimum and/or maximum)?

Id say by the end of the year.  Im pretty damn sure all maps will be acceptable.  But like I said, the deadline can always change if things dont go as planed or what have you.  Latest I would like the mega wad to be done is by the end of january.  That would be the absolute latest id say.

As for style of play, make it like doom, doom 2 style.  Nice architecture, challenging gameplay with puzzle soving maps.  Rip and tear stylessss.

And no there will be no limit.  I will leave an email address where you can send in your maps or you can post them on my page via mediafire link.  If you send in multiple, let me know what maps you care about the most, or number them as to what you think is the best going down towards the ones you are like eh about.

24 minutes ago, AleksB said:

Id say by the end of the year.  Im pretty damn sure all maps will be acceptable.  But like I said, the deadline can always change if things dont go as planed or what have you.  Latest I would like the mega wad to be done is by the end of january.  That would be the absolute latest id say.

As for style of play, make it like doom, doom 2 style.  Nice architecture, challenging gameplay with puzzle soving maps.  Rip and tear stylessss.

And no there will be no limit.  I will leave an email address where you can send in your maps or you can post them on my page via mediafire link.  If you send in multiple, let me know what maps you care about the most, or number them as to what you think is the best going down towards the ones you are like eh about.

I think I can have a map done by the end of the year, so count me in.

1 minute ago, Pegleg said:

I think I can have a map done by the end of the year, so count me in.

Cool man, glad to have be apart of this!

Hmm, so the goal is to have vanilla style doom 2 mars techbase maps but the main source port is (g)zdoom? Seems a little overkill to me unless you would allow (g)zdoom features, Boom would seem like a more reasonable compatibility target otherwise

I'm still cutting my teeth on mapmaking, but I'd love to be part of a community project at some point, and I do love vanilla, but now that it's almost December, which is busy month for me, I'm not sure I'd find the time within just a month. 

One other question: did you want it to be like an iwad with some semblance of progression of size and difficulty or not really? If so, I may volunteer for an early, shorter, easier map.

36 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I'm still cutting my teeth on mapmaking, but I'd love to be part of a community project at some point, and I do love vanilla, but now that it's almost December, which is busy month for me, I'm not sure I'd find the time within just a month. 

One other question: did you want it to be like an iwad with some semblance of progression of size and difficulty or not really? If so, I may volunteer for an early, shorter, easier map.

Its until the end of january now

36 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Also im not sure i understand what you are asking.

*cracks knuckles*

AleksB, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Ive added links to a few previous wads ive made, and also the first level of the megawad.  I dont have much else.  If thats what is needed, then sorry I dont have much else.  This is something ive wanted to do for a long time and serious about, so people will just have to go off of that.

SOSU's Protip#45:
When you make a Megawad then always update the starting post with the newest map files,screenshots and videos.
Also making a Discord server for the project is a nice bonding experience and a good way to get feedback fast.

Discord is a chatroom-ish program for gamers (and other communities) to talk to eachother.If you want to you could download discord or just use the site to make a server for your project and invite  all the members of your project.

@AleksB 

In Doom, the first several maps are pretty short and easy. They gradually get longer and harder. No, it's not a perfect progression of length and difficulty - that would be impossible, but if you randomly play Map 04 The Focus, you know that it's probably somewhere in the Map 2-10 range. Likewise if you randomly play Map 27 Monster Condo, it's pretty obvious that that's one of the later maps.

Plutonia may be something of an exception (Congo is conspicuously not short and easy), but in general, the iwads follow a difficulty and length progression. When you have a big joint effort, that could easily go out the window if you don't specifically say you want that phenomenon. So do you want thirty 10-20 minute maps that all have plasma rifles and three different keys, or do you want an iwad reminiscent progression?

16 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@AleksB 

In Doom, the first several maps are pretty short and easy. They gradually get longer and harder. No, it's not a perfect progression of length and difficulty - that would be impossible, but if you randomly play Map 04 The Focus, you know that it's probably somewhere in the Map 2-10 range. Likewise if you randomly play Map 27 Monster Condo, it's pretty obvious that that's one of the later maps.

Plutonia may be something of an exception (Congo is conspicuously not short and easy), but in general, the iwads follow a difficulty and length progression. When you have a big joint effort, that could easily go out the window if you don't specifically say you want that phenomenon. So do you want thirty 10-20 minute maps that all have plasma rifles and three different keys, or do you want an iwad reminiscent progression?

@AleksB

The Doomworld Mega Project is an example of a collection of maps with no defined progression. All users are allowed to submit whatever they want, so long as it can be played, can be exited, and isn't abusive. So, you end up with several maps that end up grouped by submission date/format (vanilla, Boom, etc.), and you start off from a hub and each map is pistol start. So there's no "plot." You could end up with 10 consecutive maps full of Cyberdemons, BFGs, all the keys, each taking 45 minutes to finish. But that's the point of the Doomworld Mega Project, everyone submits whatever they want.

If you look at Freedoom (Phase 1 or 2), it's generally regarded as being objectively more difficult than Doom (1 or 2).

This may be somewhat reasonable given that it's fanmade, and fans are usually making levels for other fans who already know the game and aren't novices. It's generally vanilla compatible, but the levels themselves may be harder. There's still a general progression, but it starts at a higher level than the iwad.

So, you evidently have a general plot in mind (demons from Hell have overrun a UAC base and slaughtered everyone there, you come in to clean it up, fight off the demons, follow them back to their home in Hell, and stop them there forever). So it sounds like you might like a general sense of progression, the questions are:

1. Do you?

2. How do you want the difficulty to compare to the iwad?

Also, since you have a general plot, do you want to:

1. Have mappers sign up for specific map slots?

2. Have mappers sign up for specific sections of the megawad?

I didnt want this to be a strict thing. People can make what they want. I like the idea of people making some maps and sending me them ranking from how important they are to not really. Im making maps too for this. I want the progression to be like doom 2, but just because there are cyberdemons in multiple maps doesnt mean that it wont progress like that, it just means it has a ramped up challenge which is good.  I just wanna do a fun community mega wad, that everyone could enjoy.  Thats all guys.

1 hour ago, AleksB said:

I thought it would be cool to do a community project ... I like the idea of people making some maps and sending me them

Everybody likes the idea that a project would effortlessly materialize out of nowhere and said person could associate himself with the project to take credit for its creation or management, but you need to understand the problem with this, summed up by this commonly used quote that already appeared a few posts above:

AleksB, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Basically, simply saying "Let's make a project!" is so easy that anyone and everyone can do it at any and every time. And precisely for that reason, simply saying "Let's make a project!" is not interesting for anybody to hear. It's kind of a matter of course that random people want projects to happen. But mappers don't really need the incentive of any particular random person to make maps. Mappers who are currently willing to make maps tend to be already busy with their own stuff - either making maps on their own, or collaborating on projects that are already going strong - because those options are generally much more appealing than sending maps to random people who just ask.

1 hour ago, AleksB said:

Im making maps too for this. ... Here is map 01 for the megawad.

OK, but the presentation of your project still sucks. Read this thread. And learn to use the Edit button, so you can put important information and links to the thread's first post - not only it's inconvenient to search a large range of posts for info, but a content-less first post may dissuade people from reading the thread any further.

On 12/1/2017 at 0:55 PM, scifista42 said:

Everybody likes the idea that a project would effortlessly materialize out of nowhere and said person could associate himself with the project to take credit for its creation or management, but you need to understand the problem with this, summed up by this commonly used quote that already appeared a few posts above:

Basically, simply saying "Let's make a project!" is so easy that anyone and everyone can do it at any and every time. And precisely for that reason, simply saying "Let's make a project!" is not interesting for anybody to hear. It's kind of a matter of course that random people want projects to happen. But mappers don't really need the incentive of any particular random person to make maps. Mappers who are currently willing to make maps tend to be already busy with their own stuff - either making maps on their own, or collaborating on projects that are already going strong - because those options are generally much more appealing than sending maps to random people who just ask.

OK, but the presentation of your project still sucks. Read this thread. And learn to use the Edit button, so you can put important information and links to the thread's first post - not only it's inconvenient to search a large range of posts for info, but a content-less first post may dissuade people from reading the thread any further.

I understand what you guys are trying to get across.  I will do what I can to make this more legitimate for everyone.

Well crap I was going to reply to the other thread about megawads but apparently it was deleted :( I was going to show the progress on the map I made today based on the idea that someone else had of making a megawad with maps that had 150 hell knights in a square room :D So I guess I will just post it here instead. There isn't a whole lot, just the very beginning with a little tyson battle with a few HKs but I will add more to it later :) It uses cc4-tex

hksquared.zip

1 hour ago, therektafire said:

Well crap I was going to reply to the other thread about megawads but apparently it was deleted :( I was going to show the progress on the map I made today based on the idea that someone else had of making a megawad with maps that had 150 hell knights in a square room :D So I guess I will just post it here instead. There isn't a whole lot, just the very beginning with a little tyson battle with a few HKs but I will add more to it later :) It uses cc4-tex

hksquared.zip

I like the concept, but It showed alot of mssing textures, you have to use default assets.  Other then that, I like the outdoor area.  And thats weird, I didnt delete it so idk what happened