Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomed in SPACE (old development thread)

Thanks for the feedback Memfis. Within the extended version of .BEX format (that contains the railgun firing commands and other such zdoom-specific stuff) I couldn't find any way to tell an enemy "stop firing if distance is greater than X". I don't want to remove the enemy because I really like how he works in close quarters, but I agree that it breaks his functionality entirely in large areas.

Anyone have any suggests for this than can work within extended bex limitations? What I'd really prefer would be to simply extend the "melee" range and have him shoot fire when you're close, or perhaps a lone plasma ball or single pistol shot if you're far so he isn't rendered entirely useless.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Hmm. Is it possible to make it so that he shoots for a few seconds and then stops for a moment to get closer to you? Might be tricky in BEX... And I guess you can't use Decorate or Dehsupp if you want Odamex compatibility?

So I just hosted this in ZDaemon survival. We started with 1 life but quickly jumped up to 2 because the difficulty felt really overwhelming. I don't know if it was because of additional coop monsters or what, but I think you went way too far with it. You've got all these kinds of enemies with arachontron-like attacks, they are quite dangerous even alone and yet you're using them in such large groups. A lot of levels were frustratingly hard and required extremely slow and careful playing in order to survive. Some starts are outrageous: Map02 with tons of monsters pressuring you and barely any ammo, Map07 with that cyberdemon forcing you to jump down where you have like 2 square inches of cover due to the damaging water and get smashed once you open the door, and Map08 where two of us somehow managed to get stuck in the first room. This was way too painful for what I expected to be good mindless multiplayer fun. I'm not sure, maybe you balanced it more for coop with infinite lives, but in that case please rethink it a little and make it more playable in survival (less klesks or whatever they are, less fucking hectebuses, smaller groups in general, more ammo). Really, you should just host this on Doomshack and experience it for yourself to see how ridiculous the coop balance is. :D I'll be sure to join you!

lmao, a few days ago I haphazardly slapped a bunch of high tier monsters in for co-op.. If you wouldn't mind Memfis, could you try it again, but with the build in this thread? It's a couple weeks older than yours and doesn't have the coop monsters added. I want to see if its better that way because if so I'll simply revert it.

Thanks for testing man!

EDIT

older build (w/o coop enemies) https://doomshack.org/uploads/dspace_beta100.wad

Edited by Doomkid

The download link doesnt seem to work for me for some reason, says the site can't be reached apparently. Could you provide a mirror if possible, please?

EDIT: Nvm, tried again by going to the download from the site itself.

EDIT 2: Played through the first 2 maps, and im liking it so far! I didn't have that many problems with it, the weapons sound and are nice to use and most of the new enemies are a fresh break from hellspawn, even if there are a few demons in there.

Edited by Claus

I've been slaving away over this, stayed up way too late for a work night.. However, it's coming in under 24 hours - Hope you all will enjoy it!

Excellent news, really enjoyed playing through the beta! 

Congrats to Doomkid and the rest of the team, solid map set! Looking forward to EP2 :-)

3 hours ago, Liberation said:

Looking forward to EP2 :-)

Doomed in Space 2: The Return to Doomed Space

The sequel that we need!

Hey peoples - Started a new thread for the release for the sake of keeping things organized. Check it out and please give us some feedback: