Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsareppsun

Well, Is'nt this interesting......"Phobos, Hip deep in powder"

After seeing that small pic on page 65 of the D3 article on PCGAMER, under the bigger pic of the fat zombie. I just thought I should show everyone this, especially the creators at "id", I'd hope this would give them stronger insight on how to create the "Visual Setting" of the Phobos chapter in DooM3.

Look here... http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/release/98/maspbobos.html
Opinions anyone?

Well, The best I can tell ya'll at this point is go to your search engines a type (Phobos, Knee deep in powder) and it'll give some pages to look into, just click on ULR that matches the site I was trying to link to.

na - a good reason why it takes place right ON mars is that before mentioned small pic under under the fat zombie AND the image of mars on the UAC homepage.
phobos btw is a small and dusty odd rock without any use to the human mankind. mars would fit better for a big uac base.

Phobos could be a security location if something went wrong on Mars. But then again, is Deimos bigger than Phobos, and what has Deimos that Phobos doesn't have? Fill me in.

In reality, both Phobos and Deimos are useless locations for any kind of base. They're only a few dozen miles on a side, they have very little gravity and Mars just sounds cooler.

MRB_Doom said:

Phobos could be a security location if something went wrong on Mars. But then again, is Deimos bigger than Phobos, and what has Deimos that Phobos doesn't have? Fill me in.

No. Phobos is larger than Deimos. And is the inner moon of mars and Deimos is the outer moon. Phobos also have much more crators impacts, while Deimos's surface is far more smoother.

Phobos("FEAR")- 28-20 kilometers(17 by 12 miles) Rises in the West, sets in the East. Moves very rapidly across the sky of mars. Usually twice a day.

Deimos("PANIC")- 15 by 12 kilometers(10 by 7.5 miles) Circles Mars every 30 hours.

Maybe it could be a docking bay for spaceships where cargo are transferred to smaller vessels better suited for entering the atmosphere.

I dunno, Phobos sounds pretty cool too. One thing that could add to the atmosphere is the shape, how its kinda fucked up, its more like a big rock instead of a moon, for some reason that just seems creepier.

My Mom mentioned to me once that it was either Phobos or diemos she couldn't remember. But one of them had scientists asking themselves weather the moon rock was artificial or not because one of them orbits mars in a perfect circle while every other moon orbits in on oval. She's said that she was pretty sure it was phobos.
In a book about Space I have it mentions something about scintist's sending signals to phobos an their machiens got all messed up. ?????????

ShapeShifter said:

My Mom mentioned to me once that it was either Phobos or diemos she couldn't remember. But one of them had scientists asking themselves weather the moon rock was artificial or not because one of them orbits mars in a perfect circle while every other moon orbits in on oval. She's said that she was pretty sure it was phobos.
In a book about Space I have it mentions something about scintist's sending signals to phobos an their machiens got all messed up. ?????????

yes! at least phobos was "catched" by the mars gravity. it's an alien rock. i dont know much 'bout deimos.
and one of those two moons is also doomed to thud mars in a couple of 100,000 years (or more?).

it's very unlikely that one of those moons will be used for a manned security or flight control base. those rocks have no own atmosphere and their gravity is very low. due to the lack atmosphere meteorites, etc keep hitting those moons.

for me mars seems to be a better suited place for the doom3 set.

uniQ said:

yes! at least phobos was "catched" by the mars gravity. it's an alien rock. i dont know much 'bout deimos.
and one of those two moons is also doomed to thud mars in a couple of 100,000 years (or more?).

it's very unlikely that one of those moons will be used for a manned security or flight control base. those rocks have no own atmosphere and their gravity is very low. due to the lack atmosphere meteorites, etc keep hitting those moons.

for me mars seems to be a better suited place for the doom3 set.

Unless, they incorporate a sort of gravity generator thing inside the core of the moon to keep it afloat, thus turning the moon into something like a floating space station for mining purposes.

I'm particularly interested in the view from Phobos.
I'll bet it kicks ass to see Mars from such a close distance. Can't wait..

Disorder said:

I'm particularly interested in the view from Phobos.
I'll bet it kicks ass to see Mars from such a close distance. Can't wait..

If there is a reason to set Doom 3 on Phobos it'd be to have this kickass view of Mars looming over the sky of Phobos.

cool little pic... doesn't really look like you're actually standing on the moon though. Looks more like you're floating above it.

Yeah, Phobos and Deimos were probably just choosen for their names, agreed.

The moons may be a bit useless... but you could always stick some rockets on them and drop their orbit to crash them into mars. :) That's what they do in a book called <i>Red Mars</i>. The moon collides with a force of a million atomic bombs (or something humungous like that) and the dust that circulates through Mars' atmosphere helps create a greenhouse effect to terraform the planet.

Heh, I like the "knee deep" slip up.. 8)

dsm said:

If there is a reason to set Doom 3 on Phobos it'd be to have this kickass view of Mars looming over the sky of Phobos.

I'd still would love it to look like that level called "Phobos Arena" in Unreal Tournement. Looking out of any of the windows and view that "GIGANTIC" Mars rotating overhead

"SIGHHH!" Makes the heart sink.

Disorder said:

Okay, I just made something myself.
My guess is, it would probably look something like this: Mars seen from Phobos

Cute pic, Man How'd you do it? I'd sure would like to see if you could create the picture I'd described for the D3 box cover art.

But if that's to be Phobos, You'd have to bring Mars ALOT closer than that. Remember, Phobos is the inner moon and is pretty close orbit over mars. The pic you made is too far away, even for Deimos.