Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doommarine_maxi

What's the different between bsp and bsp noflood?

Hi, I was editing some maps with darkradiant but when I tried to compile them with Doom 3 editor It don't allow me to compile with bsp but yes with bsp no flood.
I open the same map with the original Doom 3 editor (without editing them first with dark radiant, only with this editor) and it allows me to compile with bsp.

Now the question, what's the difference between bsp and bsp noflood?, it affects performance?

Btw, I noticed some bugs when I tried to open some custom maps with darkradiant. Sometimes walls disappear, or another times all the map is bugged (REALLY BUGGED). But I open the same maps with the Original Doom editor, and there's no problem. (It happened that to me with some maps, not all)

I don't know what technicality resides behind "bsp noflood", but I advise you not to use it since apparently it ignores the rule of sealed geometry. You can leave a wall open to the void and it will compile, and you'll find lighting glitches outside the map via noclip and faces that should not be there at all because the are caulked in the editor.

I guess Darkradiant don't have the Doom 3 compiler since is independent of the engine, but you can still compile the maps with Doom 3 via console by using the "dmap" command, for instance: "map map1.map" will load the map if it's in the Doom3 map folder, and "dmap map1.map" will compile the map.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about it will give you a better response.

4 hours ago, Doommarine_maxi said:

Btw, I noticed some bugs when I tried to open some custom maps with darkradiant. Sometimes walls disappear,

Check if you don't have any visual filters set. Also hit Ctrl+Shift+H (show all) because it's possible some of the geometry was hidden by some accident.

I want to share something about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0LhVkj5g8w

The video in the top is the insonmia map 1 edited with Doom 3 Edit and compiled with bsp (no leaks, the original map had leaks)
The video in the bottom is the same map but edited with DarkRadiant and compiled (bsp no flood).

Check the FPS text in both, ignore the video fps (since the video editor 'fixed' the lag)

'bsp noflood' allows the map to have leaks because it skips the 'flooding' phase of map compilation, where all of the outside and other non-visible faces of the map are removed. It pretty much defeats the purpose of compiling a map altogether, since it won't be optimized and many crucial aspects of the game won't operate properly. So yes, it definitely affects performance.

'bsp noflood' is an easy way to see your map in-game when it won't compile otherwise, but really the better alternative is to use the 'File->Pointfile' option. When you do that, a red line will appear in the editor that shows the geometric path the engine took before hitting an entity inside your map(that's when it stops compiling to tell you there's a leak). Hit 'Shift+Ctrl+K' to take the editor camera view along each point of the red line, and you should be able to see where the leak in your map is. After sealing the leak, you can try again by re-bsping.

Note that the compiler will stop as soon as it detects a leak, so if you have multiple leaks in your map, you may need to keep re-bsping in order to find them all. It can be an arduous task, but it's worthwhile in order to make sure your map is better optimized, and it also helps you become more acclimated to map building in general. 

Thanks for the explanation Caffeine Freak, I was hoping to get enlightened in this matter.

I would like to share an horrible method I saw in many amateurs maps. When they don't know how to solve a leak, they create a big room with caulk texture in order to compile with no leaks (bsp).

BUT this IS A BAD idea, because the performance is horrible, its better to solve every leak in order to get a good performance.

So never do that in a map please.

On 01/12/2017 at 0:46 PM, Doommarine_maxi said:

I would like to share an horrible method I saw in many amateurs maps. When they don't know how to solve a leak, they create a big room with caulk texture in order to compile with no leaks (bsp).

BUT this IS A BAD idea, because the performance is horrible, its better to solve every leak in order to get a good performance.

So never do that in a map please.

The first time I created a Doom 3 map I wasn't even aware that you needed visportals and could not understand why framerate dropped once my map started getting bigger -_-