Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

What do you eat?

Not only is Doom loved in many cultures and countries, but Doomworld it's self is quite a multicultural community. I love hearing about other countries, So what I want to Know is what do you like to eat, or commonly eat, and what are some typical foods eaten in your country?

One oddity I don't hear much about around the world is a special food we can commonly see at fairgrounds, the Deep Fried Oreo. deep-fried-oreo-mr.jpg?itok=wtj7COMG

food

I like anything that has a good mix of meat and veggies when it comes to substantive meals. Tacos with fresh lettuce, onion and tomatoes = delish. Pepperoni pizza with bell peppers, onions and mushrooms = delish.

As far as more unusual stuff goes, back when I was still with Jules we baked these tiny leek pies that were honestly some of the best things I've ever eaten in my entire life. Perfectly flakey, buttery pastry with nice warm, soft leek inside. Looked very similar to these:

little-chicken-and-leek-pies.jpg

Stinky tofu! I have the stuff every day. No, actually just once, in Singapore.

Being a vegetarian is a very useful protection against most of "you must try our local delicacy" business. Termites in Costa Rica and poisonous rotten shark in Iceland were both things I could politely decline. I have a funny video of my wife spitting out the shark meat though. I expect that at some point it will help when I am offered kiviaq in Greenland. It's important not to get it mixed up with qiviut, which is really nice muskox wool. </GreenlandTravelTips>

I make Colorado-style green chili once a month or so.  That's one of the more local things I eat.  It's different from New Mexico style in that it's generally thicker, hotter, has pork bits in it, and sometimes has tomatoes in it (though I hate pieces of tomato, so I use tomato paste in mine).  I greatly prefer it to New Mexico style chili.

More generally, I prefer chicken, elk, and pork dishes (fried without breading, or grilled) with a side of veggies (peas, corn, broccoli, or carrots usually).  I also love adding a ton of onions to my dishes.  Aside from that, I also eat a huge amount of various curry dishes, and make a lot of blue collar Japanese stuff.  What I don't like are seafood, most fruit, and a lot of sweets.

I think I've also drank enough black tea over the years that it has replaced the blood inside of my body.

I tried to go on a diet primarily of salad in the day/morning and two pieces of fish in the evening, but I have been fucking it up some times and go and buy either a snack of shapes or fast food.

I like lots of japanese and indian food, but I mostly eat the kind of "créole cuisine" as can be found on Haiti, for example, which is basically a mix of lots of different influences, including african, mediterranean and more. Rice, beans, vegetables, fruits, nuts and berries, everything that has roots goes, and you don't want me anywhere near a salad bar, because I fucking love salad. Should I lay eyes on strawberries, cherries, oranges, pineapples or bananas it's the same as with salad in my case. I also eat pineapples and bananas on pizza, because it's awesome, and I don't care what your "pineapple-on-pizza-meme-generator" says. I don't eat any sort of meat, fish, poultry etc...

This site happens to examplify some of the dishes that belong to the "créole cuisine" that I was talking about. There's probably a little something for everybody there: https://www.miamiculinarytours.com/haitian-creole/

I can't say I eat everything, but I do have a pretty wide palate and enjoy a great deal of cuisines. Pho's probably my favorite food, with Vietnamese, Japanese, and both Mexican and Tex-Mex being some of my favorite cuisines. Italian, Cajun, and American barbeque are great too, and I do enjoy a good Indian curry or tandoori every so often.

I can't stand raw tomato, though, and coffee and alcohol both taste foul to me. Granted, I like alcoholic beverages as a cooking ingredient, because the flavors they have without the alcohol are oh-so-nice.

I'm pretty boring.

Among other things I did in college was a Dietary Manager certificate.

But that was only officializing something I was already doing.

I basically calculate nutrients based on whatever daily activities I do, gather the appropriate base foods and supplements in their simplest form, and organize them in the usual manners (blend, sandwich, rollup, etc.).

Which is at least a decade-long routine at this point, so my stuff's been set for a long time and I don't have to think much about it.

The result is usually me turning down a lot of the deluxe foods/misc garbage everybody loves, so I'm not particularly cultured in that regard, but if nothing else, I'll say that visiting Paris gave me whole new appreciation for bread.

Just remembered how much I LOVE beer-battered foods, when it comes to the extremely unhealthy yet delicious practice of deep frying. If there's a choice between regular batter and beer batter for something fried, I'll always go with the beer. I love most beer though so this is no surprise. When I was younger alcohol disgusted me, but one day in my teens my taste buds just flipped a switch and I've loved it ever since.

I also have fast food more than I should :C Mostly just due to being exhausted when I get in from work though, not by desire.. A home cooked meal is always superior to conveyor belt junk

3 hours ago, Grazza said:

Being a vegetarian is a very useful protection against most of "you must try our local delicacy" business. Termites in Costa Rica and poisonous rotten shark in Iceland

I'm not vegetarian but just reading that sentence made my stomach turn.. I might pretend to be one just for the easy excuse if I find myself traveling!

It would be easier if I just listed the things that I don't eat:

Cabbage rolls

Brussel sprouts

Quiche

Meat pies

Canned tuna

Cheetos

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll edit this if anything else comes to mind.

1 hour ago, grouchbag said:

I'm a vegetarian, but I'll try almost anythng new as long as it was never alive.

... So, you subside entirely on milk, eggs, and honey?

7 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

Are you suggesting that lymphocytes aren't life? If so, RUDE.

Probably making up 98% of my diet, roughly in order...

- 3 egg omelettes (bacon, tomato, mushroom, green onion)

- Chicken wings

- Steak (ribeye, striploin)

- Baked chicken breast

- Roasted vegetables (sweet potato, carrots, beets)

- Rotisserie chicken

- Fresh carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc

- Calamari

- Haagen Dasz

- Beef jerky

- Pork rinds

- Cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts philberts,

- Coffee w/ whipping cream

- Zevia brand soda

- Whole milk

6 hours ago, Grazza said:

Stinky tofu! I have the stuff every day. No, actually just once, in Singapore.

Being a vegetarian is a very useful protection against most of "you must try our local delicacy" business. Termites in Costa Rica and poisonous rotten shark in Iceland were both things I could politely decline. I have a funny video of my wife spitting out the shark meat though. I expect that at some point it will help when I am offered kiviaq in Greenland. It's important not to get it mixed up with qiviut, which is really nice muskox wool. </GreenlandTravelTips>

Good to see another fellow vegetarian, especially one who plays Doom.

Meat and cheese with bread,that's all i eat.Also since this thread is about "foreign" food i also like 1 day old byrek (it's always better the next day after it was made imo)

Bacon + Eggs

Brussel sprouts

"Meat pies" as some people call them.

Coffee

Cheetos

Chicken

Jellied eels

Potatos

Meat

Melted cheese on Garlic Bread

Garlic

-Other various food stuff.

Edited by MrD!zone

6 hours ago, Arctangent said:

Granted, I like alcoholic beverages as a cooking ingredient, because the flavors they have without the alcohol are oh-so-nice.

Cooked beer = marmite/yeast.

Cooked wine = vinegar.

Cooked brandies and other flavored liquors = syrups.

Cooked vodka = water :-p

I eat pizza 90% of the time. It never gets old. Different brands do, the food itself does not. I fucking love pizza.

What do you eat

Eat is your God

This thread will probably make me wish I had better eating habits. I really need to start cooking things instead of relying on junk so much.

6 hours ago, SOSU said:

Also since this thread is about "foreign" food i also like 1 day old byrek (it's always better the next day after it was made imo)

Probably because dough has time to soak in whatever it was stuffed with.

When I'm not depressed, I cook a lot. I make a vat of tomato sauce and freeze most of it, thawing it out as needed for my pasta dishes, homemade pizza, eggplant parmesan, etc. I can also make a wicked stir fry, chicken teriyaki, orange chicken, and a lot of other Asian-american dishes. 

When I'm depressed, I binge on Popeye's, Burger King, and Arby's since they're all about 2 minutes away from my house. I've been eating a lot of fast food lately :( 

8 hours ago, Arctangent said:

Hate milk, honey too sweet, eggs?I'm a vegetarian, I said.And I loathe plain tofu.I like my veggies a lot.New vegetarian recipes are interesting.Fresh from the garden is great.One thing I hate the most is oatmeal.Eeeewwwww!!!!!!Love spicy stuff, especially on a salad.Hope this answers your question?

5 minutes ago, grouchbag said:

Hate milk, honey too sweet, eggs?I'm a vegetarian.And I loathe plain tofu.I like my veggies a lot.New vegetarian recipes are interesting.Fresh from the garden is great.

That's literally the exact opposite of a "eat anything that was never alive" diet. You basically have to entirely subside on animal byproducts and entirely synthetic food for something like that, the latter of which I'm not even sure exists yet.

EDIT: Oh, right, there's like nectar and syrup, too, although you have to carve into a living thing for syrup so counting that makes any part of an animal that it can survive without count too.

I drink a metric fuck ton of soda.

I love trying new sodas too. My favorite soda though usually is either a Code Red, or a Dr Pepper. Sometimes I like some Coca Cola in a glass bottle though.

25 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

That's literally the exact opposite of a "eat anything that was never alive" diet. You basically have to entirely subside on animal byproducts and entirely synthetic food for something like that, the latter of which I'm not even sure exists yet.

EDIT: Oh, right, there's like nectar and syrup, too, although you have to carve into a living thing for syrup so counting that makes any part of an animal that it can survive without count too.

Well for me it has a different meaning.I don't like anything that's sweet.

1 minute ago, grouchbag said:

Well for me it has a different meaning.I don't like anything that's sweet.

Having a different meaning of "what's alive" is a pretty concerning sign, y'know, especially when it seems pretty arbitrary.