Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herzon

Worst Doom Level

I, um...I actually enjoy Nirvana.  Why do people hate it so much?  For me, the real Doom II clunker is The Citadel.  (I'm pretending that The Chasm doesn't exist, for obvious reasons.)

Dis is the most disappointing level, imo.  I'm one of the shittiest Doom players ever, but I still beat it on my first try.  BFG for the win, I suppose?

Edited by Dirk

I can't remember the Doom 2(?) map, but you start outdoors and go inside this big temple shaped like a + sign and have the damaging floor in the center of the temple. If you want to get out of it, you have to go to the center and use the elevator to go up and take the teleporter. Then you have to fight barons and shit and eventually a Cyberdemon at the very end area. You can either fight him close quarters and get right up in his face while trying not to fall of the ledge, or you can try to snipe him from the shittiest angles. Fuck that map.

Also I think E3M2? Map shaped like a hand? Fuck that map too. 

Doom: E2M3; the intermission music kinda gets annoying after a while

Doom II: MAP09-MAP32; Awful level design, awful music, awful enemies.

Plutonia: MAP01-MAP32; I wanna know who thought "Let's put chaingunners and archviles and revenants everywhere! That'll be fun!" because it's not fun.

TNT: MAP01-MAP32; Very, veeerrrrryyyyyyyy boring. I can't even get past MAP02 without wanting to switch to another map. Also, there are an awful lot of puzzles, more than I'd like in a classic Doom game.

it boggles my mind to say that you love the chasm but hate the pit. beyond being synonymous they're basically the perfect complement to one another

you crazy doomers

39 minutes ago, Pyrolex said:

I always use IDMUS to change the music. The map itself is fine though.

The unconquerable king of hateful official-IWAD levels is The Plutonia Experiment MAP11 "Hunted".

Second through fourth places are occupied by the three versions of MAP30.

Fifth place goes to E4M1.

Because of all of you guys, this thread is at its third page of people saying their least favorite Doom levels or just talking about how crappy The Chasm is! Thank you all for posting on this thread and making it THIS BIG. Anyways, back to posting on other threads and expecting my notifications to be invaded.

I hate E3M2 Slough of Despair...I don't like any of the outside levels, but for some reason, this one in particular annoys me!

I think that's because this map is big HAND?

P.S.: Have no big problems with this map (E3M2).

P.P.S.: I really don't like E2M6.

On 12/2/2017 at 4:26 AM, Herzon said:

Because of all of you guys, this thread is at its third page of people saying their least favorite Doom levels or just talking about how crappy The Chasm is! Thank you all for posting on this thread and making it THIS BIG. Anyways, back to posting on other threads and expecting my notifications to be invaded.

Am I really one of the few people who really likes The Chasm?

On 10/22/2017 at 0:20 AM, Job said:

Dis. 

Iconic, but a garbage level nonetheless. It's an even bigger disappointment over what it could have been in context of its namesake. One gets the impression that the id was running out of steam and time, wanting to get the product shipped. 

Which makes it kind of funny since it was the first map they made. You'd figure they would've had some time to go back and rework it.

You know that scene in Office Space where the guy is seeing the therapist and he says that every day is the worst day of his life, and how each day is somehow even worse than the day before? That’s what playing TNT is like.

On 12/1/2017 at 0:44 PM, Pyrolex said:

Doom II: MAP09-MAP32; Awful level design, awful music, awful enemies.

Plutonia: MAP01-MAP32; I wanna know who thought "Let's put chaingunners and archviles and revenants everywhere! That'll be fun!" because it's not fun.

TNT: MAP01-MAP32; Very, veeerrrrryyyyyyyy boring. I can't even get past MAP02 without wanting to switch to another map. Also, there are an awful lot of puzzles, more than I'd like in a classic Doom game.

In other words, you thought Doom was great, except for one map, and you hated the last 75% of Doom 2 and all of Plutonia and TNT.

So, after Tricks and Traps, Doom just sort of went spiraling downhill for you?

At least you still have the original Doom and a variety of pwads.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:13 AM, Zulk RS said:

Am I really one of the few people who really likes The Chasm?

I think the biggest problem that people have with The Chasm is those narrow pathways that you have to walk across. One of the sets of walkways is surrounded by an inescapable nukage pit. These walkways would be an annoyance, you could just go slowly and watch where you step, except for one minor point -- you can't look down.

Those hating on The Chasm are heretics. It's objectively the most chasm-esque map on Doom 2, with only The Pit coming close but that's just a pit. My personal pick for the worst level is MAP16: Suburbs. That ain't no suburb and it's kind of garish to look at, with it's giant level envolving wall of brown-grey-dead plantlife. The teleport ambush when you grab the key in that acid lake thing is actually pretty cool tho. (Also I know that most doom levels dont look like what they are supposedly named after, but atleast you can mostly believe what they could actually represent. Thing is I can't see a suburb in 2 houses surrounded by a bunch of black walls with 3 pillars to one side, an acid lake with 3 small caves next to it, a house housing a fireblu decoration with a few "execution by hanging" stations occupied by mancubi next to it, a building full of dead stuff wich actually isnt because you go inside and all you find are boners, and a building made out of black squares with silver outlines.)

TNT "Habitat" for sure, it's just horrible, it looks like it comes straight out of Mock2,  how did that thing get accepted into the game? 

Edited by AsianMammoth

TNT Map 27 - Mount Pain

The design is terrible & ugly. The whole flow of the level is not fun either, especially the way exit is designed with arch-vile pwning you from the distance.

Any level after Map 20 in TNT is terrible but 27 takes the cake.

Oh & it has a bad music track.

Doom II Map 28 Spirit World, and definitely not because I'm still super salty about that not so obvious exit switch that exists nowhere else in Doom, requiring you to randomly shoot a symbol on the wall.

Doom 2's Barrels 'O Fun, no doubt about that.

Piece of shit map, I'm pretty sure even the name is supposed to mock the player. Even if it goes well after a couple of tries it still feels much more like a "filler" map than a real Doom one, and the enemy placement in some areas is simply rage inducing, such as these ones: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Q5PaJri0mw0/maxresdefault.jpg <- Seriously, an Archvile waiting in the left that almost every time toasted me right after I set foot inside. Until I got pissed and took out my BFG and blasted him into oblivion, only to encounter another one in the next area that is seemingly capable of surviving direct hits from the BFG. At least that one didn't kill me with one hit I suppose...

Another area would be the one which has a Chaingunner placed to your left and right and barrels in front of the teleporter at the exit. Ugh, alright, it's good to see maps that are challenging the player, yes, but there is no such thing to be found here, only rage and frustration.

I adore The Chasm. When I think Doom II, it's one of the first three maps that come to mind, I love it. The only thing I could fault about it is the last area, where if you fall off, there's no getting back up.

That being said, there isn't necessarily a Doom level I hate, but whenever E3M5: Unholy Cathedral loads I die a little on the inside. To this day I still don't know which teleporter leads where. I only ever (slightly) enjoy that level in Co-op.

Just Ultimate Doom's E2M3. Like anyone else would say, hearing the intermission music on loop isn't really all that great sounding. The level itself I'm fine with, but the music is what bothers me. Sometimes I just cheat and crawl through the little window to get directly to the window.

3 hours ago, Stripey said:

The only thing I could fault about it is the last area, where if you fall off, there's no getting back up.

Fun fact, the GBA version adds a teleporter. Even the people tasked with porting it realized that was a load of crap. Granted, since it's cut in half, the teleporter leading back is now worthless so pick your poison.

Ultimate Doom: All of Episode 4

Doom 2: The Pit, The Citadel, and The Chasm

TNT: Metal, Administration Center, Habitat, and Mount Pain.

Plutonia: Speed, The Omen, Tombstone, The Final Frontier, and Anti-Christ.