Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Doom The Way id Did

December, 2017

dtwid.png

> Download DTWiD
> 2017 Season Standings

Leaderboard

1. [3] Survived +3 [0:44:39] kmc - Finger Lickin' Doom.
  2. [2] Survived +3 [1:27:47] Bloodite Krypto - Not even disinterest can kill Krypto like it can his speedrunning compatriots.
  3. [3] Survived +3 [2:11:08] NaZa - I liked it better when you were a cellar dweller propping up my rank.
  4. [3] Survived +3 [2:25:05] Suitepee - Something different from Suitepee as he goes all-out in pursuit of mutt's time. Congratulations!
  5. [2] Survived +3 [2:36:50] Alfonzo - Almost carked it in e3m6... but not for the reason you think (it's the second reason)! Pretty slow going.
  6. [3] Survived +3 [3:01:49] Bashe - Nicely done, Bashe. Vanilla exit strategies.
  7. [3] Survived +3 [3:06:23] an_mutt - Looks like it's going to be a sudden death for the Brit Bowl Boys.
  8. [2] Survived +2 [3:00:40] Roofi - 1993 threw the kitchen crushers and all, but DTWiD is a forgiving Hell.
  9. [2] Survived +2 [3:06:17] WH-Wilou84 - Not the smoothest of sailings for Wilou, but customary resilience sees him through.
  10. [1] Survived +2 [4:59:21] dt_ - What a way to join the 1% club!
  11. [2] Survived +1 [2:51:12] SSGmaster - Another UD victory for the Ironman with the most points in the SSG skill tree. Suspicion mounts!
  12. [2] e3m6: Beginner - :boom: The second most disqualifying moment :boom:
  13. [2] e3m6antares031 - Braved the crusher/nukage corridor and come off second best.
  14. [2] e3m6Eris Falling - Now you've gone and done it. Total whitewash, Eris! Crushed and chewed apart by demons.
  15. [2] e3m6NoisyVelvet - Sensational at Doom. 10/10. This is up there with Archi's death in e4m5 of Crusades.
  16. [1] e3m6Crusader No Regret - Imp can't believe its luck. Fear and Trepidation++
  17. [1] e3m6: Big Ol Billy - "Of all the maps to start 2% health with!"
  18. [1] e3m5JudgeDeadd - A moment of indecision spells Doom between a crusher and two barons.
  19. [2] e3m4Aquasa - What an excellent decision jumping into that blood pool was. That rad suit would have been entirely useless.
  20. [2] e3m4Anima Zero - Who needs green armor in this sort of heat? Shit sticks to your skin.
  21. [1] e3m4Veinen - Unequivocally the most disqualifying moment in Ironman considerations. And yet I still selected it, hmm...
  22. [1] e3m4A2Rob - Another one bites the ceiling :(
  23. [2] e3m4DaIcemann76 - I'll be honest, I forgot that These Crushers even existed. Just how many did we put in this damn WAD?
  24. [1] e3m142PercentHealth - Did well to survive as long as he did without armaments.
  25. [3] e2m6Urthar - I remember trying to time my runs under those crushers when testing. It was stupid then and it's a bit funny stupid now.
  26. [2] e2m5yakfak - Followed guineu into the green stuff and melted. Fun going with some close calls in the first episode!
  27. [2] e2m5guineu - My kingdom for a rad suit. The first of many deaths running desperately through the nukage.
  28. [2] e2m2Ancalagon - Just 1993 Things. Crushers and collapsing bridges and damaging floors.
  29. [2] e2m2cannonball - I mean, you definitely managed to escape. Score two for Surprise Contender for "Best" Crusher Award.
  30. [1] e1m6bzzrak - Chewed up by a "gay spectre." The positioning is pertinent, I imagine.
  31. [2] e1m2duvel - Somewhere in the distance, a hobomaster is laughing feeling sympathetic.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

In December 2017 the DWIronman League dies to Doom The Way id Did, -complevel 3 (Doom (strict)). What, had you forgotten? DOOM is the original Christmas WAD! Take your H2H XMas and shove it!

DTWiD is a full three-episode replacement for Doom that was made to mimic the level design of Romero, Petersen and Hall in an uncompromising way. As such, well... it plays like the original game, and comes replete with most of the trends and oddities that you've come to expect of our favorite Dallas cowboys; meaning that you're probably more likely to get crushed or pitted or blown apart by barrels than die to one of the WAD's many innocuous demons. Speed is the name of the game then, yes, but so too is evading some of the most cruel and controversial traps known to 1993 2011. The obituaries for [THOSE BARRELS] and [THAT CRUSHER] are waiting in a WAD that's otherwise the easiest yet.

This is the first Ironman in which a single challenge/WAD comprises multiple episodes. Because there is an intended order to these episodes, you are required to begin with the first one and work your way through to the final. Results are not cumulative a la Vae Victus or Endgame/Point, meaning that death will prevent you from recording runs on episodes you weren't able to reach. Please zip the total number of recordings for convenience!

If you're not interested in preserving your blindness for Cat 1 labeling but still want to stay in the running for a top finish, be sure to consult the wiki for information regarding secret level access. Merry Christmas!

Potential Game-stoppers and Bugs

• None documented, yet
prboom-plus -file DTWID.wad -deh DTWID.deh -complevel 3 -warp -skill 4 -record my_demo

Spoiler
  • One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom or Eternity), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No other wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt offline. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • You are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you scout only the first level of a WAD you're otherwise unfamiliar with and die in the first level, you should list your run as [3] instead of [2]. If you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I can't remember the details of any one area in a way that would offer an advantage over truly blind players.

2. This is a familiar run. I have played or watched the level/set being played before — even if it's only one area — and can remember enough details to have an advantage over blind players.

3. This is a prepared run. I played the WAD to some extent after it was announced for this month's Ironman but before declaring an official run.

Previous Threads
Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

Well, I've played through this once before on livestream; I remember thinking it was kind of.....meh to play. I don't recall it being too difficult.

Anyways, an_mutt is 6-5 up in the Britbowl for this deciding month and goes first this time around, so I'll have to hope for some kind of choke job lest I be forced to contest on both maps cleared AND time....

14 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

The perfect setup for a perfect disappointment.

Yes upon reaching the third map I'll realise I was actually thinking of lost episodes :P

This could be interesting. I'll try for a practice run of E1, won't have time for anything more. In the unlikely event that I survive E1 on my official attempt, the rest of the wad will be a blind run for as long as it lasts.

Alfonzo, I think you meant - deh instead of - duh. ;)  I'll make the change when I paste it into my batch file.

Nice. I'm going to risk it and speedrun these. Still deciding whether I should go full on blind or prepared, bc last month I was in the lower half for the last time since March. 

Nobody should play this blind. If you don't know exactly what's going to happen, you just die. So either skip this month, or prepare yourself for all maps.

18 minutes ago, Archi said:

Nobody should play this blind. If you don't know exactly what's going to happen, you just die. So either skip this month, or prepare yourself for all maps.

I'm sorry your run had to end this way, even though I partly anticipated it and could have told you exactly what was coming. Not having fun with the selection only to die to a poorly telegraphed hazard that is outside your control must be frustrating.

Selecting Ironman wads can be difficult because all kinds of people like to take part, each with different tastes, but at no point do I want people to think that their time has been wasted. If enough people find that a selection is too easy but they're still afraid to move faster because of some cruel trap around the next corner that requires foreknowledge... then frankly that's a bad Ironman pick, and I'd be tempted to change it to something else.

Assuming things stay the same this month, I hope you continue to take part next year!

We are allowed to make a separate demo for each episode, right?

Oh and what's the command to start recording at episode 2? -warp e2m1 didn't seem to work.

Edited by guineu

4 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

I was secretly hoping for whitemare :(

Me to :( it's wintery and fun. Why you shatter our hopes and dreams Alfonzo :<

6 hours ago, guineu said:

We are allowed to make a separate demo for each episode, right?

Oh and what's the command to start recording at episode 2? -warp e2m1 didn't seem to work.

the command is -warp 2 1

thankfully died in e2m2 to a secret crusher followed by secret damaging sectors, all maps blind except e1m8, looked in the wiki where the e1m3 secret exit was after running around 10 mins looking for it.

holyshitthiswadsucks.zip

16 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

thankfully died in e2m2 to a secret crusher followed by secret damaging sectors, all maps blind except e1m8, looked in the wiki where the e1m3 secret exit was after running around 10 mins looking for it.

holyshitthiswadsucks.zip

Lol, I make that two of us

Definitely category 2, I played this years ago but I am pretty unfamiliar with episodes 2 and 3 and a few of the E1 maps too.

dtwidcb.zip

[THAT SECRET CRUSHER]

Edited by cannonball

Finished the first 3 maps of my practice run and feeling like a badass for once. ;D However, I definitely want to do separate recordings for each episode as I can't see having enough time to do more than 1 in a day. Would this be cool?

10 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

at no point do I want people to think that their time has been wasted.

56 minutes ago, Ancalagon said:

thankfully died in e2m2

Wait, I'm confused.  My first impression was that this month's Ironman was gonna be a multi-episode format similar to the Vae Victus Ironman, where you can still rack points from the later episode after you die horrifically on the first.  After reading replies to this thread, I see that it is being treated it as an unsegmented run instead. 

I am extremely bias towards the multi-run thing, but the other way is closer to the "true ironman" experience i guess.  Can I get final clarification on this one?

Got to e2m5, no secret levels and advancing slowly at my own pace. Cleared most of the level and then there's a 15 minute pause, sorry about that. Anyway when I come back I wander around the level for a while trying to remember where I have to go until I realize the only unexplored area has damaging floor and I already picked the rad suit earlier. I go into the nukage and the outcome is the expected, RIP.

DW Ironman December 2017

About the category: I played this but I barely remembered anything (something obvious watching the demos), still better to tag it as Category 2 as I knew there weren't huge threats/ambushes and that's an advantage over someone knowing nothing about the wad.

Edited by guineu : Added the category

I interpreted it as one run in the fact that this is just one wad, that said I segmented the episode 1 and 2 demos because it felt simpler for me to do. I might be wrong and in that case I might need to do some heavy editing to my post above.

My request is the same as what cannonball said. If I survive an episode, I stop the recording and then record the next episode on another day. If I die at any point, I stop playing. Thus, a death in E1 means I never even start E2. So it's really one run but faces the reality that I have to stop playing from time to time even if the run is successful.

dtwid_iron_aqua.zip

Dead at E3M4. I spent the entire map being a sad idiot, despite having beaten it before, and eventually turned into a real Bloodite in one of my all-time best decisions.

Category is [2]. My foreknowledge was about to wear off, as I stopped midway through this episode.

It was fun barreling through the first two, at least. There are some tense moments in E2, but as long as I have my plasma I'm unstoppable. Well, mostly.

13 hours ago, Archi said:

Yeah fuck that "trap", that is the definition of bullshit map design. Anyone thinking about playing this blind, do check out the beginning of e3m4 at least or you're going to have a bad time

Each episode is in a separate demo. It's a category [1] attempt. In fact it's so category 1 that I didn't even remember which map has the secret exit in e2 and eventually miss it. And yeah, dead in e3m4. Sucks!

DWIronman_dtwid_e3_Veinen.zip

Edited by Veinen : fine

These comments are misleading.

Since when can you record multiple episodes of Doom 1 in one demo file?

I just tested recording a demo for E1M8 from the original game and it fades to the end text but doesn't let you progress to E2, it won't let you select new game either.

Is their some secret trick I'm missing? D:

4 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

I am extremely bias towards the multi-run thing, but the other way is closer to the "true ironman" experience i guess.  Can I get final clarification on this one?

Apologies, I should have clarified in the OP, though like Bloodite I was completely unaware that it was possible to record single-segment doom 1 runs.

Either way is fine, assuming they're both possible, since you're forced to pistol start each one. I've already recorded my run in three separate demos, one for each episode (will stream the run later this Australian evening!).

Dead E3M6: noisy_DTWID_ironman.zip

Category 2: I played around late 2014ish I think.

prboom-plus.exe -file .\DTWID.wad -deh .\DTWID.deh -iwad doom.wad -complevel 3 -skill 4 -warp 3 1 -record noisy_DTWID_E3.lmp

I forgot about most of the traps, but used the slow-and-steady strat so nothing really got me, the trap in e3m6 was the closest call (edit: nm i remember falling into damaging blood in like e3m2 and it brought me down to 5%).

I died to an explosion... but not the one you think.  After calling for so long, the Doom Gods finally answered my prayers to make me Good-at-DoomTM, but not in the way I wanted; they made me too good, and my body couldn't handle the power so I just exploded instead.

@Bloodite Krypto I was a bit ambiguous in my earlier question with the word 'unsegmented', srry.

Edited by NoisyVelvet