Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Is there even such a thing as an original Doom map?

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

Maze made of invisibility spheres and surrounded by many many imps. If you pick up a sphere, it will fuck up the dodging and you will probably die.

Evilest.gif

What about a map or part of a map where the floor is covered in keys so with the right source port you're constantly blinded by the yellow tint you see when picking something up.

Didn't realize this is the thread of gimmicky map ideas!
*jots all of 'em down*

10 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Or is it possible to just take the best maps and break them down into mere formulas?

Technically you break every map down into map lumps.  Does that count?  ;)

But yeah, there are loads of original maps.  Hell I've made a few.  E.g. the map I made for the Confinement 256 project I've never seen anyone make anything like it before.  Actually come to think of it that megawad was full of map concepts I've never seen before or since.

1 hour ago, Xaser said:

Of course. Behold:

Doomtechdemo-map.png

pfft, everyone knows this is as original as it gets:

GOgNaSe.png

if I ever made a doom bible mapset if you went back to the very first room right before going up against the bruiser brothers a portal will have opened that takes you into this map

Am I missing something here? Isn't every Doom map an original work unless its a copy of an existing map? Or do you mean a mapping concept that has yet to be executed in Doom?

Any map is essentially a bunch of ones and zeros. And pi contains all possible combinations of numbers of any length. So all maps already exist inside of pi.

11 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Or is it possible to just take the best maps and break them down into mere formulas?

I'm not sure I'm following your train of thought. Could you expand on this a little? I don't know if I or anyone I know looks at maps as formulas.

1 hour ago, 40oz said:

I'm not sure I'm following your train of thought. Could you expand on this a little? I don't know if I or anyone I know looks at maps as formulas.

What I am talking about is the fact that almost everything can be broken down and analyzed. Consider for example the "Doom the way Id id" mapset that some people made were they tried to emulate the "style" of the original maps.

17 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

What I am talking about is the fact that almost everything can be broken down and analyzed. Consider for example the "Doom the way Id id" mapset that some people made were they tried to emulate the "style" of the original maps.

But that's not the same as not being "original".  Something can be completely original but still be able to be broken down to its constituent parts.  

21 minutes ago, Bauul said:

But that's not the same as not being "original".  Something can be completely original but still be able to be broken down to its constituent parts.  

I meant original in that nothing similar to it exists. Movies about aliens aren't original for example because other movies about aliens already exist.

3 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I meant original in that nothing similar to it exists. Movies about aliens aren't original for example because other movies about aliens already exist.

Ok, but what you just said was "What I am talking about is the fact that almost everything can be broken down and analyzed."  This is not at all the same thing as "I meant original in that nothing similar to it exists".  Everything can be broken down and analyzed, but plenty of stuff has nothing similar to it that exists.

support2 x 32mu = 1995

support2 x 24mu = 2001

2 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Right, but these two movies can be wholly different aside from the "it has aliens" element. The fact that two Doom maps are maps for Doom doesn't inherently imply that both are similar in any way at all other than the fact that they were both designed for Doom (jeez, that sentence is a mouthful..)

I don't want to speak for @hardcore_gamer, but since I'm of the opinion that this is a bit of a bogus question -- name anything from any art-form made in the last year that is *completely* original -- maybe it's better to rephrase this question as "What recent or forthcoming WADs completely change the way the game looks and plays?"  As an example, I would suggest @rf` 's HocusDoom.

On 11/30/2017 at 11:04 PM, Xaser said:

Of course. Behold:

I had an epiphany and realized your example was not as original as you may think...

IWLvt8T.png

1 hour ago, dew said:

I had an epiphany and realized your example was not as original as you may think...

IWLvt8T.png

you are truly a forum coLOSSus