Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AgitatedSkeleton

''Military shooters are too brown and grey''

I think the biggest difference between these older games and the typical "modern military shooter" is that a lot of modern games use post-processing effects to colourize / tint the screen, which will make the game appear more muddy throughout a lot of the time.

These older games definitely have brown and grey looking textures, but their usage throughout the levels makes the game appear more varied compared to say Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Possibly the worst Duke 3D screenshot you could've chosen. In that same map there's a huge colorful dance floor... 

Duke-at-the-Strip-Clun-in-the-Red-Light-

Edited by NaZa

Where is heretic (which hilariously gets criticized for being too colorful!)? Blood is way more diverse than the very first freaking fight in the game. Duke3D blows doom out of the water with colors. Strife has grey too much but brown tends to take a seat back. ID has brown games but other devs tend to have more diversity with their themes. (And then again, newer games like OW and Doom 4 have a lot of colors)

Either AgitatedSkeleton is a devoted contrarian, an overtly judgemental person, a guy who wants to be 100% right at all times despite comments proving him wrong, an ignorant arrogant twat or quite simply a troll because everything he's said so far is actually retarded beyond belief.

Please be a troll.

39 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Clearly, you just can't handle his opinions. Shame on you.

Oh I can handle opinions, this guy just comes across in his 3 posts as a dick being a dick for the sole purpose of being a dick.

And to be more specific, I hope he's a troll because of how he acts, not his opinion, in case you don't realize that easily missed note.

EDIT: you were being facetious, weren't you?

Edited by mrthejoshmon

Just now, dmg_64 said:

No one said Quake is colorful.

Quake has some cool blue stuff though.

Thanks Quake!

Anyway there's just so much soil and dirt.

Screenshots taken from Doom 64 EX, this game needs more brown.

ucAHBPk.png

CsFS3fu.png

DBlsYZn.png

Edited by GuyNamedErick

55 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Quake has some cool blue stuff though.

*twitch* oh god that one blue corridor...

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

This thread has shown me that early 90s FPSes were indeed drab as shit. No originality at all! Just dull grey corridors and rooms just like literally all the video games of today are. I guess nothing has changed at all. In light of this revelation, I have created a patch WAD that increases the saturation of every index in the game palette to 200%. Your eyeballs will thank you! I know mine did once I returned from the surgery.

Wow, this really has fixed all of the brownness problems I've ever had with doom. It's amazing!

e5jboZq.png

I have to partially agree with OP. While he presented his opinion in quite a aggressive manner, I can see the source of his anguish. A lot of "ol' gamers" WILL complain that the newest modern games are all dull in color and visuals, while then proceeding to play their game which is also quite dull regarding color and visuals, whilst being unaware of the irony.

Seriously, for every "[megawad/Old FPS] had the most varied colors/was most colorful/was a fucking rainbow" you guys can shoot out, every other modern gamer can say "[game] had the most varied colors/was most colorful/was a fucking rainbow" as well in response, and both parties would be correct. Simultaneously, there are your favorite wads which are more about the gameplay than visuals, and then there are modern games who do the same. Doom community isn't vastly different, and being old enough to consciously await the arrival of Doom does not make you "wiser" by default (you might had gathered some experience,depending on what did you do). If that was so, my grandma would kick my ass over and over on Doom, simply because she was 60 back then when it came out. NOTE: She cannot operate on computers, so don't make this a joke pretty please :)

I know you guys dedicated this post to humiliate the agitated OP, but to not accept some parts of his opinion is to be as agitated as himself was when he made this post :)

My complaint with military shooters was never that they're too brown, it's just that they stink. It's the exact same issue I take with dog poop.

inb4 someone takes this post that was clearly a joke seriously

30 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

My complaint with military shooters was never that they're too brown, it's just that they stink. It's the exact same issue I take with dog poop.

I'd advise you to stop getting digging your modern FPSes out from dog colons, but considering they probably cost an arm and a leg and a heart over there, it's really the smart move.