Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevenC21

Help: Doom Glass Question (Please Read)

Question

Hey everyone, I really need help on this, unlike some of my issues, this is critical to my "kilowad" (Megawad but with fewer levels). So basically, I have a sector. It is raised up above the floor around it, and the middle textures (not the lower textures) are SHAWN2 with the Transparent property. (I am in UDMF). I need to know if there is a way to make only the middle textures block everything, because I want the player to see the contents of the sector, and decide if it is worth lowering. But if I make it not block everything, then the monster hurts the player without a choice, and if I make the lines block everything, then the player cannot ever fight the monster and claim the treasure of sorts. Help is appreciated, please! If you can't help, at least please comment another place that I can ask this question. Thanks!

7 answers to this question

I am really sleepy right now and need to go to bed. I don't even know why I am looking at the forums. Before I can explain further I need some sleep. I also need to know how much you already know. Do you need me to explain how to make a 3D floor, or just how to make it translucent? Do you want it to be a window that can be opened?

Now that I have rested, I'll go ahead and explain the whole process, at the risk of telling you some stuff you already know.

Make a narrow sector which will be the pane of glass, and give it a tag.

Somewhere in the void outside the map, make a sector which will serve as the control sector for the 3D floor. Set the heights of ceiling and floor of the sector where you want the top and bottom of the glass, and set the flats to what you want on the top and bottom of the glass. If you want the window to open, give the control sector a tag.

On one of the lines of the control sector, give it action 160 (or find it in the menu under Sector). Set the tag to the sector where you want the window pane. Under Types, leave the Solid box checked, and optionally check the box for Render Inside. Under Flags, check Disable Light Effects (unless you want the window pane to cast a shadow) and Additive Translucency. Set the Opacity like you would the Alpha on a translucent line. Make sure to set the middle texture on that line to be the glass texture.

If you want the window to open up like a door, have the side of the window pane raise the floor of the control sector to its ceiling when used.

If you want the window to open down like a lift, lower the ceiling of the control sector instead of raising the floor.

Either way, if you want it to close again, that will involve some ACS. I can talk you through that if you want.

EDIT: Ninja'd

@Empyre can you elaborate? I know what both of those are, but I am not sure how I could use them in this context? By the way: Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me. This isn't the first time lol. You are super cool.

If I understood what you want to do, here's an example of how you could make it with a 3D floor.

Use the switch to free the shotgunner. Kill it and grab the backpack. Don't stay in the cage 'cause it closes again.

Amusingly, since I use a 3D floor, the top of moving glass is the ceiling of the control sector. That means that to lower the glass, I have to lower the ceiling. So to get an action that opens the cage, waits, and closes it back up, I had to use an action that did the reverse: close door, wait, open. When the "door" that is the control sector closes, the 3D floor lowers; and when it opens back up, the 3D floor raises again. I hope that's clear.

transparentglasstest.zip

@Empyre Oh man, I am so sorry I didn't respond sooner! With your first comment on 3D floors, I figured it out! I really appreciate your help, and I wish I had updated this sooner. Please forgive me dude you are epic!

7 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

I am so sorry I didn't respond sooner! [...] I wish I had updated this sooner. Please forgive me

This is a forum, not a live chat. It's normal to be inactive for however long you want, at any time. Nobody would probably care if you didn't respond at all, either.