Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

I don't understand the uploading process

After checking out DW and Google, I don't really understand how to submit a map. Feeling a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to start.

If you just mean the rules you have to follow when submitting, you can find those here: http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/README.INCOMING

If you mean actually uploading it, first you'll need to prepare your files for upload.

You'll need two things:

1. A .zip file containing both your .wad file and your .txt file
  2. The .txt file by itself (which can be made here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?textmaker)

Once you have those two files prepared, named properly (the .txt file, the .zip file, and the .wad file must all match), and placed in the same folder, you can begin the uploading process. Open your command prompt (press the windows key and search for CMD) and type the following, in order:

1. cd C:\path\to\your\files\ (you can copy paste the file path from windows explorer if needed)
  2. ftp archives.gamers.org
  3. anonymous
  4. theemailyouput@inyourtxt.com (it must be a valid email address, but don't worry, the email will be removed from your txt files before being officially uploaded)
  5. cd /pub/idgames/incoming/
  6. bin
  7. put yourwadhere.zip (it'll be uploading for a couple seconds so just wait for the success message)
  8. put yourwadhere.txt
  9. quit

And voila :D

You can check here (ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/idgames/incoming/) to see the status of your files. They should show up here shortly after uploading them.

Now you just have to wait for an email from the maintainers (again, they'll email the email you put in your txt file) and you just reply with the names of the two files you uploaded, wait a little more, and you're done...

OR, you can email them ahead of time to speed up the process quite a bit! Just send an email to "idgmaint@gamers.org" and start your subject with "DOOM-FTP:".

There, you can just put the names of your files and maybe an extra comment below telling them that you're just emailing early, if you want.

If you have any questions I will answer them to the best of my ability friend. c:

Edited by bonnie

I may need to come back here later after I gather my thoughts. I have a lot of trouble with instructional information and I can't quite articulate my problem at the moment.

It's okay friend, we still love you. ;~;

If there's anything I can do, I will friend. If you need a video or something, I could perhaps do that for you.

If you dont want to use the command prompt, then just download an ftp client and connect to idgames using anonymous as your name and your email as your password. Navigate to the correct folder and drop off both zip and text files, then send an email to confirm you're basically not a robot.

If you really want to make the interface a bit easier at the cost of a bit more prep work, you can even use a free ftp app on the phone from the play store.

This is all located within FAQs here already, and steps can be followed one-after-another in a check-list fashion. Take it from my approach: you dont need to learn how to do it, just follow the list and don't make things more complicated than that have to be, this process is much akin to following a new recipe while cooking.

-Make wad

-Make text file from the template

-Zip both files together

-Connect to idgames using info above

-Navigate to proper folder

-Drop off both zip folder and text file

-Email

Done

while this topic is open, my 1 map replacement was rejected, as shown in this screenshot. I dont plan on submitting it again, but I have a 10 map replacement that I plan on releasing next year. I dont really understand why this was rejected, as the map is an original work, the music is original and it is not a bad design/level.

Thanks in advance!

nnightmare-reject.png

3 minutes ago, zerolizer said:

nnightmare-reject.png

"contains unmodified id Software resources"

You should probably upload the map here so we can see what exactly you had in your wad to get it rejected.

@GoatLord to make things easy on yourself, use an FTP client like FileZilla (you can also just use windows explorer by navigating to ftp://archives.gamers.org/pub/idgames/incoming/ like so and dragging and dropping the zip and txt), then follow what's indicated in the FAQ

1. Load an FTP client (FileZilla or something similar).
  2. Connect to archives.gamers.org. The username is "anonymous", and the password is your email address (i.e. user@host.net).
  3. Once connected, navigate the directory structure to /pub/idgames/incoming/.
  4. Upload your ZIP file, and BE SURE to upload the text file required to accompany it.

I'm not entirely sure why bonnie is suggesting you do it via command line when you clearly aren't sure how to navigate that.

22 minutes ago, zerolizer said:

@bonnie thanks for the quick response, here is the exact wad I uploaded : )

there is a cover song that I included in the wad, but it was completely recreated from scratch and am in no manner distributing for cash.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JWmLdf1eMmcDc9FSKIkKLVChLSvk2rKc/view?usp=sharing

The following lumps are duplicates from an IWAD and need to be replaced/removed in some form (depending on what they are, just removed), and is why your WAD was rejected (which is exactly what REJECTS told you, who would have thunk it);

comp03_1
comp03_4
comp03_5
comp03_8
comp04_1
comp04_2
comp04_5
comp04_6
comp04_7
comp04_8
blita0
blitb0
blitc0
wlita0
wlitb0
wlitc0
w107_1
mwall4_1
mwall4_2
mwall5_1

Makes sense @Edward850 since these are most likely already in the Doom 2 wad, if im not mistaken. This level was my first stab at doom modding, so I will not attempt to upload again, and as I mentioned, I have a 10 map wad I will publish next year, I will calmly look over the textures and so forth, so as to not have this issue!! Thanks!

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

After checking out DW and Google, I don't really understand how to submit a map. Feeling a bit overwhelmed and not sure where to start.

This helped me.

@Bonnie I would like to do this the CMD way, but once I log in as anonymous, it requests a password. Do I insert my email here?

4 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

@Bonnie I would like to do this the CMD way, but once I log in as anonymous, it requests a password. Do I insert my email here?

Yes

@Edward850 Another question: I got past the "bin" command, but now it says
"150 ok to send data"

but it appears to be still loading something. Do I still type in the command?

I can't answer that question for you, and it'll have nothing to do with the zip file itself.

@StevenC21 sorry friend, i was sleepin. also, when you "@" somebody, you gotta select their name in the dropdown that appears by clicking it or hitting enter, that way you'll get a little blue man with their name and they'll actually get an alert telling them you mentioned them friend

anyways, i noticed several things about your file:

1. you did indeed upload it successfully, as shown here: ftp://ftp.gamers.org/pub/idgames/incoming/
  2. you only uploaded the .zip file, when you need to upload the .txt file too (outside and inside of the .zip)
  3. inside your .zip file, the .txt file just says "readme" and does not match your .pk3/.zip

so altogether, you should have uploaded: "unknown.txt" and "unknown.zip"

and inside unknown.zip should be: "unknown.txt" (again), and "unknown.pk3"

perhaps you can try again? maybe if you email the maintainers ("idgmaint@gamers.org" and start your subject with "DOOM-FTP:") after re-uploading your fixed .zip and .txt, you can leave in a comment saying that you messed up the first time and to ignore the original upload of unknown.zip? heck, i'll even write out the email for ya:

Spoiler

Unknown.zip

Unknown.txt

Hello, I just uploaded my files and I'm emailing ahead of time. I'd also like to mention that I accidentally uploaded an incorrect version of "Unknown.zip" previously, and would like to request that you ignore/reject the original upload. Thank you very much.

you can literally copy/paste that email to them (after you've uploaded your new files, that is [be sure to verify that they've been uploaded by checking the link I posted above a few minutes after uploading]).

c:

Edited by bonnie

@bonnie 2 things: First, thanks for telling me the thing about the blue box, and second, it still tells me that it "could not create file", but only on unknown.zip, not unknown.txt. And second, I updated the unknown.zip by the way so that the name of the txt inside is unknown.txt as well, but it still complains. Any insight?

@StevenC21 Can I see a picture? Also, the txt is now up, but the new zip isn't, so you may need to rename the wad perhaps. Don't worry, you can still call it unknown in the txt files (if that's what it's called, I didn't see), even though the file is named differently.

Just make a minor change to the filenames (they still must match) and explain the whole situation in your email.

P.S. don't forget to check the link even if it gives an error since it was uploaded anyways last time

edit: the situation as it seems is that it wouldn't let you reupload a file with the same name again, so say that bonnie is an idiot who told you to reupload it with the same name at first

@StevenC21 YOU FOOL

your files can only be 12 characters long!!!!!! (i think)

UnknownLevels is 13 characters long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have truly gotten yourself into quite a mess

edit: if you'd like to try your luck for a third time, try unknwn or unknwnlevels

youre gonna have a lot of explainin to do mister

Edited by bonnie