Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raygun30

How to change the DOOM 2 sky texture?

So in the DOOM textures there is these textures called "sky" and I think they can change the sky ceiling textures and I want to know if its possible to change it any help would be great.

SKEE.PNG

Get different kind of sky and remane SKY1, SKY2, SKY3 and replace it in slade. 

22 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Get different kind of sky and remane SKY1, SKY2, SKY3 and replace it in slade. 

Isn't better with RSKY1, RSKY2 and RSKY3 on the textures (without adding to the textures lump)?

At leas it always worked in that way for me...

I don't you understand my question what I meant to say is this 

how do I change the F1_SKY texture to one of theses like in MAP 20 in DOOM 2 

SKEE.PNG.ff88b8ef3dd1226ea663ae6cc773b4a1.PNG 

This is what I meant  see I wanted the  F_SKY texture to be SKY_2 texture 

Hold on I tried doing this and it did not work could you tell me in more depth on how to do this sorry for annyoing you with my lack of knowledge on DOOM

You can use mapinfo too if you use gzdoom/zdoom stuff to define your desirable sky texture. 
Also, you can try export that sky from slade and reinclude in rsky1 place in your pwad. 

Can't seem to find mapinfo 

just to help here is a bit of what I am doing 

first I am using GZDOOM builder

second of all my map is in the good old DOOM 2 format 

hope this helps 

Here, video. It's explained how to replace sky. Even if he uses different program, all steps are quite same. Use slade 3 for that thing.

Also I should add, the F_SKY1 flat is only used in maps to tell the engine where to draw sky. It doesn't tell the engine which actual sky texture to use. That's when you use MAPINFO or replacing the textures to change them.

I think I had an issue with sky textures like this before, where it would render the sky as a tiled texture like a ceiling instead of a skybox. I can't remember if I ever fixed it and I'm pretty sure that's what made me stop mapping.

9 hours ago, stru said:

I think I had an issue with sky textures like this before, where it would render the sky as a tiled texture like a ceiling instead of a skybox. I can't remember if I ever fixed it and I'm pretty sure that's what made me stop mapping.

Sounds like you might have put an RSKY texture on the part where you wanted the sky to be instead of the F_SKY1 flat.

So I did all this, but when I make a MAPINFO file and load the map with GZDoom, I get a message saying this: MAPINFO" line 2:
(: Unknown top level keyword . Does anyone know how to fix this?

4 hours ago, gman829 said:

So I did all this, but when I make a MAPINFO file and load the map with GZDoom, I get a message saying this: MAPINFO" line 2:
(: Unknown top level keyword . Does anyone know how to fix this?

Please post the contents of your mapinfo here and we can have a look.

On 12/5/2017 at 7:01 PM, leodoom85 said:

@raygun30I tested a sky which has a size of 256x128, renamed it to RSKY1 and this was the result in map01 of Doom 2

Screenshot_Doom_20171205_205452.png.a42a94ab28a43dd0af63dce6a2cc26fe.png

How do you rename it? I'm using the current version of Slade, and everytime I rename RSKY3 to RSKY1, the texture will just revert to the RSKY1 texture