Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoadedCannible

Labratory Fallout

PicsArt_12-06-09_30_27.jpg.42d229aab03851b00f0ac6c41e7e95fd.jpgThis is my second map. I hyope you enjoyed the first one (if you played it), but if you didn't let me know!

This newest edition to my catalog, and secret underground lab, filled with demons and failed experiments. You travel through, find all the keys, and escape safely. 

This map was tested and runs on ZDoom, possible for GZDoom, but if not, let me know.

The MIDI used is from the band System of a Down called "The Metro" off their album "Storaged Melodies"

if you have any questions or concerns let me know!

business email: 

keeganm163@gmail.com

Link to download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/aoxaagkba9mglyr/fallout.zip

ZDOOM 2.8.1  (2016-02-16 15_46_35 +0300) 12_6_2017 7_48_08 AM.png

ZDOOM 2.8.1  (2016-02-16 15_46_35 +0300) 12_6_2017 7_48_25 AM.png

ZDOOM 2.8.1  (2016-02-16 15_46_35 +0300) 12_6_2017 7_48_35 AM.png

ZDOOM 2.8.1  (2016-02-16 15_46_35 +0300) 12_6_2017 7_49_12 AM.png

ZDOOM 2.8.1  (2016-02-16 15_46_35 +0300) 12_6_2017 7_48_53 AM.png

Edited by LoadedCannible : File wasn't placed

This being your second map, I'll assume you're open to some constructive criticism.

What I liked:

Some attention to detail visually, including a custom open screen. Overall, you show some hints of acumen in detail design that I think is probably being blocked by a combination of newcomer enthusiasm (just wanna get something out there!) and an incomplete but growing knowledge of how the builder works.

The cacodemon trap thing was kinda interesting. They killed me twice before I realized where they were even coming from.

What I did not like:

No secrets

Completely unmarked doors that were necessary to go through to progress, yet some door textures that didn't open at all

Key doors being unmarked

You can get stuck in the BFG room if you drop down.

The room after the BFG room was kind of a mess. The doorways are off. Then there's supposed to be a crusher maybe, but it doesn't work. And then you can't leave the room and I couldn't get the blue key either.*

I could not get the yellow key. Bring it forward a few pixels toward the ledge.* 

Nazis

No health until about halfway through the map

Some cases of inappropriate texture: too much of the same, light in weird spots, odd door ceilings and "frames," and I don't really like seeing Icon of Sin textures unless it's a map 30 demon spitter situation

I don't think there was any variety in brightness the entire map

Keep at it. Be patient. And test like crazy.

*EDIT:

I don't really ever play maps that require jumping or crouching, and this being very vanilla-ish, that's probably why I didn't even think to turn jump on. So if that's what you intend, that jumping is required, then you should definitely mention that, even if you say it's for ZDoom.

Edited by HAK3180

That was really great feedback, and even more so, knowing that you actually played it. Ive noticed the mistakes made, and will also start retesting and replacing my mishaps.

While testing, I never noticed a crusher in the room with the key card, but it did take a few retries and eventually I was able to obtain the keycard. though im not too sure how many times you played it, but I'm sure you understood that this wasn't complete 100% and I thank you for that. I will continue development of the map later on today, and as I said, thank you very much for your criticism and for playing it most of all. 

Just want to point out one thing here. You kind of imply that this and your previous map are for ZDoom, when it doesn't seem like there are any ZDoom features in either map. You can turn off potential players by suggesting port exclusivity, and on top of that, it's often very worrying to see new mappers mapping for ZDoom because they tend to get wrapped up in fancy ZDoom nonsense without learning the basics of mapping first. That's not the case here, and I'd suggest just taking a little extra time and testing your maps out in a few different ports.

I understand where youre coming from, however, this was tested with ZDoom. The map itself was made in DoomBuilder 2, and organized in Slade 3. I am, however, somewhat new to map making and I actually don't really pay any attention to that extra fancy stuff you talked about, but eitherway, I thank you for your criticism.

24 minutes ago, LoadedCannible said:

I understand where youre coming from, however, this was tested with ZDoom. The map itself was made in DoomBuilder 2, and organized in Slade 3. I am, however, somewhat new to map making and I actually don't really pay any attention to that extra fancy stuff you talked about, but eitherway, I thank you for your criticism.

You have misread his post. He's not complaining about it being untested in ZDoom, but rather that you haven't tested it in anything else as nothing in the map actually requires ZDoom. If your intent is to make a vanilla map, testing in a proper vanilla compat port makes more sense, such as Chocolate Doom, and if the intent was to make a Boom map, PRBoom+.

I made video, yeah it's unlisted. I recommend to take your time and play more good stuff and take notes from them. Also, I agree with people above. Not much say for now. Don't rush things and work more on weak sides of your maps. 

Thank you for actually showing me the problems. And it's very strange that most of the doors were not working, that didn't exactly happen to me when I started testing it. But I'm glad you helped out and made a video, because I wouldn't have seen anything from the actual player's perspective.

But I'm for sure going to be making lots of changes to it within the next hour. However, this time around I will certainly be taking all the criticism, and ill be taking more time in doing this. Thank you very much.

49 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

You have misread his post. He's not complaining about it being untested in ZDoom, but rather that you haven't tested it in anything else as nothing in the map actually requires ZDoom. If your intent is to make a vanilla map, testing in a proper vanilla compat port makes more sense, such as Chocolate Doom, and if the intent was to make a Boom map, PRBoom+.

Ok, that makes more sense now. I guess I didn't understand exactly what he was saying. Thanks for pointing that out!