Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

What are you listening to?

It's Chicago Gangsta Rap Day!

Chicago Rap has always been dominated by gangbangers, although the biggest rappers from Chicago -- Kanye West, Common and Lupe Fiasco -- are all what's known as "neutrons," which is people without any gang affiliation. But they came along later. The First Wave of Chicago rap included acts like Crucial Conflict and Twista, all of whom were members of the Vice Lords or their affiliated gang the 4-Corner Hustlers. The drill scene that has emerged more recently is overwhelmingly dominated by the Gangster Disciples and Black Disciples.

E-Dub the Gangsta emerged in the period between the First Wave and drill and is a Gangster Disciple from the infamous Englewood neighborhood. The sample in this track is from "Chicago," by Graham Nash, which concerned both the police riot at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago as well as the trial of The Chicago Eight.

I'll end today's series with Young Pappy. The day I became aware of him was the same day I saw his tribute video. Another, "Oh, shit!" moment in the life of a Chicago rap fan. It's axiomatic that every year there are YouTube lists of the best Chicago drill rappers, and respects are paid to the 5 rappers from the previous year's list who are now dead.

Young Pappy was a Gangster Disciple from the Uptown neighborhood in the Rogers Park section of Chicago's North Side. I grew up about a mile north of Uptown at the city's far northern border. 

Young Pappy was one of the new breed of hardcore drill rappers who seem to keep finding another, higher gear as they build their raps to somewhat insane levels of emotional intensity. It's definitely not for everybody, but I really enjoy it. This track is particularly inventive in the way it brings the intensity up and down.

The reason for Young Pappy's murder is that he kept dissing the Vice Lords and 4-Corner Hustlers in his music. Two previous attempts had been made on his life, resulting in the deaths of two innocent bystanders. They finally got him in May of 2015, blowing his brains out from behind. Prior to his death, Young Pappy was viewed as the next likely breakout star from Chicago. He was 19 when he was shot, which is actually somewhat old, since most Chicago drillers get blown away between the ages of 15 and 17. That's just the way it is in my beloved home city. Anyone from Chicago knows that the gangs are all around you. In my day it was the pinnacle of the white greaser gangs, which were old-fashioned turf gangs as opposed to the large criminal organizations of today. Of the old white gangs, only about 3 or 4 still exist, and of these, the Simon City Royals, a co-founder of the Folk Nation, is the only one that really spread outside the city and became a huge criminal organization along the lines of the Gangster Disciples, Latin Kings and Vice Lords, all of which are much larger. In spite of all this, I still look forward to moving back to Chicago one day. You're actually quite safe if you're not in a gang. ;D

14 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Nice chill jam. Surprisingly good result considering the mix of styles.

3 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Wow, thanks for this! I've had an Amiga MOD version of this track since 1997 -- which I plan to use in a map -- but I never knew what they sampled it from. So cool to hear the original.

I didn't know Dean and Gene were still doing albums after Ween split up, this is fucking awesome, great chorus

11 hours ago, Steve D said:

Wow, thanks for this! I've had an Amiga MOD version of this track since 1997 -- which I plan to use in a map -- but I never knew what they sampled it from. So cool to hear the original.

I remember finding a MIDI version of this remix through a Doom wad I played many, many years ago.  Unfortunately I can't remember the wad.

2 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

I remember finding a MIDI version of this remix through a Doom wad I played many, many years ago.  Unfortunately I can't remember the wad.

I'd love to hear that MIDI version. IMO, the MOD version is brilliant. I was going to put it up on my Mediafire, but decided to check Amiga Music Preservation to see if they had it. Well, lo and behold, there it is down the list of Stony's works. @Xyzzy01 might want to check it out, too.

I use ModPlug Player for MODs. It's free to download if you don't already have it. I have some very specific ideas about the map I plan to make based on this. It'll be awhile before it appears, though. ;D

http://amp.dascene.net/detail.php?detail=modules&view=7109

1 hour ago, NeedHealth said:

Listen to this.

One of my favorite songs. That's the original by the writer, Darrell Scott, but my personal favorite version -- and I've heard about 15 ;) -- is this live one by Patty Loveless. I'm also very fond of Ruby Friedman's somewhat experimental interpretation.

7 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

GALAXIA.WAD has this midi. I seem to recall it showing up in a few other early wads as well, like Eternity and DWANGO.

Recently I've also found myself wondering how would a Doom game be like with a soundtrack similar to Desecresy or later Slugathor. I sure think it'd make wonders if done right, but a man can dream.