Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herzon

Windows Defender Blocking Eternity

So, recently I downloaded eternity but when I opened it windows defender blocked it. Is it safe to run anyway? If so, please tell me with proof that it is safe.

Edited by Herzon : You don't need to post on this thread anymore because the problem was already solved.

Just a quick reminder:if you can, please show a video showing somebody opening eternity getting the message and pressing run anyway with results of it not harming their computer.

2 hours ago, Herzon said:

Just a quick reminder:if you can, please show a video showing somebody opening eternity getting the message and pressing run anyway with results of it not harming their computer.

Eternity just starts for me with no warning even with defender running, so myself making a video of such a task would be impossible, unless you just want a video of me starting Eternity, which would be... meaningless?

However, it's 100% certain your end is being overzealous for some reason, perhaps because of your configured security level or it has just never seen it before and doesn't know what it is, but the builds provided are absolutely clean and safe.

We would gain nothing from lying to you about this or disrupting your computer in any way, shape or form.

2 hours ago, Herzon said:

This seems an odd request given the results of 99% of viruses are not immediately visible on screen once installed. 

Were you worried a giant 1990s style 3D animated skull would appear on your monitor and an evil voice would laugh in a faintly digitized manner?

What is the name of the threat detected by Windows Defender?

You are indeed referring to Windows Defender, and not SmartScreen ("Windows protected your PC")?

11 hours ago, Bauul said:

Were you worried a giant 1990s style 3D animated skull would appear on your monitor and an evil voice would laugh in a faintly digitized manner?

Damn they're onto me!

8 hours ago, printz said:

What is the name of the threat detected by Windows Defender?

You are indeed referring to Windows Defender, and not SmartScreen ("Windows protected your PC")?

It said Windows Protected Your PC.

17 hours ago, Edward850 said:

unless you just want a video of me starting Eternity

If that is the least you can do, please do it.

@Herzon Are you worried that the entire Eternity community is part of some secret hacker movement designed to trick you into installing a virus?

You're being a bit weird mate.

12 hours ago, Edward850 said:

... Your requests are getting kind of silly and pointless, just FYI.

And how can we know that once you exited the game the OS was still there, and the file system wasn't encrypted, nagging you for money?

What's with the sudden influx of people joining and getting all paranoid about GPL software being malicious because they're getting false positives from their antivirus?

It's safe to run Eternity, the code is open to the public, so they couldn't slip anything bad past people even if they tried. One must wonder how you sleep at night with such an intense paranoia. :P

5 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

It's safe to run Eternity, the code is open to the public, so they couldn't slip anything bad past people even if they tried. One must wonder how you sleep at night with such an intense paranoia. :P

Yes, but how do you know that somebody did modify the code before compiling? How do you know that the compiler does not inject some malicious code? Okay, you could check the compiler's source code, but how do you know that the compiler used during bootstrapping doesn't inject any malicious code!?… Repeat ad infinitum.

Paranoia ftw. ;-)

the true solution is to build everything from source, do a deep code review on all projects to ensure there is for certain no malicious code, be sure to build your own libraries, again doing the code review, and be sure that the same has been done for the kernel you're running it on. And don't forget to profile the hardware for issues, and build every part of it yourself.

Maybe then Herzon will feel somewhat less paranoid about EE

(alternatively I guess EE could be signed? I dunno what that would entail but it'd probably shut up smartscreen. probably not that worth it though)

Edited by InsanityBringer

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN NOW. This is not a virus alert.

On 06.12.2017 at 11:00 PM, Herzon said:

It said Windows Protected Your PC.

OK. This means that it's not the antivirus blocking Eternity.exe, but Windows itself which is quite cautious about running programs downloaded from the internet. It does the same thing for other software as well, such as the Eureka Doom Editor. But it's far less likely to do so for programs downloaded as installers (like setup.exe etc.).

Why does Windows do that? Basically it's programmed not to trust random executables you download from the internet, and does so for the protection of average non-tech users, who are prone to downloading bad executables from rogue spam email and such. Eternity qualifies as "random" because we simply compile it and upload a .zip of it to a website — no extra validation or verification is being done. I believe we can get rid of this warning if we digitally sign the executable. Then Windows will know it's written by us. I haven't tried this thing on Windows (dunno about @Quasar) but I'm signing the macOS Eternity application (only official releases, not DRDteam builds which are out of my control) for this same reason.

This thread's problem turned out to be the user not knowing what Windows SmartScreen is, not a malware issue. Your reported issue is specifically a false positive from malware detection.

Edited by Edward850

36 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

This thread's problem turned out to be the user not knowing what Windows SmartScreen is, not a malware issue. Your reported issue is specifically a false positive from malware detection.

Maybe I should have created a new thread instead :S sorry about that!