Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Which source ports would you like to see revived?

15 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Because MBF is a work of art that deserves to be preserved.

// killough 5/3/98: reformatted, cleaned up

int PUREFUNC P_PointOnDivlineSide(fixed_t x, fixed_t y, const divline_t *line)
{
  return
    !line->dx ? x <= line->x ? line->dy > 0 : line->dy < 0 :
    !line->dy ? y <= line->y ? line->dx < 0 : line->dx > 0 :
    (line->dy^line->dx^(x -= line->x)^(y -= line->y)) < 0 ? (line->dy^x) < 0 :
    FixedMul(y>>8, line->dx>>8) >= FixedMul(line->dy>>8, x>>8);
}

yes! YES!!

What would you like to see from a revived WinMBF? I'm intrigued on what the scope of that project would be.

Personally I'd like to see some updates to Crispy Heretic & Hexen, though I dunno if that counts as a revival. As for the reason, I'd just like to play Heretic/Hexen in a port that's closer to their original feel.

Edited by Altazimuth

Boom in a similar vein to winmbf. I created the chocolate-boom repo for this purpose but haven't done anything with it yet.

4 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Why WinMBF?

Because currently it is as close to a hypothetical Chocolate Boom as you can probably get.

1 hour ago, Altazimuth said:

What would you like to see from a revived WinMBF? I'm intrigued on what the scope of that project would be.

Personally I'd like to see some updates to Crispy Heretic & Hexen, though I dunno if that counts as a revival. As for the reason, I'd just like to play Heretic/Hexen in a port that's closer to their original feel.

I'd like WinMBF to build cleanly on 64-bit systems and would like to introduce some convenience feature for building and running on Unix-based systems. As for Crispy Heretic, there is an ongoing effort, but things are moving slowly. ;)

7 minutes ago, fabian said:

Because currently it is as close to a hypothetical Chocolate Boom as you can probably get.

I'd like WinMBF to build cleanly on 64-bit systems and would like to introduce some convenience feature for building and running on Unix-based systems. As for Crispy Heretic, there is an ongoing effort, but things are moving slowly. ;)

It sounds like you would be satisfied by chocolate-boom and chocolate-MBf if they weren't vapourware

55 minutes ago, fabian said:

From what I seem to recall, https://doomwiki.org/wiki/LsdlDoom is not that hard to get compiling again on a modern system and is based off Boom / MBF.

Legacy--because I found it made things idiot-proof (i.e., I could run basically anything using it) and player movement felt right as well (not too loose).

21 minutes ago, joepallai said:

Legacy--because I found it made things idiot-proof

In particular the crashes. You didn't have to act like an idiot to make Legacy crash all on its own... >D

(Well, yeah, sorry, bur Doom Legacy 1.42 occupies a very special place in my memories...)

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

Anyways I would like to see prboom-plus revived (it’s dead... accept it).

Especially an actively-maintained one that implemented UMAPINFO!

Any port that ever tried to rebuild Doom engine from scratch, because I'd like to see a port without some of Doom engine's quirks that are so deeply rooted that even advanced ports derived from Doom engine don't dare to touch them.

The problem here is of course that if you remove the quirks, many maps will break. Far too many mappers over the last 24 years placed exploitation of engine quirks too high on the list of imoportant things. Was there ever a port like this that went beyond the prototype stage?

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

A port that has built-in Doom editing

features.

That's different to reviving an old port.

Doom alphas and beta, to get a deeper insight into their process, and the evolution of Doom from its humble beginnings.

VaVoom. I believe it was once the "most advanced Doom port", until its development slowed down and eventually halted. It would be nice to see what cool stuff can be done with it.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:57 AM, printz said:

VaVoom. I believe it was once the "most advanced Doom port", until its development slowed down and eventually halted. It would be nice to see what cool stuff can be done with it.

well, your wish is granted!

4 hours ago, ketmar said:

Hey, whatcha doing there? Are you going to make a thread and explain or did I miss it?

Also, I would like to see a maintained prboom+ with an Infinite Height Actors toggle.

5 hours ago, VGA said:

Hey, whatcha doing there? Are you going to make a thread and explain or did I miss it?

Also, I would like to see a maintained prboom+ with an Infinite Height Actors toggle.

ah, i entered this subforum exactly to make a thread about my fork. but i am still not sure if i should do it now, or wait unitl i complete some exciting new features. i'll prolly just toss a coin.

and, to stay on-topic, i have to say that i want VaVoom to be revived. the more times VaVoom mentioned, the better. ;-)

Also kudos to Ketmar for reviving Vavoom. I never got to see before what the "most advanced doom port" had to offer

26 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Personally, I would love to see a prboom+ for heretic and hexen.

Eternity (which I perceive as being in the same family as prboom+) is getting support for those games.