Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Maskim Xul - what the heck what is this doing on the front page

So as y'all can see the deadline has come and gone: life sucks and then you die, eh?

The good news is that I'm almost completely done and with any luck I should get this beast out the door in the next couple of days! Thanks heaps to SuperCupcakeTactics for helping me out and I look forward to revealing the final release candidate. :)

Wonderful map. The music gives a sense of dread and despair, while the gameplay is (for the most part) balanced and fun. I'd play this with some weapon mods, as gameplay changers remove the enemies which are fun to fight against. Anti-gravity chamber gave me a big mindfuck, but it's impressive and I liked it a lot.

HOLY FUCK, IT'S FINISHED!

Check the OP for the final release candidate. A lot bit behind schedule, but what can you do?

Of course I've downloaded this and tested it. Looks really good and promising, seems like this will be a nice creepy adventure. I'll be giving some feedback after I attempt to finnish Valiant. 

By the way, I assume I did something wrong at some point and then solved it somehow, but my question is, what happened?:

Spoiler

doom00.png.2100e436df0a7202e1418a4189e5b53b.png

Hahaha.

Somehow you must've skipped the silent teleporter lines. I remember Vita being able to do that in an early beta and I had no clue how to fix it, so I just put that texture there.

Either that or you're noclipping, if the HOM is any indication.

from the textfile: "Difficulty Settings: None"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAaAAAAAHHH!  here's a 4hr-ish FDA of me getting tentacle raped over and over.  I also used up all the saves in the world, all of them.  They are exhausted now, so no one else can use any saves now until the world's save reserves refill.

Also, the numbering of my demos is weird but just play them in order. I switched from cl9 to cl-1 after the first lmp.

noisy_MaskimXul.zip (if you are watching this demo, what is wrong with you)

Warning to players: I'd recommend lowest difficulty settings for the extra ammo, and plenty of saves - these maps are long and brutal for a casual first play.

in-game spoiler:

that boss monster is really cool.  I gave up on it though because it didn't seem like it wanted to die.  was i supposed to get lucky on those roulette pickups and get an invulnerability to use with the BFG?  oh well.  It was a really fucking badass sprite.  Kudos to Soundblock, Glide, and Cupcakes, whoever worked on it. Wow.

Summary: really cool and really bullshit.  good job Obsidian

1 hour ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Summary: really cool and really bullshit.  good job Obsidian

Haha, that's a fair enough conclusion. I'd like to hope that there's just enough health and ammo to complete things, but like you said that's not the easiest thing to do on the first casual run.

In response to that spoiler: 

Spoiler

Using the roulette sphere in conjunction with the Grimoire is one way of doing it, but there's also a decent amount of health and ammo around the outskirts. I could add more medkits if you like to make the Grimoire a bit more viable.

Annnnd uploaded to Incoming! I'm considering updating the wad sometime in the future with the odd fanciful addition, but aside from that this baby is DONE! I'll post the IdGames link in the OP when it hits the archives proper.

Hm, what version of ZDoom are you running? I have the final version before it went defunct and it works fine for me.

...FFS, for some reason BrainDie doesn't activate on the boss in GZDoom. Looks like I'll need to update on the archives: I really didn't wanna do that too much.

Cheers for finding the bug though. :)

Congrats on the release. :)
This has to be the most impressive DEHACKED exhibition I've ever seen (haven't played Batman Doom yet though, heh).

Map 03 does deliver, but I think the music's a bit too energistic for the lovecraftian mood you've tried to set up here. After spending some time in the "rotating" room puzzle, I IDMUS'd to 02 and kept it that way until the very end.

Loved the Arch-Vile library, and the ending was quite hectic too.

Yeah, that was a bit of a conundrum: I had the music from MAP06 of 32 Inch Nails as a placeholder and (despite it being a fine track) I was getting rather sick of it. The JimmyMIDI I found seemed to fit okay, but if you have any suggestions for a replacement I'd be more than happy to hear them.

That aside, I'm glad you enjoyed my work. :)

Thu Dec 7 21:32:32 EST 2017 Rejected MaskimXul.zip because: contains unmodified id Software resource (ag128_1)

...Oh.

Lemme get right on that.

*Falls down a flight of stairs.*

EDIT: Hm, I wonder if it's a possibility that the patch got copied over when I was using it in a particular texture. That aside, this might be a blessing in disguise: this way I can fix the odd bug that escaped my notice without needing to update the archive entry. Cheers for letting me know Eris!

*Hums Life of Brian*

Edited by Obsidian

I don't know what software they use to check such things, but AG128_1 is not in the wad. There's GOLD2, which is a 'brownish' version of AG128_1, but that should be okay. The DOSHx1 animated screens from TNT.wad are there. Those use AG128_1 and AG128_2 as their base. That must be what's being found. What an inspecific error message. Are TNT textures acceptable to upload, but Doom ones not?

Oh, I also just noticed you have a zip inside your wad called SHUB. It's the sprite sheets for your boss. Don't know if that was intended as a 'giveaway/easter egg' to modders, or not.

Edit: I'm dumb. It IS there. I sped right past it. I still have the question about TNT textures, though.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

It is, since I give permission to use the boss sprites as long as credit is given to me (the sprites in the zip are in their original size).

Edited by SuperCupcakeTactics

Yeah, I had the idea of including the original sprites at their original size without my alterations so people could use them with the same amount of versatility I enjoyed. Also agreed. =D

I kinda wonder if I've broken anything but I'm stuck in MAP03. I've killed everything that the monster counter counts (damn tentacles keep respawning though) and I'm dodging tentacle plasma balls in the boss pit with no idea where to go. Is it because I've killed the boss too quick? I've used the random powerups to get invulnerability effect and then went hog wild with the grimoire. Then a bunch of monsters started teleporting in but they mostly killed each others off through infight, I merely helped them a little bit along the way.

I mean, once I beat the (really) big badass I'm supposed to win, ain't I? Ain't I? Where's my fat reward and teleporter to the next level? It's not supposed to end this way!

Heh, I'm gonna take a guess and say that you were playing in GZDoom: SuperCupcakeTactics found a bug where BrainDie doesn't call for some reason, but only in GZDoom. Haven't figured out why yet.

Guilty as charged. I'll just console-run "special exit_normal 0" then.