Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traversd

BYTESIZE - 100 lines map set - RELEASED

Just started map04. I have to say that these maps so far have been rather good fun, chaotic but fun. The chaingun is just a saving grace for me, glad there is plenty of ammo.

An interesting limit as well. I must admit I did look at them in slade first and thought WTF is this, but it kinda works.

FYI: I have just played the first three so far.

This was fun. You used the space well because the maps did not feel cramped or even that small. There were spots that certainly required some well thought movement and weapon choosing. I did feel ammo was maybe a little bit short. Well, bullets, anyway. I do like when wads force you to think about ammo, but I wasn't able to "properly" finish map 3. I literally had no ammo and plenty of foes to kill so I just had to exit. That being said, I did actually have 120 cells but had not found a plasma gun. 

Health was at a pretty good level. I spent a lot of time in the 40-60 range, but I'm not the greatest player ever. The result was constant medium-high tension/fear, but there was always a welcome stimpack or medikit to keep me from dying (for the most part).

Hey, you could change dl=0 into dl=1 for automatic download. Just saying for future reference. 

1 hour ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Hey, you could change dl=0 into dl=1 for automatic download. Just saying for future reference. 

Done! Thanks for the tip :)

I love line limit restrictions because you have to really think about how and why you layout your map.

I don't use fancy tricks like unclosed sectors though. I'm too vanilla for that :)

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

I love line limit restrictions because you have to really think about how and why you layout your map.

I don't use fancy tricks like unclosed sectors though. I'm too vanilla for that :)

Many of the unclosed sectors have been used simply to split linedefs vertically for applying 2 or 3 textures to a wall. A godsend when you can't add in trim, alcoves etc :)

The thought of unclosed sectors is truly horrific for me, not sure why thou. Still enjoying the maps so far btw, really good work.

Some close calls but survived map two - these maps don't mess around - excited for more

Maps are getting more challenging - ya got me this time - really amazing how you used so few lindefs - extremely clever way of working with the limitation - can't wait to see what's next - and the combat is top notch - short - challenging - sweet - keeping me on my toes - this is my JAM

Map 4 difficulty was a surprise jump! @Dubbag was here to witness the pain - actually very fun and thrilling but I was not expecting such a wild ride

PS wish my luck my mic appears to be dead which means I don't know when I can play more

UV pistol starts with saves

Port: DSDA-Doom v0.19.7 -complevel 9

Total IGT: 1:22:55

Personal Difficulty Evaluation: 2.0 (2 = Ancient Aliens)

Personal Rating: 7.6 (out of 10)

Comments:

Spoiler

Mostly pretty short maps with non-rectangular designs. Really enjoy the second part (Map7~12) where you have more ammo to go around. I personally liked the non-rectangular designs because it feels a bit strange, but refreshing at the same time as most of the maps are straight hallways and rooms. However, the maps in BYTESIZE connects in a quite different manner.

The main mapping trick is having Arch-viles resurrecting previous killed areas, or sometimes a new thing spawned in the previous area to surprise the player. Sometimes this will be fun, but sometimes it's not very friendly to blind playthrough, so it's more like a double edged sword in this case. Later maps, like Map12, you have enough ammo to deal with these, so it's fun, but Map06 is the one I don't really like where you probably need the secret to deal with those traps.

Map05 stands out in difficulty. Probably you've updated now already, but here I'm talking about the one I played. I would say its difficulty is higher than even Map12 IMO. I personally would say having a secret or something near the exit to give a BFG could be a way to make the map more fun.

Thanks @GarrettChan I'll go away and do some homework on these to hopefully improve as many of the aspects you have mentioned as possible :)

Clippy is at Map05 so I've suggested they wait until I complete a v1.2 with most of the above homework implemented.

The Arch-vile placement is certainly a mechanism used in the later maps to replace monster closets given the limit on geometry. Every triangle used to hold monsters is a lost triangle to the map itself ;) With Map06 and Map10 I had to use thing decorations to help create off-map monster closets. But yes, not much chill in the maps because of this approach.

Unless I've added one and forgot - yes, I've purposely left backpacks out of the set so that whilst giving the player lots of ammo its not all picked up at the start of a map - but I do concede it has the other impact of sometimes wasting a large ammo pickup. I went with small cell packs in Map07 for that reason but dotting the landscape with single rockets felt a bit silly :)

My sincere thanks again!

Travers

@traversd

Oh I see, because you have the limited 100 lines, so you did the AV traps. I don't really mind those, but it has feeling of fatigue for a bit after seeing way too many, heh.

I do notice you left out the backpacks. I'm also fine with that. I personally just think the maps I mentioned about backpack would probably play out a bit better. However, I said that on Map07 because I thought Map07 could be longer, but judging from its size after I finished it, backpack is not really needed. It's fine to keep rocket boxes on Map07. Another way to do it is put a single rocket stash, but offset the rockets a little bit to give the player a visual cue about having many rockets here instead of one.

This was an excellent set and very enjoyable to play. Lots of challenging setups and very well-placed monsters. I really feel like your vision came through with this set and can't wait to see what you are capable of creating without the 100 line restriction!

Hey thanks for the feedback, super glad that you enjoyed them. I saw the demos you posted as well - very clever. Can't say I thought about those aspects.

The irony of this set is I thought a series of smaller maps would be quicker to make and release (looks at date of first post and winces). Instead I sweated over whether a vertex should have 6 linedefs coming off it or 5, can I make do without a rectangle here and where can I put a transfer heights reference sector for liquids :) Oh well, fun was had making these, good to hear fun was had playing them as well.