Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AleksB

Music question

Question

Hi all,

I downloaded a song of the chillax megawad project, but I can only find an MP3 version of it, and I wanna submit one of my wads to doomworld, and they dont allow mp3's.  What can I do to convert the file so its suitable for submission?

15 answers to this question

There's nothing stopping you from using an MP3. What is actually stopping you is if you have permission to use the track. You cannot upload copyrighted material you do not have expressed permission to use (if it's not yours already). Converting its file format would not magically change this.

I might just resort to that.  Im very surprised how strict the rules are for uploading. 

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

There's nothing stopping you from using an MP3. What is actually stopping you is if you have permission to use the track. You cannot upload copyrighted material you do not have expressed permission to use (if it's not yours already). Converting its file format would not magically change this.

Oh I see.  Well idk how to get permission from the creators of that soundtrack so I guess thats a lost cause lol

2 hours ago, AleksB said:

I might just resort to that.  Im very surprised how strict the rules are for uploading. 

"Don't steal other peoples stuff" is hardly a strict rule. That's just blatant common sense. You will equally find that making mods with stolen resources will also prevent you from posting the mod on the forums as well, regardless of where it's hosted.

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

And this is why I don't upload to idgames. Just upload to ModDB or Mediafire.

OK! Have fun finding it again in ten years!

If it's just the music you're worried about you can always make an alternate build that has the music replaced with something else that isn't copyrighted.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

"Don't steal other peoples stuff" is hardly a strict rule. That's just blatant common sense. You will equally find that making mods with stolen resources will also prevent you from posting the mod on the forums as well, regardless of where it's hosted.

I understand the premise, but its not like im trying to make any money from these wads.  In my txt file, I credited the authors of chillax and the authors of the soundtrack, and stated that the wad was purley for fun and not trying to make any money or gain of any kind of fame.  I had no intention of "stealing".  I mean just me personally, i cant speak for other people but if I made a soundtrack and people were using it, I wouldnt care.  Most people have the decency to credit the authors.  The whole chillax soundtrack is on youtube, and I dont remember seeing any kind of credits to the authors.  I could be wrong on that tho so dont quote me on that.  But they are gaining views on their channel, so its kind of the same thing.  Idk I see where your coming from but most people dont think of it as stealing their music imo.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

OK! Have fun finding it again in ten years!

Thats why I would love to upload to idgames. 

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

And also people use music from big label bands.  Like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Lamb of god, Alice in Chains etc...  How is that any different?  Not trying to argue, I just wish the rules had some flexibility and leeway at some times.

1 hour ago, AleksB said:

And also people use music from big label bands.  Like Metallica, Black Sabbath, Lamb of god, Alice in Chains etc...  How is that any different?  Not trying to argue, I just wish the rules had some flexibility and leeway at some times.

They are usually MIDI compositions, not actually ripped tracks from limewire.

1 hour ago, AleksB said:

I understand the premise, but its not like im trying to make any money from these wads. In my txt file, I credited the authors of chillax and the authors of the soundtrack, and stated that the wad was purley for fun and not trying to make any money or gain of any kind of fame.

That's not how copyright works at all. Ever.

However, if the chillax authors who composed the soundtrack give you permission to use the soundtrack, either though granted permission from their text file, or expressed written permission from them personally. You can use it.

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

They are usually MIDI compositions, not actually ripped tracks from limewire.

The somg I used is a midi.  I just downloaded it, and the file was an mp3 file.  But the actual sound of the song is midi

2 minutes ago, AleksB said:

The somg I used is a midi.  I just downloaded it, and the file was an mp3 file.  But the actual sound of the song is midi

Wait, this was you? Well why didn't you say that from the start? :/

Your music track was rejected because it's a MIDI track recorded into an 8MB MP3, as stated. Find the original midi or replace it with a different track. Either that or contact @The Green Herring to ask him to reconsider the upload or provide advice.

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Wait, this was you? Well why didn't you say that from the start? :/

Your music track was rejected because it's a MIDI track recorded into an 8MB MP3, as stated. Find the original midi or replace it with a different track. Either that or contact @The Green Herring to ask him to reconsider the upload or provide advice.

Yep thats me.  Thats why i was wondering if there was any way to convert it to a different file format or a midi sequence file to make the size smaller.  But I will try to message him and ask him to reconsider.  I probably should included that my wad was the hells compost in the original thread.

Why are there copyright laws on music for Doom wads? id software practically ripped half the MIDIs from Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 from other metal songs. And it's not like WADs are being sold on a shelf at Gamestop. I never understood these damn laws.

Edited by stru

How can a musician pay his rent if his source of income is being given away for free? If you put the mp3 inside a wad, that doesn't change the fact that you are illegally distributing copyrighted music.