Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

Just now, Major Arlene said:

I recommend using mods to make the potions, books, and misc. items weigh little or nothing- it's a real lifesaver.

I'm playing vanilla for the first time, just because I want a "pure and unblemished" experience. Might look for some mods on my second playthrough, just to smooth out some wrinkles.

I'm not a compulsive hoarder though, so carry weight has not been too much of an issue.

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour Runny Pissshit Edition. Besides the bizarre omission of an editor and the fact they think the new episode was worth $20 alone, Duke3D in itself is still a very decent game. Even though it never grabbed my attention the same way Doom, Quake, and even Wolf3D did. Got it on sale for $6 and I'd go no higher for a game from 1996.

I'm playing Doom again because I finally fixed my video and graphics drivers, and by "I" I mean "Rachael" because I don't know what the fuck I'm doing at any given moment wauuugh

I rediscovered Starbound with mods. Also, I'm planning replay Undertale, because why not?

I started playing Boss Monster last night and I'm hooked. I bought the actual card game and couldn't wait to to play with someone so I was watching tutorials online and found they have a digital version as well so I tried that out for a bit. At least I know I'll like the game when the time comes to break it out :D

13 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour Runny Pissshit Edition. Besides the bizarre omission of an editor and the fact they think the new episode was worth $20 alone, Duke3D in itself is still a very decent game. Even though it never grabbed my attention the same way Doom, Quake, and even Wolf3D did. Got it on sale for $6 and I'd go no higher for a game from 1996.

i'm still fairly peeved i had no idea the Megaton Edition had those official expansion packs in it... which i learnt about after it was too late to get it again.

Duke Nukem 3D as a game is pretty damn good though. the difficulty is a bit lopsided IMO with the Pig Cops and Enforcers being not only dangerous hitscanners, but also extremely durable. however, i think the game knows about this, and compensates with the huge abundance of explosive and special weapons to take them down easily, which, if you know to utilize those against them, makes the game more fun to play. having the portable medkit helps, too.

I Started Playing Wolfenstein 2009.

IM SORRY but this games does not deserve the flak it gets. Its a great game, maybe even better than RTCW.

I love how much I can play around with the Thulle medallion and the various enemy and weapon types.

Not to mention I get to pimp my gun and cool ways.

Started to re-play (well' i've played a very little part of it, maybe 10 minutes of it years ago) Katawa Shoujo, i hope nothing horribly wrong happens here... but looks pretty normal (expect the people that we have to interact...) and there's already some like-able characters...

10 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

Duke Nukem 3D as a game is pretty damn good though. the difficulty is a bit lopsided IMO with the Pig Cops and Enforcers being not only dangerous hitscanners, but also extremely durable.

The Battlelord is the bane of my existence in that game. Thankfully the Shrink Ray is very good at cheesing them after just a couple of shots, most of the time anyway.

I find BUILD shooters encourage you to abuse explosives, Blood's dynamite and napalm launcher, Duke's RPG and pipebomb, SW's missile and grenade launchers, these are always great fun to use and ammo for them is not uncommon.

I'm still going through Marathon stuff. I finished the trilogy a while ago and have been working on mods. Rubicon was pretty good but Eternal is a serious drag, and ugly to boot. I'll be glad when it's done.

Just started playing Doom64 EX 👌. This one is quite possibly going to be my favorite Doom game. Playing FPS with a partially broken mouse is interesting, at the very least :v .

Besides Doom64 EX I'm also playing the classic Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D every now and then, Death Rally (the classic), and MK2011 (with a keyboard, I actually enjoy playing MK this way).

@Viscra Maelstrom Gotta disagree about the Pig Cops though. They are easily one of the weakest enemies in the game from my experience, unless they come in sheer numbers (and with shotguns). At close range that is indeed pretty painful to experience.

And talking about the 20th Anniversay Edition, I would not recommend that version. It's terribly overpriced and does not include any of the expansions the Megaton Edition had, that one was well worth 10$. Not worth getting for more than 5$ or so in my book. And most certainly not worth getting at all for whoever bought the Megaton Edition while it was still available. What a shame it will never return...

Edited by Agent6

Playing Marathon RED, aka the Aliens TC of Marathon. It's one of the older Marathon scenarios, being released around 2000. Short of a quick porting to Aleph One it's otherwise untouched from its original state -- and that includes all the bugs and weird writing and mapping mistakes.

That being said, for being what's essentially "Aliens For Edgelords" the mod is surprisingly creepy. The first chapter is pretty standard Aliens fare, but the 2nd chapter switches things up by dropping you in a city being overrun by weird floating robots made of junk, and the bizarre noises they make are super disconcerting.

I start to realize that I do not play a lot of recent games and I usually go back a lot to old games, although I am actively playing RE7 and GTA V (I just finished Wolfestein 2, but I think I will not play it again in a while, even though it was great.) However, in the last few nights, I'm playing FEAR again.

@dethtoll Seeing as I know next to nothing about Marathon, let alone its modding community, this sounds pretty interesting. I have Aleph One and the Marathon trilogy ready to go whenever I feel like it, but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

Trying to finish DmC: Devil May Cry, on the new episode of Douk World Tour, finishing the 'racing' portion of Carmageddon: Max Damage before attempting to kill all the pedestrians.

On 5. 12. 2017 at 4:44 PM, Viscra Maelstrom said:

Pig Cops [...] extremely durable.

16 hours ago, Agent6 said:

@Viscra Maelstrom Gotta disagree about the Pig Cops though. They are easily one of the weakest enemies in the game from my experience,

I'm sure the durability was meant relatively to their Doom counterparts. In Doom, you can kill up to 3 Shotgunners with a single shotgun blast, but in Duke3D, you often need more than 1 shotgun blast to kill just a single Pig Cop.

I was playing through Space Quest 6 and discovered a Doom joke which I didn't find the first time, however I have now gotten to my least favorite part of the game which is when you have to be shrunken and injected into one of your friends to save them.

8 hours ago, scifista42 said:

I'm sure the durability was meant relatively to their Doom counterparts. In Doom, you can kill up to 3 Shotgunners with a single shotgun blast, but in Duke3D, you often need more than 1 shotgun blast to kill just a single Pig Cop.

that's exactly what i was referring to. both they and the Enforcers requires explosive or special weapons to be taken care of quickly, which can make encounters with several of them drag a bit. fortunately, Duke 3D's arsenal is more or less made for crowd control, so that's not too big an issue, but it's still a design decision i feel Doom got right that other games didn't.

I just got a Nintendo Switch about a week ago so I've been playing a good amount of Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and replaying Sonic Mania. I've also started playing Overwatch again for a few hours every night.

22 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

@dethtoll Seeing as I know next to nothing about Marathon, let alone its modding community, this sounds pretty interesting. I have Aleph One and the Marathon trilogy ready to go whenever I feel like it, but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

The trilogy is very solid, an 8/10 average IMO. All of them have their quirks (the first and third especially) but they're incredibly influential -- especially with Valve games, and I'm not the only one who noticed. They really did prove as early as 1994 that good writing could elevate an action game.

As far as the major mods, it's been a bit of a mixed bag so far. Rubicon is the most solidly put together of the three that I've played; in spite of some uneven difficulty it's probably the closest you'll get to a sequel to Marathon 2 in terms of gameplay and plot. Eternal is, in contrast, a showcase of horrible mapping and horrible art assets (seriously, the textures are BAD) wedded to an okay-to-decent story. And RED is a hot mess technically, juvenile in terms of story, and downright scary nonetheless.

Next up is EVIL but I might take a brief break.

Just finishing my first Dark Souls III campaign, died quite a few times to Soul of Cinder aleady. The game is much more fun than i thought it would be.

Replaying Doom 2.

Also finished Doom64 EX today and damn, that final boss fight is shit. Until, after 10 attempts, I'd managed to find a pattern in her attacks and easily dodged them all at very close range. Fighting from a distance is not a good idea at all due to her homing missiles.

I also really wish finding the Demon Keys to upgrade the Unmaker was mandatory, I wasn't able to find any of the secret levels in which their located on my own :( . Without the upgrades the weapon is just far too unpredictable. Either does lots of damage, or barely any. But other than that, enjoyed the game, and I like the levels, textures, and enemies more than the first 2 games.

Hahah, Doom 64 is so easy, even at "Watch me die" but this is probably due to the fact that I started playing that game more than 15 years ago. There's no secrets for me anymore, I liked it due to its dark and evil atmosphere that is unique to that particular game.

Same thing for Doom 2 I guess, but less dark. I found the game more hard on UV than D64.