Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

what would you like to see more of from the doom community?

Yeah, more complete speedrunning coverage would be awesome, but it would be better off in its own venue than in the Cacowards -- it's too different from everything else that gets awarded, and none of us but dew have the expertise to say anything about it.

2 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

- More people pestering me to finally start a mapset.

You should start a mapset.

18 minutes ago, Xaser said:

The only two examples of this I can think of at all are ZDCMP2 and HPack,

Pirate Doom?

48 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

more "beginner" mapper community projects. I'm most definitely a beginner, and I think due to this I haven't really wanted to try releasing a map (again) because I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot releasing something that isn't very impressive. I think a community project would be a great way to draw out beginners who are nervous about releasing their maps out into the /idgames archives. A sort of confidence booster, if you will. the 4800 Hell Knights project is a great example.

tl;dr every mapper's gotta start somewhere, let's give them better places to start.

First off, that's what the joy of mapping is there for. Contrary to popular belief that "project" is not only there to just punch a pack out now and then, but also to give support and exchange ideas when no project is scheduled to begin with. That said, if what you want is to get your feet wet, you have no reason not to be in it.

Other than that, Community projects may or may not be good to get something done. The recycled project I started was aimed at new mappers as well, since the general idea was to encourage people to actually just get comfortable with an editor by way of letting them use an already functioning piece to work with and expand on.

Projects like 4800 HKs are not suited for beginners, imo, because the only thing that making a map for that project will most likely teach you is how to overuse one single thing if you're new to mapping. It takes actually experienced mappers who know a thing or two about how to create gameplay to get a decent map done on the basis of that concept. But I digress...

The thing about Community Projects is that while you can make a map for it, there's not much in the way of tutorials going on. Hence JOM is the better choice, clearly.

8 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

We already established that both you and I were to either release an individual set next year, or create a collab set. Failure will result in being a poopy-head. ;-)

10 minutes ago, kraflab said:

Pirate Doom?

That's a solo project. I was referring to examples of the "community project with enemies/weapons in the resource" concept.

I think the Doom community / Doomworld in general is pretty awesome. Thank you for letting me be a part of it so long even if I do zero to contribute. Don't you change Doomunity!

I would really just want 2 things:
1.More Heretic/Hexen/Strife wads and projects.
2.More "intermediate" projects for when you aren't a begginer anymore but are still not experienced enough to join one of the bigger projects.

For me, as for my tastes, the community is almost complete, since the work of creating mods and wads is daily, fluid, very interesting every day and without stopping. Maybe they had more active moments before, but I think that to be such an old game, it's a wonderful thing to be active these days. Maybe the only thing I would like to see more is a bit of art, maybe wallpapers or fan art, I usually have trouble finding that kind of stuff about Doom. But still, I think it's more than good.

Agreed that speedrunning deserves more attention. It's a niche interest, and one that I'm mostly ambivalent towards, but it requires a lot of skill and is something that many people here are passionate about. 

I also find myself in disagreement with Linguica's reasoning for removing the Mockaward. Although I think that the name itself should be abandoned. I've played quite a few excellent yet underappreciated comedy WADs this year, and I really think that comedy WADs in general are deserving of more appreciation. Sometimes it's great just to play something for 5 minutes only to have a laugh. I realise that the downside is that a lot of comedy WADs don't age well, as they become less culturally relevant overtime, but being able to construct something that is both humorous and thoughtful is something that I think deserves special recognition. 

27 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Make a mapset C:

more "beginner" mapper community projects. I'm most definitely a beginner, and I think due to this I haven't really wanted to try releasing a map (again)because I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot releasing something that isn't very impressive.

There are a ton of them already imo,if you never release a map you will never get the feedback to refine your mapping style D: take my advice,if you don't make the first step to start being a mapper you will never have the feeling of knowing that people are having fun playing something YOU made :D!!!

I know the JoM project is supposed to be this, but there's an interesting irony I've noticed: The presence of maps by legends such as Dragonfly almost make me feel like anything I make will be ridiculous in comparison.

TBH if legends didn't join those project a large chunk of people who would play them would be lost,those project aren't there to make quality stuff,they are there to show your style of so that you can get feedback :)

I think we've got it pretty good as it is, too, but for my part I'd like to see more mapset projects (be they solo, team-based, or community-based) that are shaped by conceptual interpretation as opposed to limitation. For example, something as simple as "here's a texture pack that hasn't been used very much, let's get together and try to make an episode of cool maps for it" as opposed to projects based on rules like only being able to use X number of lines or Y number of actors or Z number of textures or which can only exist in an X-by-Y allotment of space or the like.

To name an existing example I think is cool, I'm thinking of something in the vein of SlaughterMAX, where the core concept is basically to make enjoyable slaughtermaps (using stock textures, if you want to call that a restriction?), and nothing more or less conceptually complicated than that--very open, if you see what I mean.

@rdwpa : Make a mapset. Pretty please?

46 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Based on the number of individual map threads you had going for awhile, you've probably already made a mapset. Just release the dang thing already!

(and then make another one!)

4 hours ago, Memfis said:

Have Doom programmers ever attempted writing some sort of a guide to working on ports? Like maybe they could explain the basics of how the rendering and all that stuff works in the original code. Or is it a cold world where you have to figure it all out on your own?

Unfortunately, *really* explaining is done best with the code. Otherwise, you have to be much more verbose, and you end up only approximating the truth.

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

- More fun larger mapsets with SoD-Sunlust difficulty and gameplay.

- More Boom/MBF mapsets that use Dehacked in a very complex and thematically consistent way, such as in Maskim Xul.

- More texture resources.

- Community projects along the lines of CCx, JPCP, the French compilations. 

- Cloning Jimmy/Stewboy a few times so that we have even more awesome music.

yes yes YES

49 minutes ago, SOSU said:

2.More "intermediate" projects for when you aren't a begginer anymore but are still not experienced enough to join one of the bigger projects.

The yearly Doomworld Community Projects seem to fit that niche, it seems to feature a lot of people who are not new-new, but still finding their feet.

48 minutes ago, SOSU said:

TBH if legends didn't join those project a large chunk of people who would play them would be lost,those project aren't there to make quality stuff,they are there to show your style of so that you can get feedback :)

This I totally agree with.  As a new mapper, you learn so much from watching others work.  Being part of something with people who are better (or, at least, different) from you is a great opportunity.  Although, I do understand it does need some sense of self-confidence not to be intimidated but to see it as a learning opportunity.

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

RD, please start a mapset...

I would like to make some doom64ex stuff, but since I'm lazy hopefully someone else does in 2018

4 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

Unlimited saves in non ZDoom ports.

Yes please, also a mapset from rdwpa would be awesome.

Edited by Ancalagon

I'm trying to wrap my head around the "we need more projects" posts. What is it about you guys that are motivated to map but waiting for someone to post the project you want to map for? Community projects are rarely any good. Are you guys really asking for some sort of gathering to facilitate practice mapping?

More mapsets for specfic mods, that cater to their strengths.

A race mode for speed running, where you can load someone's demo and then play the level with a 'ghost' of the demo's runner visible in the map.

I would like to see and be part of an ACP (Argentinian Community Project), someday.

3 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Just f***ing start a mapset ok?

c:

Agreed with Xaser - I'd like a community project setting that uses powergun.wad or some other new weapons or assets. Like I mentioned in another thread something that uses Valiant's monsters/textures would be super cool to join with everything already sorted out - and it doesn't have to be a megawad in length (although it could be) but an episode would be just as acceptable.

I'd also like to see more total or partial conversions. Some mods like Contra Doom are cool or that Castlevania wad. I'd also like to see more love for player skins - I think my biggest obstacle when making player skins is working around Doom's color palette, since some things I've turned into player skins usually require some additional editing to make sure it looks good enough, at least. Also I'm not very good at animating, so I'd like to see other people with more talent manage such things.