Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NieMaMordy

I Hate my Neighbors - 26 maps Megawad (NOW ON IDGAMES)

Played through the first 14 levels so far and enjoyed them quite a lot. AnonimVio's style is dark and serious, whereas yours is colorful and a bit more naive (in a good way). They complement each other well. I disliked the difficulty spike on Map11: everything before was so approachable and now suddenly you're throwing slaughter-like encounters at me? I feel like that's a bit too sudden. The following maps seemed noticeably trickier too, with low health balance, so I figured it's time for me to take a break. Btw Map06 is impossible to complete in prboom-plus because linedef 240 "eats" keypresses, preventing the player from activating the switch behind, and Map10 uses a hanging corpse that blocks your movement (thing 11).

Quite adorable wad overall, I've been dreaming of creating something like this ever since I started mapping to be honest. Gonna play more for sure. Btw in case you guys don't realize this (and I know there are people who don't), there is no requirement that every wad needs to have exactly 32 levels. If anything, we need more mapsets with unusual length to break that pointless tradition. So you could always just repackage this as a 26 level megawad and release it without that annoying "abandoned" mark. Just saying...

I must admit, we had some problems with balancing the gameplay. In my opinion Anonim's levels were too hard, while in his opinion my levels were too easy. This discord might have been one of the reasons we lost our motivation. So yeah, I recommend changing your difficulty settings when playing maps after the 11th one, because it becomes very hard after that. You can also try playing continously. I edited the main post to include that info.

EDIT: Added a new version of a wad with fixed errors memfis was talking about

Edited by Chamelenoel

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

Btw in case you guys don't realize this (and I know there are people who don't), there is no requirement that every wad needs to have exactly 32 levels. If anything, we need more mapsets with unusual length to break that pointless tradition. So you could always just repackage this as a 26 level megawad and release it without that annoying "abandoned" mark. Just saying...

I agree a whole lot with this. If you tell everyone it was meant to be this way from the start, no one will know any better, and it'll likely change the way that people perceive the wad (for the better!).

I agree with Memfis; since the project isn't going for the full 32 it would be nice to have it release with the available maps. A 26-level megawad still sounds like a good length.

@Chamelenoel @AnonimVio @Ribbiks

Sick map.

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 cl9 (no idea about secrets and monsters)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m05ugdfgtt12590/ihmn32.zip?dl=0

A critique: there should be pain elementals that are released on timers if you dont hit those switches fast enough. If you hit the switch the PEs for that wing are crushed.

Edit2:

The midi is amazing.

Edit3:

I have the midi on repeat now. Might consider playing it permanently on stream.

Edit4:

Add scrollers on those larger square pillars in the first wing for shits and giggles for A+ fun.

Edited by Killer5

Yeah sorry for these secret maps. We thought it would be a good idea to include joke ones as maps 31 and 32 :p

I will try to convince AnonimVio about this non 32 map wad release, but I can't promise anything. He still belives that one day we might come back to finishing it. 

Good news. Anonim made up his mind, and we both decided to release this one as a 26 maps wad. This version won't be that much diffirent from the current one, but at least you won't need to use idclev. We will also try to fix balance a bit. We will keep you posted

I updated the main post. We compiled it to be a little bit more finished. Some people told us it's a good idea, and we kinda think so too. Let's consider it a beta. When we get rid of all the main glitches, we will upload it to idgames archive. I hope you will have fun, and won't encounter any major bugs.

changes:

-Map 23 is now map 22.
-Map 27 is now map 23.
-Map 30 is now map 24.

-We also added Map 25 with the big wall of text, including story and credits. 

-We deleted partimes. There is too much trouble with them

-Added difficulty levels to every level now.

Edited by Chamelenoel

Up to level 11 tonight; got trashed by the final YK encounter and the final archvile didn't cooperate, will continue tomorrow and hopefully post an FDA dump.  

edit: or just have them now, will do the rest tomorrow I guess.

noisy_ihmn_1to11.zip

Why not? Do you mean that story and monster screen aren't going to appear? We fixed it by adding map 25 which cannot be beaten and contains a wall of text with the plot and credits

Edited by Chamelenoel

Map30 is the only map where enemies can telefrag each other and player. Icon of sin fight will still work, but enemies will get stuck in each other after a while (and player can get stuck too).

The problem is that we can't find any way around that. Many would say that mapinfo would be the best solution but the problem is that mapinfo is very glitchy, does not work for us half of the time, and many ports don't support it. We don't want to put any one switch maps there either. Anyone knows any other solution for this? 

Edited by Chamelenoel

You could spawn monsters on a conveyor belt above the arena that would then immediately move and drop them. I think that should help a lot.

If you want to use the MAP30 slot, why not have a string of essentially blank maps that build anticipation towards the final battle. You're only lacking 5 slots, correct? For example, call each one "Countdown" and just make an empty black room with a big glowing sector number (MAP25="5", MAP26="4", etc.) where the player exits immediately upon moving. It'd be a lot easier than reworking your IoS fight and could even add a little style and drama.

I apologise mate, but I think memfis's idea is better. I never liked such countdowns. I will rework map 24 today, and will post it later.

So I added blood waterfalls to map 24. Now it should work fine in every source port. BTW, we recommend using idclip and checking out who's the icon of sin this time. You propably won't recognise him, but his expression is kinda funny. I updated link in the main post. I hope you will enjoy this map much better now.

Rest of FDAs: noisy_ihmn_theRest.zip

My playing was pretty god-awful :)

Bugs:

I found an inescapable pit on map11.

think I remember a HOM on some map but I don't remember where.

Notes:

The ammo starvation on UV was eventually too much for me first playthrough, which is fine because it's UV (as long as this is intended).

I went down to HMP by map15, and then to hntr at map21.

Overall experience: These maps were pretty fun actually.  The difficulty ramping is pretty steep, and mostly a result of tight ammo/health balance.

If I had a time machine, I would tell me to play 1-10 on UV; 11-20 on HMP; 21-24 on HNTR for a casual experience.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:56 PM, Chamelenoel said:

Every map is designed with pistol start in mind, though playing them this way might be a little bit too hard for some people, so we recommend playing through them continuously.

I guess this is true.  Difficulty settings seemed to work for maps that I downshifted for.

Hey, I hosted this in multiplayer tonight and found some problems. I have to say overall you did a great job maintaining coop compatibility with these emergency teleporters, but there are still a few issues:

Map14:

- there are three player 2 starts and no player 3/4 starts.

- it is possible to get stuck in sector 554.

Map16:

- there are two player 2 starts and no player 3 start.

Map17:

- the emergency teleport to sector tagged 23 takes you to the spot where monsters are the most likely to gather, I died there in like 2 seconds.

Map22:

- the emergency teleport to sector tagged 3 faces the wrong direction (you appear with monsters behind your back). I feel like I've seen a similar problem in some other level, but unfortunately I'm not certain.

Map30:

- um, what's the deal with tag 8? If these lamps are supposed to seal off the players in the starting area then it doesn't work, but what's the point of that anyway?

I don't know if you want to spend more time on this, but if you care I feel like some levels could use additional coop ammo and items. In particular, Map16 is really really tight on ammunition, and it doesn't help that not everyone can get the shotgun (because only the enemies drop it) or the berserk (even with item respawn it takes a while for everyone to pick it up). Map17 also seemed kinda tight. On Map19 maybe you could place two soulspheres at the start so that the guy who snatches the megasphere doesn't get to have all the fun. Since Map21 is a tyson map, it should have many coop berserk packs so that everyone can get one. The rest of the levels seemed fine I guess but still a little bit of bonus items for multiplayer would be welcome if you feel like working on that. Overall I found IHMN great fun in coop, so thank you for supporting it. :)

I fixed everything you mentioned above. Thanks for testing it in coop, because we weren't able to test it ourselveres, because our routers suck. Updated the main link.

Hey, found a minor thing in map 13. In the southeast part of the map I was able to drop down to sector 326/333 in the corner in such a way that I was stuck.

Don't know if you've already uploaded, but I think you could very easily just drag one or two vertices to create a little bit more space over there.5a392654dfee2_IHMN13.JPG.e93e3b34ae976a3d84a7a4190f0b8173.JPG

thanks man. I was just about to upload it to idgames. I will fix that and send it there after that

EDIT:

I just uploaded it there. Waiting for acceptance

Edited by Chamelenoel