Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PizzaGuy

Doom 64 These days

Hi guys , whats the best way to play Doom64 these days? Other than looking for a cheap N64 to play it on is there any other way to get my hands on it?

It's a game I've never payed a lot of attention to as i always thought it was just another port of the PC original. However after watching a documentary by Digital Foundry about every console port of Doom (which is well worth a watch, Check it out below) I realised its actually a fully fledged game in its own right.

Anyway , any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Other than looking for a cheap N64 to play it on is there any other way

Doom 64 EX

Like you have found out, Doom64 is an entirely new, and separate Doom game that takes place after the events of Final Doom as far as I'm aware. Whether it's an official or unofficial sequel... I'm not sure actually.

As about ways to play it, well that very much depends on what you're looking for. If you want something close to the original N64 version and with some other new features or even enemies you could try Absolution TC. There's also Retribution, GZDoom64, and of course Brutal Doom64 (name is self-explanatory).

If what you're looking for is something as close as possible to the original only with PC enhancements and nothing else that deviates from the original, then Doom64 EX is what you're looking for. The part that sucks is that it requires the extracted ROM from an N64 cartridge of the game. Here, it totally depends on whether you're really willing to invest quite a bit to get it on PC as legit as possible. For that, you (obviously) would have to buy from someone the N64 game and then some extra piece of hardware to connect it to the PC and get the file. To my knowledge, the only one who would make any profit nowadays from the game would be an ebay or simply another seller, not the developers, as it isn't available for sale anymore. If you do decide to buy all these things the costs range from decent to very high (if you're looking for a brand new N64 copy for instance, I've seen prices go as high as 150-200$).

From my point of view, all this hassle and money for one single game just isn't worth it, not under these circumstances, so what you decide to do is up to you. I'm definitely not one to support piracy (if anything, it's quite the contrary), but in more special cases such as this, downloading one from the internet sounds more reasonable (it's very easy to find, both the PAL and NTSC versions).

Other than these, I'm not aware of other ports of the game.

Edited by Agent6

DOOM 64 EX is excellent as long as you can find the ROM.  If you search hard enough, they are out there to download.  I've played both DOOM 64 EX and Brutal DOOM 64.

I remember specifically holding DOOM 64 in my hands at the local EB Games when I was a kid and for some reason I thought it was just a port of DOOM I for the N64 so I passed over it and never looked into it.  I already had DOOM on Windows, why buy the game again? 

I played it for the first time last year when I finally found the ROM for EX and was ecstatic to finally be able to play it.  After I beat EX, I played Brutal DOOM 64.  It takes a lot of creative liberties with the original game with some slight level redesigns, different enemy encounters, different boss battles, all for the good of pure brutal fun.

Either Doom 64 EX or the Doom 64 Retribution GZDoom mod by Nevander will give you good experiences, and Brutal Doom 64 if you want something weird.

Like others have said,

If you want the original experience as intended, with the legit game data: "obtain" the ROM and use Doom 64 EX.

If you want an experience close to the original but on a modern port, use any one of the TCs that have been made: Absolution TC, GZDoom64, Brutal Doom 64, or my own TC Doom 64 Retribution. Which one you choose is up to you, but please do not use the Absolution TC or GZDoom64. Both are very old, different, no longer maintained, etc.

Personally I wouldn't really recommend Absolution since it's less accurate than Doom 64 EX, nor Brutal Doom 64 since it aims more for the Brutal Doom fans.

IMHO Doom 64 EX and GZDoom 64 TC are the better of the four.

3 hours ago, Avoozl said:

IMHO Doom 64 EX and GZDoom 64 TC are the better of the four.

Surely you meant Doom 64 EX and Doom 64 Retribution?

GZDoom 64 is like... well it's what came before even Brutal Doom 64, and it's what Brutal Doom 64 is based on, which was based on The Absolution TC.

if accuracy is your goal, and you dont mind hunting for a ROM for it, Doom 64 EX is what you want. Otherwise, I'd recommend Retribution, which is still in development and will eventually have multiple extra campaigns alongside the official one

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys , will be looking into 'Doom 64 Ex' for sure from what you've all said its the most accurate version and the one closest to the original.

Unless i come across a cheap N64 that is. Also the price of a Doom64 cart in the UK is only £12 at CEX which is pretty cheap really.

I'm glad I wanted to buy Doom 64 a looong time ago back when we had a GameCrazy store locally. They actually had one (no box or manual) but it did allow me to play it finally on my N64. I made my own box actually and drew the logo and everything. I need to re-do it though since I was a lot younger.

I wish I had back when it was still available... But, I never owned an N64 (hell I never even owned an Xbox or PS console either), didn't think I'll ever return to Doom (honestly, I though many games or franchises I got into at the time I had a Win 95 machine were just that, an experience of the time) but I ended up coming back and keep playing many classics later in life.

Coming back to DOOM64, until 2-3yrs ago I wasn't even aware such a (fantastic) port exists. But it's way too late for that now for me. Prices from collectors and other sellers around here aren't good at all. Either sold for high prices (and with a couple other extra games beside Doom, needless to say useless and with no interest on my part), or by hardcore fans of the platform who refuse to sell it to anyone else but another collector and N64 player. Could probably say "well, time to look for other, foreign websites and what they have to offer" well, yeah, but that prices coupled with shipping costs + the thingy required for connecting the game to the PC... all in all, it's not worth it, not for just one game anyway.

If and when it ever gets re-released I'll damn right get my hands on a copy, knowing what I missed, unless it was one of those "once in a lifetime" opportunities, but until then, I'll resort to other methods.

My only experience with Doom 64 irl was a sad one. "Oh cool, Doom!" *plays it in the game store, but gets fed up quickly, because N64 controllers are AWFUL* I couldn't even figure out how to shoot, as the shoot button was UNDER the controller, and the controllers were kinda locked in one position to avoid thievery.

Definitely Doom64EX for me, Brutal Doom 64 changes things up here and there but I absolutely hate the tortured human decorations.