Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Did YouTube make linking to copyrighted content okay somehow?

If I link to warez here you're going to yell at me, but YouTube contains countless terabytes of music and all sorts of other stuff uploaded with no permission, and yet I've never seen anyone getting bashed for embedding a YT video. Is there some moral difference or what is the deal?

Youtube is interesting. If the music is partnered with VIMO or whatever it is, there tends to be automatic take downs. Otherwise Youtube / Google fall back on the "file a report." They won't file a report. Rammstien is tough to find on Youtube and on specific streaming sites.

I subscribe to Google Music / Youtube Red, which have deals with musicians ... and then musicians that they don't have deals, its still on Youtube.

Its amazing so many Youtubers get auto flagged for including background music, yet full songs are still available. Maybe the owners of songs still make money on the ads rather than the people posting them. Then again what if the wrong song is recognized? Like I see some Youtube gameplay videos where Youtube recognizes it as the wrong game.

Listening to individual songs has a different moral calculus from most forms of warez because we hear songs without paying for them all the time, be it from people around us or from listening to the radio or whatever.

1 hour ago, geo said:

Its amazing so many Youtubers get auto flagged for including background music, yet full songs are still available. Maybe the owners of songs still make money on the ads rather than the people posting them. Then again what if the wrong song is recognized? Like I see some Youtube gameplay videos where Youtube recognizes it as the wrong game.

Aren't a lot of those modified to avoid auto detection? Way lower quality and sometimes messed up. Same with those videos of full series episodes with GIGANTIC shit around the screen while the video is like 1\4 the screen and sounds aren't synced to vid correctly.

2 hours ago, Pegg said:

Aren't a lot of those modified to avoid auto detection? Way lower quality and sometimes messed up. Same with those videos of full series episodes with GIGANTIC shit around the screen while the video is like 1\4 the screen and sounds aren't synced to vid correctly.

Well the only reason why they would do that is if they wanted to monetize the video, if they didn't want to do that then there is no need for that, as seen by the millions of videos with unmodified full songs

It's not that the music industry has just given up on defending its rights. Google has done deals with the music industry so that they get a cut of Youtube revenues in return for allowing copyrighted music there. Most people don't seem to be aware of this.

Occasionally these deals fall through and hilarity  ensues.

I've received letters for torrenting Rick and Morty to my ISP. People still try and people still care

OT @fraggle Sorry about that youtube post earlier, I wasn't trying to advertise as I think my channel has like 2 videos lol. I was trying to entertain mainly in the Everything Else forum but will from now on abide by the no youtube policy.

41 minutes ago, Lokust Sun said:

torrenting Rick and Morty

I like streaming sites because it's a pretty nice loophole. Basically, the website gives you multiple links to one episode, so they're not actually hosting anything on the website itself. Those links go to places like gorilla vid etc etc. Sure, streaming the episode is technically still downloading it, but not in the same way you would when you torrent it. 

Also YouTube is not consistent and their algorithm sucks. They will flag something completely innocent yet let YouTube Kids run amok with weird shit. YT is a business and businesses won't bend until they actually start losing money from it, like when advertisers began pulling out because of the aforementioned Elsagate stuff. It's all about money, so if no one is issuing a copyright violation or they aren't losing money, then it's gucci but again...there's more factors, and YT is not consistent at ALL.

7 hours ago, Linguica said:

Listening to individual songs has a different moral calculus from most forms of warez because we hear songs without paying for them all the time, be it from people around us or from listening to the radio or whatever.

Well said.

8 hours ago, Pegg said:

A lot of thing I've heard didn't sound edited. I do know there are some who have reverb and stuff, but I can find stuff without reverb. I know TV shows and movies on Youtube end up showing like 60% of the screen to get away with things.