Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OPIJ

Question about using mod resources

Hello I am wondering how to handle the credit situation of using another mods resources in my own. I'm no stranger to modding but this is the first time I've decided to actually invest some time into a particular mod that I'm building. I've seen many mods use the same resources for their own purposes like the Imp variants or the brutal doom weapon sprites; so I'm curious on how I should give proper credit to the various authors of the sprites, sounds, and bits of code I've put together in my mod. So should I list all their names in a credits readme? (I'm really hoping I don't have to because it's quite alot) Or should I just state that none of the sprites or sounds are creations of my own and leave it at that? I'm really not sure what to do here and would appreciate some clarity on the situation.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, OPIJ said:

So should I list all their names in a credits readme? (I'm really hoping I don't have to because it's quite alot)

Yes.

It's worth adding that in addition to simply being good practice to credit other people's work, in years to come people will be playing your WAD and think "I love these sprites, where are they from?" and will be able to simply look in your Readme file to see.  If you don't include them, who actually made the content could be lost to the mists of time.

Remember you could be making something people will be playing in decades time, so being accurate and thorough with all your sources will make all future mappers and modders much happier!

Hmm that's an interesting viewpoint and one that I have not thought of, thank you for showing me it I will double the effort then to be as thorough as I can about the credits list 

6 minutes ago, OPIJ said:

Hmm that's an interesting viewpoint and one that I have not thought of,

It's actually the primary reason why giving proper credit is seen as something that should be done. It's not like there are any rules just for the sake of there being rules.

huh thats good to know im quite new to actually contributing to the modding community so all this stuff is new to me. but i am pretty exited to really begin mod creation  

The source mods you're using should have credits, so maybe that'll make your task of providing credit an easy one. Good to have you modding! Enjoy!

Thanks! I'm learning a lot and your right there usually is a credits text file in the source of the many mods I'm pulling resources from and so far it's been a pretty fun experience.