Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

FPS monster that fit Doom

What monsters from other first person shooter games do you think would fit Doom by giving more unique combat encounters and or enrich the Doom bestiary by filling holes in it?

The hovering droids from Dark Forces would be a good addition to the tech base maps, and their fast lasers would provide a solid middle ground between standard projectiles and hitscanners.

Quake's Fiends would finally give Doom its first jumping monsters. No more safe sniping from high-up ledges.

And for all its Alien influence, might as well add the Xenomorphs. Enemies that hurt you back if you shoot them too close would be all the more reason to avoid tight corridors and other close combat.

It would also be cool if they could scale all the architecture in a level, but I remember once asking Joel Murdoch if he could code me small Arachnotrons that would climb walls. I've never heard the man laugh so hard in 15 years.

9 minutes ago, Lüt said:

It would also be cool if they could scale all the architecture in a level, but I remember once asking Joel Murdoch if he could code me small Arachnotrons that would climb walls. I've never heard the man laugh so hard in 15 years.

Maybe now it's possible with Zscript

2 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Protector Drones from Duke 3D Lethally fast and unique ranged attack.

I HATED those pieces of shit in Duke Nukem. Uggh. But your idea is so nefarious, I had to give it a like. 

6 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Those things can literally go die. Hate them so much.

Just now, Empyre said:

The hell knight is a monster not from Doom (from Doom 2) that fits in Doom.

Hey no cheating! ;P
Here's my list of good monsters for Doom

Heretic:

Gargoyle (For when you want to use hordes of weak flying enemies)
Undead Warrior (For when putting 2 imps just isn't good enough)
Ophidian (For when the Arachnotron isn't right for the job) 
Disciple of D'sparil (For when you want to use scary but weak Cacodemons)
Iron lich (REMOVE BARONS)

Hexen:
Afrit (For when you want swarms of weak projectile enemies)
Bishop (For when you want to use flying Arachnotrons)
Wendigo (I dunno it's just a cool enemy,It's basicaly a projectile shotgunner when the player is up against the wall)

The Strife acolytes are as healthy as changunners but are slower and only fire three bullets per attack. Would make a nice enemy somewhere between the SS trooper and chaingunner.

I'm not sure if there's a specific enemy for this, but I always thought Doom fights could be livened up by a monster that has a very dangerous attack, but that has a long build-up and can be easily interrupted with a high pain-chance.  

Stick a bunch of them in a room, and the player would have to bounce their fire across all of them trying to stop the attacks from triggering.  Kind of like spinning plates.

26 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I'm not sure if there's a specific enemy for this, but I always thought Doom fights could be livened up by a monster that has a very dangerous attack, but that has a long build-up and can be easily interrupted with a high pain-chance.  

Stick a bunch of them in a room, and the player would have to bounce their fire across all of them trying to stop the attacks from triggering.  Kind of like spinning plates.

Archviles, just sans the pain thing. I think some kind of zombie with a BFG-9000 and a longer charge time would fit that perfectly though.

I always thought a small enemy like the scorpions in Powerslave would be a welcome addition. Something that doesn't do much damage, doesn't take much punishment, can't attack beyond melee range, but would be good cannon fodder for very early on in a map's progression (assuming a pistol start), and could overcome its individual shortcomings with a decently-sized swarm coming at you from multiple angles. Now, obviously scorpions probably wouldn't fit into the bestiary very well, but I'm more after the gameplay niche it'd fill here than the literal design of the enemy. Really, several FPSes have an enemy like this - Powerslave obviously has the scorpions; Half-Life has headcrabs; Halo has the small Flood enemies; heck, I think Doom 3 introduced the Ticks and Trites for this role - but classic Doom doesn't, and it'd be a welcome addition for when you want something low-level to shoot that can't potentially snipe you from afar like a zombieman could (even if zombieman fire admittedly isn't particularly damaging).

Other than that, a jumping enemy for sure. Quake's Fiend is pretty fun to fight - harmless if you can dodge the lunge, but devastatingly powerful should the lunge connect (as it likely would in tight quarters). It's something I feel Doom's bestiary could benefit from, given the only enemy that lunges at you would be the slow and meandering Lost Soul, who you can shoot mid-lunge and render impotent as they fly backwards, stuck in their attack state (at least, until they hit a wall and get shunted back out of it), while the only ground-based enemy that can only do melee attacks is the Pinky Demon, and their attack is so slow as to be practically useless when alone (at least, outside of Nightmare/-fast) - neither the Lost Soul nor the Pinky thus really fill this niche. D2TWID has a pretty good example of a Fiend-like enemy in MAP31; the only hostile enemies there, the Garg aliens, all lunge at you and do a fair bit of damage if it connects. Now, their lunges are a little short on the wind-up time compared to the Fiend, so they can lunge at you repeatedly for a large amount of damage in the same amount of time it'd take for the Fiend to get through one single lunge, but the idea's still roughly the same, so you could study what they did to make the Gargs work, and use that to put the Fiends in wholesale with a bit of tweaking; it'd probably work swell.

I always thought the weird Tesla Nazi things from Return to Castle Wolfenstein would make a good Doom enemy.   Loper ?  (not really sure what they were called)

Also  turrets for all those UAC facilities would be good.  (No movement, same rate of fire as a chaingunner, hp of a Hell Knight seems about right).

Check Aeons of Death mod for Doom 2 (ZDoom) if you guys want to play against enemies from different 90's shooters.

7 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

The Kamikazes from Serious Sam. Luring one into a group of demons and killing them with the splash damage gibbing all of them, awesome

Valiant added these! I thought they were one of the better custom monsters that were tossed in, even.

This may not be FPS monsters, but either the Frost Troll (TES V: Skyrim) or Deathclaw (Fallout). Both seem to fit Doom perfectly, especially the Deathclaw.

On 11/29/2017 at 0:43 PM, 94's the best style said:

The Duke 3D TC mod actually has them, their shrink attack even works.