Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Favorite First Person Shooter(s)?

I notice a couple people specifically saying the N64 version of Quake 2, I take it you consider it that much better than the PC version?  From what I've heard, the levels were pretty much completely redesigned such that it can count as a whole different campaign, although the graphics mostly stayed the same unlike Doom 64.

In no particular order:

Doom (64).

Aliens vs Predator 2000.

Half-Life 2.

Quake.

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (to this one also goes the award for the most frustrating, painful, and yet, somehow, still enjoyable title I have ever played and never managed to finish.)

Counter-Strike (GO doesn't count).

Duke Nukem 3D.

Shadow Warrior.

Unreal Tournament.

Left 4 Dead.

The Darkness II.

Painkiller.

Crysis.

Unreal Tournament.

3 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I notice a couple people specifically saying the N64 version of Quake 2, I take it you consider it that much better than the PC version?  From what I've heard, the levels were pretty much completely redesigned such that it can count as a whole different campaign, although the graphics mostly stayed the same unlike Doom 64.

Well I didn't thought so tbh. The original version on Pc was better and more challenging (even if Quake 2 is already easy). They didn't even put the classic awesome OST of the game on the console version as well, which sucks. I didn't notice much change in gfx too, but the game was shorter overvall.

4 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

Well I didn't thought so tbh. The original version on Pc was better and more challenging (even if Quake 2 is already easy). They didn't even put the classic awesome OST of the game on the console version as well, which sucks. I didn't notice much change in gfx too, but the game was shorter overvall.

There's OST on the PlayStation 1 version. That port was more like the PC version.

Zero Tolerance and Bloodshot from Sega Megadrive! Also the very first Quake and Wolf3D. The classic Doom for sure.

Personally, I thought Bioshock 2 was underrated. Sure, it's a little watered down compared to the first but it still feels overall like a more retro FPS with static health (Unless you have the Fountain of Youth tonic but it's completely optional) and no restrictions on the amount of weapons. It also added an extra element of moral dilemmas, a couple of which were actually a bit tough deciding what to do, one because the guy's such a crooked bastard you want to kill him, and the other because he wanted death when he was still sane but his current self obviously wants to live.

11 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Zero Tolerance and Bloodshot from Sega Megadrive!

I definitely want to get hold of these some time, but was Bloodshot a Europe-only release?  The one place I see selling a Genesis version smells of repro carts to me.  Meanwhile the alternate title of Battle Frenzy seems like it might have been for a Sega CD version rather than a different region?

22 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I definitely want to get hold of these some time, but was Bloodshot a Europe-only release?  The one place I see selling a Genesis version smells of repro carts to me.  Meanwhile the alternate title of Battle Frenzy seems like it might have been for a Sega CD version rather than a different region?

A North American release was planned, and reviewed in gaming magazines, but was not released.

Also I played Bloodshot deathmatch and co-op with friends on split-screen(!) even before Doom.

In order of year:

Wolfenstein 3D

Spear of Destiny

Doom

Doom II: Hell on Earth (namely, everything it brought and PWADs pertaining to it, not so much the IWAD levels)
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Quake
*Doom 64 (somehow I forgot this)
Blood
Unreal
Half-Life 2
F.E.A.R.

Edited by cyan0s1s

On 12/17/2017 at 0:57 AM, MetroidJunkie said:

Personally, I thought Bioshock 2 was underrated. Sure, it's a little watered down compared to the first 

Nah I think it is the opposite. The gameplay is so much faster,varied and more fun that it ruins bio 1 and infinite if you try to replay the series (Especially infinite; those stupid weapons shoot crayons or something). 

Aside from Doom and the sequel, Quake, Hexen and it's sequel, Heretic, D64, Hacx, Strife, Freedoom, Wolfenstein 3D, RTCW, Duke3D, Shadow Warrior '97, Blood and the sequel(only with Extra Crispy mod, otherwise it's bad), Powerslave aka Exhumed, Serious Sam, Half-Life, Painkiller, Redneck Rampage, Kingpin, SiN, CS:CZ along with the SP-only CZ DS and Dishonored(gotten to like it, requires patience).

(Not counting Doom-engine games)

Unreal, Thief: The Dark Project, System Shock 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Dishonored, Prey (the recent Arkane one, not the 2006 one).

Favorites? Also excepting Doom stuff, there's Unreal, Serious Sam TSE (TFE is great but I feel I lean to TSE more), pretty much every quake, rtcw, and...

I need to play more FPS games.