Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Underated Wads.

What do you think are some underated wads/hidden gems of the Doom modding community?

It can happened because wad authors did not promote their wads. The best way to tell people about your project is creating a thread on Doomworld, ZDoom forum or other known Doom site, adding some description and screenshots, then see reviews and uploading to IDgames archive. And before this post screenshots in the "what are you working on" thread.

5 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

It can happened because wad authors did not promote their wads. The best way to tell people about your project is creating a thread on Doomworld, ZDoom forum or other known Doom site, adding some description and screenshots, then see reviews and uploading to IDgames archive. And before this post screenshots in the "what are you working on" thread.

Nice post but I am asking for wads you think are underrated or unknown :)

21 hours ago, riderr3 said:

Better late than never, but here are mine from the mid 90s (even uploaded them to ftp.cdrom.com [remember that old schoolers?]): http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/files/doom2/j2doom/j2doom.html

On 12/16/2017 at 7:10 AM, riderr3 said:

It can happen in spite of all this (especially if idgames doesn't work for shit when you try to upload).

@ant is there a download for the jungle map somewhere? I used to have that one.

I feel that Doom II Reloaded is pretty underrated, since I hardly ever hear about that one despite being a megawad made by a single author. Andy Stewart did an amazing job of capturing a more realistic, "Hell on Earth" depiction while remaining Doomy in all aspects. It also has some of the better hell maps I've ever played in a megawad and a highly complicated super secret level (which may not fit everyone's taste but I found it fascinating).

Also I have to back up The Beginning of The End (see Xaser's link) along with its sequel in Part II. Both are for the original Doom and are worth checking out for being unconventional and creatively interesting and difficult at times.

Recently I played The Devilz Work by Doomkid and I have to say I really should have played some of his maps sooner; they have that fast, fun Doomy feeling nicely captured in vanilla simplicity and making good use with a few somewhat new sounds. I really like the pistol/chaingun sound replacement in this one and may have to use it myself one day...I'm looking forward to trying out Sinister Seven also by Doomkid!

Back To Thunder Road is really great and I think more people need to check this one out - has some rather interesting music choices from the Sega Genesis and works as a great example of strength of atmosphere through simplicity. Another unconventional set worth looking into.

I've yet to play in single-player Baker's Dozen by Eternal, but I did play it over Thursday Night Survival and had a blast. Really great quality mapset with a great atmosphere and good, epic structures. Definitely worth a look.

Edited by valkiriforce

On 12/16/2017 at 4:06 PM, taufan99 said:

IMO Silent Zorah's QuakeStyle and its derivatives (https://zorasoft.net/doom.html) are so criminally underrated. It's a pretty decent gameplay mod if you ask me.

His Doomzone mod is pretty damn great as well. The classes all feel great to play no matter which one you play as. There's even Doomguy, Quakeguy/Slipgater, Point Man, and a Samurai/Lo Wang class. <3

I can mention this short, but unusual megawad by Sverre Kvernmo (one of the Master Levels and Eternal Doom authors)

On 12/17/2017 at 10:22 AM, Impie said:

@ant is there a download for the jungle map somewhere? I used to have that one.

There are download links in my link. ;)

I always thought Solace Dreams didn't get enough attention here on DW. It's a staggeringly extensive TC for one person to work on, and features some level design and scripting effects I've never seen before or since in any Doom mod.

But I think because the gameplay is so different to Doom (being a slow, survival-horror boss-rush) it just didn't really appeal to many people here, and it ended up having its technical achievements somewhat overlooked.

Edited by Bauul

4 hours ago, ant said:

There are download links in my link. ;)

FOUND IT! I thought it was a mirror for a source port i guess.