Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghost-Cat-Sarah

Any music genres you prefer?

Just want to share stuff about my music taste for a bit, i mostly listen to music from genres like Rock or Electro Swing nowadays. 

is there any genres you people would recommend?

I usually listen to extreme metal, classical music, 80s pop and rap. There's really only a very small number of musical genres that I dislike, and I make an effort to always try to find positive things in all genres of music. I'd suggest keeping an open mind about trying new things in general. It's never a bad thing to get away from one's comfort zones.

Edited by Ajora

having listened to vaporwave extensively for an extended period of time i can tell you that i am unfortunately still alive but that's okay because if my liking it upsets you that much it makes life worth living

[edit] lmao oh christ you're 15 no wonder you're like this lollll

Edited by dethtoll

29 minutes ago, dethtoll said:

having listened to vaporwave extensively for an extended period of time i can tell you that i am unfortunately still alive but that's okay because if my liking it upsets you that much it makes life worth living

[edit] lmao oh christ you're 15 no wonder you're like this lollll

I actually don't mind vaporwave, it's just that I see it everywhere and i'm really bothered by it. 

I don't get vaporwave. Like, people seem to simultaneously enjoy it ironically as well as sincerely? The music itself sounds fine, but I don't see how there's anything incredible about it, or how it's something so bad that it can be appreciated ironically (like Cory in the House). Why does this video have over seven million views? I'm legit confused.

Nowadays, I tend to listen to Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal, and on other days I enjoy dubstep or generally electrosongs and somedays also jazz.

I mostly listen metal and synthwawe. I have days when I only listen to industrial metal and I have days when I listen not so famous synthwawe artists. 

Well, Wiki says it's vaporwave, and all the commentators in the Simpsonwave videos keep saying the music is vaporwave. *shrug*

According to everynoise (cool site btw. Great for finding new artists.),  most of the stuff I listen to falls under tracestep or catstep, whatever the hell those are.

I also love my complextro and electro swing.

23 minutes ago, Ghost-Cat-Sarah said:

I actually don't mind vaporwave, it's just that I see it everywhere and i'm really bothered by it. 

way to backpedal

15 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I don't get vaporwave. Like, people seem to simultaneously enjoy it ironically as well as sincerely? The music itself sounds fine, but I don't see how there's anything incredible about it, or how it's something so bad that it can be appreciated ironically (like Cory in the House). Why does this video have over seven million views? I'm legit confused.

Heh, you linked the mix that got me into vaporwave, ironically enough. Also gunsmith is wrong -- it's absolutely vaporwave. All Simpsonwave really is is just vaporwave mixes on Youtube with heavily edited Simpsons clips instead of the kind of abstract weirdness you'd find on a 90s textbook cover. That abstract weirdness was part of the early wave of vaporwave in which visuals, referred to as "aesthetic" were an essential part of the experience, but more recently using clips from animation has been de rigueur among vaporwave artists and mixers, chief among them Neotic.

It's hard to really explain what makes vaporwave special, especially as the genre has matured and diversified and the emphasis on aesthetic has fallen by the wayside. The best I can say is, stripped of all deliberate evocation of nostalgia for an age that never really existed, vaporwave is bittersweet music that defies traditional methods of composition, being extremely heavily sample based. In terms of actual genre conventions and overall sound it shares some overlap with trip-hop and similar genres as well as synthwave (HOME for example is a synthwave act that winds up in a lot of vaporwave playlists, and not without reason) but sits at a sort of central point between genres, borrowing heavily from each to become its own thing.

People commenting on these songs either seem to be in some sort of nostalgic, euphoric trance, or just really melancholic. I find that interesting. 

I'm a huge progressive metal nerd (like Dream Theater).

I also love progressive death metal (Opeth), power metal (Dragonforce, Lost Horizon), art/prog rock (Tool), videogame music, and also a lot of synthwave.

I cannot fucking stand rap, pop, hip-hop. I can stand country but it's not on my top genre list. If you play rap in my vicinity, we're done.

Hmm, Heres a list: 

-Alternative Rock (White stripes, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.)

-Some Alternative indie (Gorillaz for example)

-Grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc.)

-Progressive Rock (Rush, Yes, Genesis, etc.)

-Hip-hop/rap (House of Pain is great, Jurassic 5 is cool too)

-Classic Rock/Rock (Guns N Roses, Men at Work, and a few others)

-Electronica (Fuck Yeah! Sonic Mayhem included, linkin park as well in some of their earlier work

-Some Alternative Pop (At the moment, only what comes on the radio and I find to sound good)

-Synthwave (Love Com Truise, Powerglove and a few others)

-Christmas music (Only on the holidays, Love Paul McCartneys song "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time")

-Some Video Game Soundtracks (Half life 2, Doom 4, Doom I & II, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, few others)

-Vaporwave (Sounds nice, though can get very repetitive and low quality when done really bad)

-Ambient tracks arn't bad, I mean look at Quake 1 and PSX Doom's OST

-??? What else..

Dislike:

-A lot of Pop music (The beat and other instruments arn't varied and interesting, lyrics and singers are cool at times but it isn't something id search up on youtube to listen too)

-Modern rap (TO be exact, soundcloud with really shitty beats and all about flexing, nothing interesting at all!)

-Country! Sorry to those who like it, but I simply cannot stand country.. yee haw lets go geet em biskuts right gurl? (I know its nothing like that, but its one of many images that pop into my head uncomfortably)

-Uhhhh Dubstep, Just too many beats and weird hype beasts noises and shit, its awful to listen too to focus and paired with some annoying high pitch voices (Sorry Dubstep fans, no disrespect to you, this is just my 2 cents on the genre)

-Death metal, I'm ok with talking about death n shit n all that jazz, but a big howling voice just doesn't do it for me. (REEEEEEEUGHHHHHHHHHHH)

-Dunno what else

funk and industrial and the side of prog rock which is really dark and groovy are my usual faves really. industrial can be the discomfiting noise storytelling the original label meant or EN's rhythmic adaption and I'm cool with it. the prog I want sounds like Magma or Henry Cow or King Crimson after they get over their symphonic superstar era. parliament-funkadelic were the best music collective in the whole world

I also like Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie

I listen to a lot of metal (almost all subgenres included, with the exceptions of extreme and nu metal) and electronic music of various styles (some of my favorites being psytrance and synthwave). I'm pretty much an omnivore when it comes to music, though - no matter the genre, I appreciate any and all music that exists.

Disco :D!!!

Also music the group And One makes :) (what genre is that?I have no idea)

Also my opinion on the vaporwave debate:

I believe that vaporwave is a genre that grabs fans by being nostalgic. Most of the song have those "80s mix" titles and have those "greko-roman pillar,hot pink,old PCs,tropical stuff in the backround" which people tend to assosiate with the 80s.Since the 80s-90s nostalgia trends started having a smaller impact on people since now late 90s-early 00s nostalgia is the shit people don't understand it but many still love it.

I don't know about genres but the artists that I continuously go back to these days are (in no particular order):

1. Chelsea Wolfe (Gothic Rock?)

2. Nine Inch Nails (Industrial Rock)

3. Sidewalks and Skeletons ("Witchhouse"?)

4. Crystal Castles ("Witchhouse"?)

5. $uicideboy$ (Memphis & Punk influenced Hip-Hop)

6. Low Roar (Alternative?)

7. Stepdad (Electropop?)

8. Bring Me The Horizon (Alternative Metal?)

9. Joji (Lo-fi Hip-Hop?)

10. Ho99o9 (Goes back and forth between Punk and Aggressive Militant Hip-Hop)

11. M83 (Electropop?) 

12. Smashing Pumpkins (IDSPISPOPD)

13. The Black Dahlia Murder (Metal)

14. System of a Down (Alt Metal?)

15. Dir En Grey (Japanese Alt Metal)

16. Mindless Self Indulgence (Honestly, they're all over the fucking place)

17. Mushroomhead (Alt Metal)

18. Slipknot (Alt Metal)

19. The Birthday Massacre (Alt Rock?)

20. Perturbator (Retrowave)

So, a mixture of things. I guess I tend to gravitate towards aggressive or melancholic things.

Film music, especially stuff by Thomas Newman, John Williams, Ennio Morricone and John Barry.  A fair amount of classical music, a narrower range of "popular" music (notably Radiohead), and I also like ambient music if there's a fair amount of subtle musical content in it.

I'm the oddball. My favorite songs are classic rock from the 70's. I also listen to a lot of old-school R&R, R&B, gospel, as well as a bit of classical and folk music. There are a few songs in my playlist which might classify as electronic or dubstep, but I generally don't care for those genres. I also don't care for metal.

What am I doing on Doomworld??

I like a vast range of things these days.  I used to stick to just metal, industrial and goth, but things branched out to stuff like IDM, ambient, experimental, retrowave, hardcore...

@CARRiON Good taste in bands.  We share a few similar favorites.

According to Spotify, my most listened to artist of the year is lovely Scottish blues-rock singer Amy MacDonald. No regrets, she's amazing.

But ordinarily it's the usual suspects: a variety of metal genres, some electronic genres, video game soundtracks etc.

So in other words what it seems almost everyone else here listens to. My god, I'm a basic Doom bitch!