Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

Which features would you like to see in GZDoom?

Hm, well, not features, for now I'm satisfied with what it offers and what I'm doing.

However, the options menus as seen in Doom 2 for instance could really use a rework of some sort, that's something I'd like to see. There's just so many options and not all of them are self-explanatory, allowing you to mess with them until something breaks.

Basically every feature needed for a Doom 64 Retribution style port of Sonic Robo Blast 2 that requires engine modification (meaning no .soc or .lua... or native srb2 map support, yes to (for example) ... well, walkable 3d floor polyobjects that can move).

Honestly, i'd like to see survival mode, there are so many great mods for gzdoom that don't work with zandronum. It drives me nuts not being able to lose in coop.

Well, I don't know how to articulate it, but I guess the best way to describe the feature I would like to have would be horizontally split linedefs. Basically, I have a single wall and I could split it in half on the x-axis and have two different textures, one on top of each other.

3 hours ago, scifista42 said:

What does "smooth automap movement" and "separate projectile aiming" mean?

Smooth automap means interpolated automap scrolling like in PrBoom+

Separate projectile aiming means that projectiles can aim separately from a weapon.

e.g a plasma rifle that shoots two projectile at the same time can shoot two projectiles at different enemies.

1 minute ago, Cacodemon345 said:

at the same time can shoot two projectiles at different enemies.

I hope not, that would make the game much easier and maybe even unfair.

That's already possible with both DECORATE and ZScript, is it not? As for smooth automap movement are you sure you're not suffering from a low framerate? Because it's silky smooth my end.

That features is halfway in GZDoom I think...but it only comes close to working properly in OpenGL mode.

24 minutes ago, StalkerZHS said:

Resolution scaling or whatever its called.

This feature exists in Zdaemon (as "Virtual 320x200")

GZDoom does support shaders than can achieve effects like this.  For example, this one for Low Detail Mode.

33 minutes ago, Bauul said:

GZDoom does support shaders than can achieve effects like this.  For example, this one for Low Detail Mode.

Well instead of keeping it as some dumb console command, make it a much more visible thing in the options menu!

15 hours ago, StalkerZHS said:

Well instead of keeping it as some dumb console command, make it a much more visible thing in the options menu!

It's not an official GZDoom feature, it's a shader mod that you have to download manually and therefore would have to find the instructions to even get it.

20 hours ago, Doominer991 said:

Well, I don't know how to articulate it, but I guess the best way to describe the feature I would like to have would be horizontally split linedefs. Basically, I have a single wall and I could split it in half on the x-axis and have two different textures, one on top of each other.

This is actually in vanilla Doom - you just need to make the wall a sector, as thin as you'd like, and make it so that its floor height and ceiling height are equal. Now you've got a wall you can apply two different textures to.

A fix to the excessive culling of subsectors behind you when looking up or down enough to get them into view.

69ca8416963a0225ce1bad06186008e6.png

The above was a pickup message for a custom ammo type, in plain old DECORATE.

I really feel this thread is dead, seems like all that's happening is arbitrary post count boosting. If you legitimately have GZDoom feature requests that you know don't yet exist and would be of use to a larger audience than just yourself, make feature requests on the Feature Suggestions section of the ZDoom forums, where these comments could make a difference instead of being ignored over here on DoomWorld.

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

69ca8416963a0225ce1bad06186008e6.png

The above was a pickup message for a custom ammo type, in plain old DECORATE.

MidPrinted message or not?

MidPrinted means those messages that get on the screen e.g. when you get a secret?

Also, posting these suggestions on the ZDoom forums will be useless, because they will often get ignored.

@Rachael, you could accept those suggestions or not? If so, please tell me which features require a lot of work.

That wasn't 'midprinted' That was a PickupMessage.

fb2b7db4b216710ea750459e345f5857.png

Like more or less every other place you can input text into ZDoom, you can colour it with the \c escaped colour codes - https://zdoom.org/wiki/Print#Colors

In Rachael and the ZDoom team's defence, they already have an unending list of feature requests (of which you've probably re-requested), and were I one of them I would ignore someone who won't take the time to educate themselves on ones that do exist and present their new ideas quite lazily, as you've done here.

9 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Also, posting these suggestions on the ZDoom forums will be useless, because they will often get ignored.

What?