Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What have you learned from other members?

This might be a poorly disguised "thank you" thread, but I thought it would be interesting to share particularly useful advice or techniques that you've learned from your interactions here on the forums. One example that comes to mind: I made a thread about vanilla bridges years ago,

...And to this day it's still occasionally updated when I have an issue. It's really nice to not have that get locked for resurrecting it repeatedly, because I think it's a very useful thread.

Also, recently when @RjY reviewed my first map, it was pointed out that I had a bunch of sections connected by meandering, boring hallways, and realized that the next five maps in this series (all tributes to E1) all had this issue. Now I'm working to create more expansive environments to fill out these hallways and make them more engaging to travel through. This has had an major impact on the flow and structure of the overall experience.

Picked up some basic Decorate skillz from working with NoisyVelvet on the new monsters for Echelon/Plasmaplant (the "Clusterfiend" used as my avatar, for instance). I'll never be a programmer, but can now at least change some values to tweak new monster designs. =)

its too hard to be specific. I was a retard when I first started mapping but looking at peoples maps in an editor and staring at screenshots trying to recreate scenes I saw has made me into this huge mashup of a mapper that collected ideas and inspiration from countless sources. I've picked up a little of something from pretty much any mapper I've ever seen.

I've personally never forgotten any advice or piece of feedback given to me from other mappers and use it all every time I'm in a map editor.

i generally teach myself everything by headbutting it repeatedly and trying every tool I can find for the purpose... but I definitely picked up the sawtooth-line monster teleporters from a doomworlder, my old ambushes took years to all file out and I probably opened a joshy map in desperation