Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Doom trick to finish Halls of the Dammned in record time.

This is once cool trick, just watch the start of this video. I never managed to press the exit switch when I did this. Anyone wanna record an lmp?

First ever posting of this trick.

22 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Has anyone ever explained how to actually press that damn switch? I just can't do it.

Turns out that pressing the exit switch actually requires you to do a Zero Press™ but no one ever really realized it because it seemed so obvious that you were just sort of pressing the switch normally.

Has anybody figured out the exact mechanics of said press yet? Hard to write an article about it when the best you can do is "press vaguely around the vertex of a switch linedef until it works" :P

44 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Has anybody figured out the exact mechanics of said press yet? Hard to write an article about it when the best you can do is "press vaguely around the vertex of a switch linedef until it works" :P

Yes. Basically, because of rounding errors, when the engine projects a line out from the player to check if it hits any usable linedefs within range, if the linedef and the use line are almost parallel and almost in the same, uh, line, the engine will think that the use line "crosses" the switch line at a closer distance than it actually does, and if you get in the right position, will therefore be in range / not be blocked by anything in front of it.

This whole thread seems like something from a parallel universe. I'll just address the most important points.

Pressing this exit switch was understood long ago. People weren't just stabbing at it as if it were a normal switch from the side (like the ancient e3m6). At least, those who were, were failing (because the walls eat the presses, so you need not to be pressing through them). Cack_handed understood that you were pressing the very end vertex of the exit switch, that you were pressing it wholly end-on, and that the mechanics of it were very much like those for a glide, with perfect positioning essential. If you want to name this after anyone, then it should be cack_handed. As it is, this particular trick doesn't have a name. Creaphis was perhaps the first to understand what was going on at a detailed level (for the related 32-unit glides too). I also demonstrated that this idea could be used in another contexts, such as this, where the player is not in the void, but needs to press the exit switch end-on, since the wall linedefs are also of a type that would "eat" presses from an angle.

Zero_Master's new insight (and a huge one) was that these switch tricks could also be done when there was a gap between the point you are pressing and the switch. That is, you still need to be perfectly end-on, but you don't need to be in contact with the switch linedef. This also increases the range for presses where "eating" is not a problem but distance would be if you were pressing from an angle.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this without any background in these tricks: two basic points were understood in the mid-1990s: that height differences don't matter, and that you could often press switches through walls. This discussion is about more recent discoveries (c. 2010 and 2017 respectively).

Grazza I assure you that the E2M6 exit switch press from the void is, algorithmically, identical to the phenomenon later expanded upon with the more generalized zero press discovery. There is no way to activate a vertex, obviously, and there is no way to press a switch “through” a 1S linedef - the engine always short-circuits the check when it reaches a 1S linedef. This should make it literally impossible to exit E2M6 from the void. However because of the rounding error that makes the engine sometimes detect a line as being closer than it really is, the engine will detect point of intersection with the exit switch as being, like, 12 units away (i.e. inside the player) instead of 16.0001 units away (i.e. just on the other side of the 1S wall in front of it). The root cause of this phenomenon was only thoroughly researched when ZM found the Map15 skip. 

14 hours ago, Linguica said:

The root cause of this phenomenon was only thoroughly researched when ZM found the Map15 skip. 

When 4shockblast found the plutonia skip, that's when this phenomenon exploded to be exact :D