Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_42_

I'm impressed!

I recall a review in a Finnish gaming magazine from back in the day in which the game was advertised as being over 10 hours long. For a first playthrough, maybe - but once you play it enough times to know it like the back of your hand, you can easily finish the game in about 6 hours. If not even less than that.

It depends on how you play, of course.

I'm on my 5th or 6th playthrough and I still like to go slow, take in the environments, read the stories, and stay watchful for encounters. When I get into a fight I'll play like any other Doom game, throwing myself into the thick of it, getting into fist fights with revenants/commandos, etc. But outside of that there's a lot to enjoy and I get the sense that your typical Doom fan is too much of a mechanical player to realize it.

I've taken a look at some longplays on Youtube and found the players running past a lot of intriguing details without a single thought towards them.

On 12/16/2017 at 6:48 AM, MFG38 said:

... the game was advertised as being over 10 hours long. For a first playthrough, maybe - but once you play it enough times to know it like the back of your hand, you can easily finish the game in about 6 hours. If not even less than that.

Yeah, I looked at all the saves and the total time was about 12 hours long. I think that it was the Hell section that was too short.

Damn, It took me like 12 hours to finish it for the first time, and it feel a loooot longer, maybe the spooky factor made feel shit.

Wow you guys sure are slow when playing!! 12 + hours? Talk about amateur hour. I finished DOOM 3 in a certain amount of time. 

Pretty sure I clocked around 20 hours playing thoroughly through Doom 3. It has a rather long campaign compared to the average FPS. i.e. Half-Life 2 takes me around 8 hours.

11 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Pretty sure I clocked around 20 hours playing thoroughly through Doom 3.

20 hours?

I can understand 12 hours, but 20...

HOW?!

I dunno. Reading all the PDAs/emails and trying to find all the secret areas maybe. Probably worth replaying to see if it still takes me that long. 

On 16.12.2017 at 5:35 AM, _42_ said:

I could have sworn that Doom 3 would be longer. I guess I was wrong.

You have reminded to me an old situation happened in 2004 or 2005, I suppose.

Well, the piracy in my country at early 2000s was extremely huge. And I remember that I saw in supermarket the Doom 3 DVD box. And...well, it somehow consist of 7 DVD disks.

Well, I thought "Damn, this game must be the freaking huge, like ~150 hours of gameplay!".

LoL. I don't know why exactly this pirate-box included 7 disks (I didn't bought it). Maybe due to shit-mods (and shit-levels, I don't believe that in so early times after the release there were so many cool maps to play). Or maybe those 7 disks somehow had small capacity.

Doom 3 is an atmospheric, slower-paced game. If you want to speedrun it and blast through dudes, that's cool, but there's nothing wrong with playing it slowly. Same with classic Doom. If you want to carefully Chaingun-tap dudes, more power to you.