Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

Final Doom The Way id Did

I'm going to remake the OP with the map links in like a GoogleDoc or something way more manageable than just the first post FYI. So if you don't see a link there don't worry. I grab everything I see posted in the thread.

On 8/6/2015 at 8:05 PM, Senile Samurai said:

Can anyone please check my map out please. I would to improve on it further by adding a red key area on it if necessary.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0cmp5nj0hc67j1b/map15.wad

I have tested this one, on Chocolate Doom. There are certain steps which suffer from tutti frutti and both health / armor are extremely scarce. Also, it is extremely trivial to find the secret exit. The path to the secret exit offers little to no challenge and, in my opinion, this path should be replaced with a more interesting, appealing and challenging one.

On 7/28/2017 at 3:57 AM, Litrivin said:

I have tested this one, on Chocolate Doom. There are certain steps which suffer from tutti frutti and both health / armor are extremely scarce. Also, it is extremely trivial to find the secret exit. The path to the secret exit offers little to no challenge and, in my opinion, this path should be replaced with a more interesting, appealing and challenging one.

Sure, I think it's possible. I think when I did that 2 years ago, I was remembering how easy it was to find the secret in TNT. Also, how can I avoid tutti frutti?

1 hour ago, Senile Samurai said:

Also, how can I avoid tutti frutti?

By un-lowering the texture you used, or just make the texture you used at the 0.0 offsets...

On 20/2/2014 at 10:07 AM, Jimmy said:

Hypocaust - André Arsenault style.
Hell Hath Fury - Jimmy Sieben style.

Hypocaust exhibits certain little zones which could induce visplane overflows, according to Visplane Explorer. They are in the northern part of sector #26.

Hell Hath Fury has drawseg overflows in the very starting zone (sector #214); and visplane overflows which will crash Chocolate Doom in the balcony which contains one red skull key (sector #136).

On 11/9/2015 at 5:40 AM, Soundblock said:

What resource WAD is required in order to run these maps? It seems both maps use custom flats and patches, not only tnt.wad resources (there are lots of HOMs when they are loaded, with tnt.wad as IWAD). As last resource, I guess these maps could be retextured to use only tnt.wad resources.

2 hours ago, Litrivin said:

What resource WAD is required in order to run these maps? It seems both maps use custom flats and patches, not only tnt.wad resources (there are lots of HOMs when they are loaded, with tnt.wad as IWAD). As last resource, I guess these maps could be retextured to use only tnt.wad resources.

They were made for TNT: Revilution, so probably check that for the resources.

Solved mystery, I confirm that using tntr.wad as first additional PWAD did the trick. Well, at least they are playable à la Master Levels (never better said).

Well, they have certain obvious zdoomisms (The Pitchfork), zero-length reject lumps (both maps) and tutti-frutti artifacts (both maps). Just at the very start, The Pitchfork has platforms with chaingunners and one revenant which won’t lower. The latter because it uses some linedef specific of ZDoom ports, the former has to do with z-clippings of these chaingunners (with -nomonsters these platforms will lower in vanilla / PrBoom+ with -complevel 4). Moreover both maps have resources from tntr.wad, which grants permissions to reuse its resources, and these resources overwrite the ones from tnt.wad such as certain door textures. Therefore, these maps don’t seem effortlessly salvageable at first sight. Perhaps, for a hypothetical MLTWiD project.

On 6/29/2014 at 7:57 AM, Marcaek said:

MAP20 In the style of Dean Johnson.

Good map, I have liked it. It’s large and long and focuses on atmosphere and exploration. Also, on ammo management, because one will run out of ammo easily just for exploring the map in the wrong order. Now, the feedback. I cannot post a demo because I cannot complete safely, without saves, this map while getting 100% / 100% / 100% at the tally screen.

There are drawseg overflows. For example, they are noticeable if one takes a peek from sector #86.

The initial regular shotgun should be replaced with a super shotgun (the player will get anyway a regular shotgun from any dead shotgun zombie). There are many mid-tiers (including three arch-viles and that ambush by two revenants), and dealing with mid-tiers at close range with just a regular shotgun isn’t my concept of fun.

Lava and slime should inflict only 10% damage/s and 5% damage/s, respectively. 20% damage/s seems excessive and overkill for zones which will be visited by one player interested in getting all the goods. And that hidden catwalk (sector #15) should offer one radiation suit. Otherwise, the player will have to sacrifice the heavy armour, some medikits and one soulsphere just to be able to get the backpack, some extra ammo and barely survive this onslaught.

The big catwalk has two non-functional teleporter pads (sectors #45 and #128), without tags.

There is one fast and narrow door with a pegging error on the door track (linedef #1419).

It is possible that the player gets trapped in these two lifts with imps (sectors #136 and #139), because they aren’t lowerable from inside. Also, there is one corner, between vertices #110 and #356, which can trap the player.

There are two demons of one monster cache which won’t be released, things #110 and #293.

One berserker pack to replace one of these medikits would be interesting.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but shouldn't the title (or rather, titles) be:

TNT the Way TeamTNT Should've Done

and

Plutonia the Way the Casalis Did

?

32 minutes ago, Poncho said:

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but shouldn't the title (or rather, titles) be:

TNT the Way TeamTNT Should've Done

and

Plutonia the Way the Casalis Did

?

doesn't roll off the tongue as well

Leaving aside the bikeshed, I would like to report that @RottKing’s tntrott-fissure.wad has one deaf and blind chaingunner, who does nothing at all unless the player shoots him. Thing #75.

Edit: @A.Gamma’s machinenocyb.wad is not completable. Player will be inexorably trapped after taking the teleporter to the last fight, that is, a softlock. Also, there are two suspended arch-viles which won’t attack the player, they are completely deaf and blind. If the player shoots them, they do react and remain active, without ever attacking the player.

Edited by Litrivin

First off, your map has a bug in the room with the telefragged demon. Pressing use on the lift texture doesn't open it, causing the player to be stuck. Second, limits are broken in some detailed rooms, resulting in HOMs. Despite this, I still think this map has some potential as it feels authentically 90's.

@DukeOfDoom I just played Injustice, uhBooh mentioned the biggest problems, first is getting trapped in the telefrag "room". user triggered linedefs can just not work when placed to close to other actioned linedef. My suggestion would be putting a switch inside the "room" to open the "door" keeping the functionality without having to change the structure of your map. Second, the garage and computer room break seg limits, make sure you test using a port that can do vanilla limits, Chocolate Doom would probably be best.

I enjoyed the map, and definitely feels like a TNT map would. I'd say it would have to be an episode 2 map, and not an episode 1, the two arch-viles at the end being the biggest reason.

@RottKing I realise you made the map 4 years ago, but having made a Drake O'Brien map myself, I thought I'd take a look at Fissure. Overall I liked it and felt it did a good job at mimicking Drake O'Brien's style. One big criticism. The SSG is found a fair bit into the map, but in all three of Drake O'brien's maps the SSG is within the player's view upon starting the level.

I resumed work on my map for this project, I have most of it in my head with lot of cool ideas. Here is screenshot of progress:

I am testing the map in chocolate doom and I found weird tuttifruti bug, the texture is 16high32wide, but it is used on steps with 5units height. why does the bug still happen? is it because it steps are too wide? I think they are 360units wide.

That picsjpg.jpg

11 hours ago, Sokoro said:

I am testing the map in chocolate doom and I found weird tuttifruti bug, the texture is 16high32wide, but it is used on steps with 5units height. why does the bug still happen?

Check the alignment of the texture. A vertical alignment on such a texture can cause that to happen.

If it has a vertical alignment, try zeroing it, that should fix it.

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

If it has a vertical alignment, try zeroing it, that should fix it.

and make sure it isn't lower unpegged either, @Sokoro.

Final Doom the way ID did? Well let's buy another community project the day before it gets released, wait 6 months and sell it. And hope for two brothers with desires of making some bucks to show us their maps, then order them yo make 32 maps in 4 months (lul).

By the way, is this still going on? I would like to make some maps and submit them if there still is an open door for them.

The project is on hiatus at the moment, but will return at a later point in time once some other projects are finished off.

You can still submit something. The members who are in charge of this project just aren't focused on it currently, so they may not look at the submissions any time soon.

Indeed, there's no guarantee you'll get useful feedback for the next few months at least. You can still submit maps if you want to bother before then.