Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

Project Death (WIP, deadline Dec 10 2023)

I've decided to put together a 'PlusMusic' WAD as an optional download (108mb) that adds both the PSX and Doom 64 soundtracks (originals, not the remastered/anniversary). The PSX music plays in Doom 1 games whereas the D64 music only plays in Doom 2 games. Edited OP and updated the credits to reflect this addition.

I don't usually play gameplay mods these days, but this looks rather intriguing. Might be something todo with me liking PSX doom and the alpha weapons etc.

Played through map 16 of Doom 2 Reloaded, liking the overall atmosphere, the monster variants are interesting except one of the HK's (the metal one) that was a bit harsh.

Wasn't a fan of the rifle, which I was a bit gutted about.

New palette and the lighting made it look very nice and the torch addition was cool.

@RjY Yeah I nearly forgot about Doom+ actually, I wasn't feeling particularly inspired in the naming department, I just thought 'it's an extension of Doom, so ... Doom Plus?'. In the event this mod blows up, even though I realistically expect it to not, seeing as the modding scene is large and fast moving and in order to stand out and last you gotta do something really unique or creative nowadays and the name proves to be confusing, I may re-name it. As-is the mod is feature complete however, I must've updated it hundreds of times before finally putting it to rest, as I didn't wanna subject downloaders to repeated updates for otherwise small changes or additions.

@Liberation Thanks for the feedback! Yeah the Cybruiser can be dangerous, but his cybernetic nature fortunately makes him a target among his not-so-fellow Hell Nobles, seeing as Hell Knights, Barons and Nightmare Barons cannot hurt each other.

The Rifle is the slowest firing bullet weapon, but its perfect accuracy and often doubled damage (1-10 vs. 1-5) makes it reliable against low-tier monsters, saving some shells and even doing away with chaingun tapping, saving you some bullets as well. Of course, it's not a good choice against many enemies at once.

And yeah, I myself am a fan of how the aesthetic turned out, some scenes can be really transformed with the new palette and lighting.

The Cybrusier in my game basically spawned in front of me and kicked my ass badly! Next time I will be more prepared.

Regarding the rifle, I can see what you have done and have no issue with it, Its just down to my tastes as if a game/mod has an rifle (assault etc) then I tend to use it exclusively as I love spraying bullets around, just for fun really. Q4 and d2016 rifle/MGs I love and the assault rifle from brutal doom is probably the best thing in the mod! Hence why I was a bit gutted.

The palette is gorgeous and perhaps you should make a mini episode of maps to include, Perhaps give your mod a bit more staying power if that's your concern.

Anyway keep up the good work!  

I think you should add more weapons to the mod, like i dont know.. This mod gets a pretty good idea for the mod i'd like, maybe re balancing the weapons and adding like some alternative weapons spawns like an Auto shotgun for either the super shotgun or Regular shotgun, Or maybe add like an Elephant gun to balance the shotguns according to accuracy? (A shotgun that is slug based is what I'm saying, Lets say you have the regular doom shotgun which is good for medium range encounters, Super shotgun for super close, and slug shotgun for really far away targets, though NOT for close range!) I mean this is accuracy problem is solved with the Railgun... So maybe make it consume 2-3 shells? It'll make it extra powerful with dead on accuracy at the cost of more shells than the super shotgun. If you wanted your mod to maybe, step up from being just a basic replacer, I think you should add classes to make things more interesting! I love the concept of simplicity here, it just needs some re balancing for the weapons is all!

@Liberation Yeah the randomization aspect of these kind of mods aren't always going to be the most balanced experiences, although I ensured that the new enemies only spawn about 30% of the time, as such it generally favors the base enemies more. I've had some nasty encounters though, such as E4M2 from Doom one time when a Nightmare Baron was blocking me from acquiring the yellow key, who I narrowly somehow got past without dying. This was before he got nerfed, however.

I should probably mention now that the Wolf SS and Keen actors are left unaltered so as to maintain compatibility with more map sets that replace these actors. Also I understand your take on the Rifle, in fact a friend of mine also said he personally thought it should of fired in three round bursts. Lastly I do agree with an episode or something that would compliment this, as what's here is already pretty solid IMHO but a little handcraft at some levels designed with this mod in mind could go a long way!

@UAC-Janitor I thought about a new shotgun or something, but decided I'd stick to the design philosophy of one other variant for every other weapon like the shotgun has the SSG. I know there's three melee weapons on slot 1 including the fist, but technically the Super Chainsaw is the Chainsaw's counterpart, like the Berserk Pack is the upgrade to the player's fist.

Based on feedback from a friend and Liberation, I decided to increase the Rifle's rate of fire so it is more satisfying to use long-term than specific circumstances. It is slightly faster than the Pistol but much less so than the Chaingun and Minigun. The muzzle flash was also improved, and the damage slightly reduced (1-8 instead of 1-10) to balance out the improved rate of fire. It's perfectly accurate still if you tap it, but will lose accuracy when held down.

The Zombieman was modified to now fire in two-round bursts instead of being a very mild harasser/very slow chaingunner type like before, with the damage reduction applied to him so he wouldn't be cheap.

The Minigun's spread was also increased to be less effective at long distances, but in your favor it could be more effective at suppressing more than one enemy if they're right next to each other in close quarters.

The download, along with the manual and credits are updated. Happy Dooming!

Oh that, I could look into it, some of the frames do last quite long tics. The cooldown is just one of the weapon's cons, besides going through ammo very fast.

While I'm at it I should also fix/improve the Psychic Soul's frames. The pain frame is completely wrong, after seeing how it behaves in the Doom Delta mod, and is missing the original pain frames to boot.

I didn't notice the Psychic Soul's pain frames :D

Anyways, lessen the cooldown of the minigun.Wouldn't want to be taken down by a Baron/Cybruiser while attempting to switch weapons,should I find using the wrong weapon.

Alright, I lessened the recovery time on the Minigun, it shouldn't last nearly as long as it did before. The Psychic Soul also has unique pain frames and leaves a corpse when it dies (thankfully, they cannot be resurrected by Arch-viles). Download has been updated!

Eh, I don't want that. The red armor functions like Heretic's best armor, which is 75% damage absorption, in addition to resistances for explosive and fire damage, making it really powerful as it is.

On 12/17/2017 at 2:25 AM, Liberation said:

The Cybrusier in my game basically spawned in front of me and kicked my ass badly!

When I was playing Doom 1 the way id did,in a level I found a Nightmare Cacodemon,

I kept backing and backing,eventually went into a dead end and it also kicked my ass badly.

I had a shotgun at hand,so it took a couple of shots to get rid of it.

Edited by Cacodemon345

Fun fact: those Nightmare monsters were much stronger before. NM Imp was 120 instead of 100, NM Spectre was 300 instead of 250, NM Caco was 700 instead of 500, and the NM Baron was 1500 instead of 1200. Needless to say, they were way too bullet spongy. This was initially early on when I was trying to copy Skulltag's monsters. Usually in a Doom II game it wasn't that big of a deal seeing as you had the SSG. But fighting a NM Caco or Baron in Doom 1 would either be a game ender or cause major difficulty during most circumstances, particularly in custom maps, and soak up way too much ammo.

Yeah.

Edit: I think the stealth ability for spiderdemon should be removed.

ZDoom wiki says it is unfair.

I barely had any health after the spiderdemon fight ended.

Edited by Cacodemon345

@Cacodemon345 Wow, the odds of me checking this thread out of the blue, I didn't see you edited your post.

Well, seeing as how loud the Spiderdemon is as it moves around and how quick it is to reveal itself to attack, it's not really that bad, more to just put you on edge. If you can estimate where it's at by firing in a direction you can reveal it pretty quickly. In Doom II games, it's also certainly much easier to fight in a pinch with the SSG, due to the high amount of pellets and thus higher pain chance inducement, which will give you enough time to either retreat or follow it up with another shot when it isn't in defense/reflection mode. Proper timing of this can be extremely effective at immobilizing the beast. Just better hope you have a BFG 9000 or the Unmaker, and plenty of ammo when you come across it! Infighting will also help out too, if not to weaken it then to take its sights off of you so you can sneak in an attack.

I really don't want to update this mod anymore, as it will just inconvenience those who already downloaded it. As it is, the mod should be tough, but doable by most Doomers' standards. There may be situations that will be much harder than intended of course, but that's the nature of randomizers.

So the download has been updated and the mod has been re-named to Cyan-Doom (originally called Doom Plus) so it stands out a little more (and is not confused with Doom+ which is something else entirely). The brightmaps were replaced with NightFright's improved set (but Revenant100's sprite fixes are not implemented because they caused issues, especially in Doom 1 games) which in effect fixed a minor visual issue with SLADRIP that was seen in Doom 1 games. SpriteShadow was removed for possible performance concerns (and it was also outdated with a known issue of its own) and cosmetic reasons (wasn't feeling it anymore, and may not be up to everyone's tastes). The subtle Pinky demon and Baron of Hell graphics were also removed (not compatible with the new brightmaps anyway). Nevander's Blood Fixer also replaces the old BloodColors.wad inside the PK3. The only actual gameplay change was making the Zombieman fire in 3-round bursts instead of 2-round bursts. Otherwise it shouldn't be too jarring for previous owners of the mod to upgrade to it. Happy Dooming!

I like this moody mod ^^. the one thing I would improve is the auto rifle, it needs a little more animation, I would say give it a subtle recoil like the one in Smooth Doom.

The only downside is none of these weapons are designed around smoother animations, it would be kind of jarring to see a smooth high frame count animated rifle only to see the stock animations of the other weapons.

Hey this is really cool!

I've been interested in seeing something which adds a PSX style lighting effects to the PC Doom maps. How did you achieve this here?

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to see there's still people trying my little mod out almost two years later. It was easy actually, I implemented a GLDEFS lump with info to make whatever flats I wanted to glow.

From the actual file inside the PK3:

Glow
{
Flats
{
CEIL1_2
CEIL1_3
CEIL3_4
CEIL3_6
FLAT17
FLAT2
FLAT22
FLOOR1_7
TLITE6_1
TLITE6_4
TLITE6_5
TLITE6_6
BLOOD1
BLOOD2
BLOOD3
FWATER1
FWATER2
FWATER3
FWATER4
GATE1
GATE2
GATE3
GATE4
LAVA1
LAVA2
LAVA3
LAVA4
NUKAGE1
NUKAGE2
NUKAGE3
SLIME01
SLIME02
SLIME03
SLIME04
SLIME05
SLIME06
SLIME07
SLIME08

}

}

I recently saw someone added the skies to their GLDEFS to make skyboxes cast light around upper walls outside. Pretty genius actually. I've been meaning to revisit this mod and update it some more, even for Dec 10 2018, but I've been a lazy fuck + things were going on at the time.