Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Untamed64

Kate Fox has passed away

How much of Kate's work was published? It seems a lot were WIPs that only passed around friends, it might be nice if some of it could be assembled and released.

One of my all-time favorite doom videos was from Kate:

Heard the name once or twice, but never knew who she was until literally just now.

May she rest in peace.

Ay so I'm fairly new to the doom community so i ain't gonna say I knew her or her work. But from what you guys are saying, she was incredibly chill and nice and a talented mapper. So Yea all condolences go to the family and friends

I don't have any words for this. At least, not to summarize into a couple sentences. I'll spoil it since it's a pretty sensitive topic (and it also mingles a bit with my involvement in the Doom community).

As quite a few people have known, my "relationship" with Kate has been odd at best and downright detrimental at worst. Back in 2013, I was suffering from severe depression, then when she came into the picture, she became pretty much the only person that made me happy, which ended up evolving into a crush. Unfortunately, as the years passed it became clear that I was getting worse and worse, and Kate was rightfully getting more distant, which furthered my depression. Needless to say, the soured relationship pretty much led to me destroying whatever sense of reputation I had in the Doom community through endless drama and bitching. For over a year since I've last talked to her, I've wanted to bring whatever semblance of a friendship we had to end on a good note, but it seems this regret is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life. As for everyone else that had to deal with me in that time, I can't apologize hard enough for what I've done.

If there is one good thing that came out of meeting her, it's that she woke me up to the issues that plague transgender people. I became a pretty staunch ally and have wanted to push for civil rights and treatments so that trans people don't have to suffer so greatly. I wanted to help support her too, so that she can live a life worthy of her talent and good will. But now, I wish to give whatever aid I can to those closest to her.

Kate, regardless of what I've said and done, I still think of you as extremely talented, warm-hearted and generally just a wonderful person to be around. May you rest in peace.

Rest in peace Kate :( Keep making Doom wads wherever you are now so we can all play them too when the time comes! ❤

Christ, I'm... I'm devastated... I hardly knew her, but I'm devastated all the same.

This news hits pretty hard for me.

I didn't have very much correspondence with her, as my only personal connection to her was "fellow New Jersian," but I was glad to hear that she finally got the help she needed.

It is a tremendous shame this happened, and the Doom Community has lost an impressive coder and modder.

I hope that she was at least happy before her passing, and that she knew how much she was appreciated.

I think Kate was one of the first people in the Doom community to talk to me.

It's weird, not too long ago I'd been wondering where she was now.

This is truly sad.

Damn... I really liked to see videos of Kate's ZDoom mods, they combined the playful simple spriting with very good DECORATE and I believe the main character even became her forum mascot. I'm curious if her Python source port work on ZDoom and Eternity can be completed to something fully working.

I really hope the police work to find out what started that fire, it's too bad that determining the cause is so difficult with fires :(

How sad...didn't know her, but her contributions were legendary. My condolences to her friends and family, and may she rest in peace.

7 hours ago, Vorpal said:

How much of Kate's work was published? It seems a lot were WIPs that only passed around friends, it might be nice if some of it could be assembled and released.

One of my all-time favorite doom videos was from Kate:

I never knew her so I've been watching these videos as a sort of comemoration. Really cute stuff.

This is really awful news.  I never interacted with her directly, but she seemed like a really sweet and talented person.  And I know she made a lot of really neat stuff for the community.  Just a damn shame :(

All I can do is voice my own anguish and disappointment about this happening and taking Kate away from the world. I hope (and like to think I know) her relatives and friends will piece her life together and recover from this. The contributions she's made to the community over time haven't caught my eye before, so I'll have to do some research into her mods. It sounds like she had earned a place in the pantheon before this.

Yet another reminder that our existence here can be snatched away at any moment. So disheartening. 

RIP.

Damn, I remember seeing her posts way back when I was just lurking on ZDoom during the mid-2000s; she always seemed like one of the most knowledgable and cool people in the community to me back then. Reading this really felt like several punches in the gut, especially considering Bouncy's situation...

Rest in Peace Kate, and best wishes to Bouncy. Hopefully he can recover from this as best as humanly possible.

The only creation of hers I knew was Pokemon Doom but I enjoyed the Hell out of it. It remains one of my absolute favorite mods, it's horrible to learn that she's no longer with us.