Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Doom what if:Heretic,King of FPS games

Let's say in some bizzare alternative universe Doom instead of becoming one of the biggest games in video game history just becomes some obscure fps no one played but Heretic using the same engine becomes a massive hit.What do you think would ther world be like if this was the case?

people complaining that their gzheretic mod with a crystal wand you have to reload got snubbed for a Maulaward in favour of some vanilla Villa map

Raven would buy id, so that they could have the fancy engines for their games.

Enemies in shooters would be utter bulletsponges and today's games would have less ammo types.

Also, maybe we would be playing a new Hexen game in 2004, with a plot going after all of the Serpent Riders' and Praevus's deaths (that I would want to see in our reality, but it seems Raven likes making CoD games more).

And what about a devastated fantasy world with industrial metal and brutal spells? Without puzzles of course, because it would be 2016 and who likes puzzles anyways, am I right??? (ok this wouldn't work out well, given the nature of the Hexen games, but I would be curious to see a modern incarnation of Hexen)

DAMN IT! I thought of Hexen for a sec...

Now that I think about it though, since all of the next games in the series had less ammo types, wouldn't it be the rule in games? At least until someone would change that.

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

Honestly I think that beside having Heretic instead of Doom as popular (especially among the masses), nothing else would probably change much. I expect people like us would easily figure out it's a great game and still become a hit in the modding community anyway.

Yet, I'm not seeing how Heretic would become the popular game, especially since Doom revolutionized many things in the genre at the time, which Heretic did not, and likely wouldn't even in such an obscure, upside-down alternative universe. For this to happen Heretic must first become revolutionary, therefore a different game.

Instead of generic military space marines, we would have generic magic wizard elves.

11 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Yet, I'm not seeing how Heretic would become the popular game, especially since Doom revolutionized many things in the genre at the time, which Heretic did not, and likely wouldn't even in such an obscure, upside-down alternative universe. For this to happen Heretic must first become revolutionary, therefore a different game.

It's a what if,that means that we don't need to explain why it's like this :P

3 minutes ago, SOSU said:

It's a what if,that means that we don't need to explain why it's like this :P

I know, just my 0.02$ xd.

Heretic added a ton of QOL stuff we take for granted nowadays, Same with hexen.

I still think not much would change especially after Quake's reveal.

4 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Enemies in shooters would be utter bulletsponges

Definitely this.

4 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Enemies in shooters would be utter bulletsponges

True that!

Hexen is the one full of bullet sponges not heretic, Especially on skill 5. Well unless you want to use nothing but the crossbow but then you are doing it to yourself.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Heretic added a ton of QOL stuff we take for granted nowadays, Same with hexen.

Not to mention Hexen added jumping too.

We'd probably have less military shooters and more shooters inspired by DnD et al. Might sound like a good thing now, but they'd be every bit as much of a tired cliche to us in this scenario.

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Well unless you want to use nothing but the crossbow but then you are doing it to yourself.

I'd say it's basically any weapon except the rod, and the rod has a pitiful ammo pool.