• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

The Revenant Problem - A Philosophical Doom 2 Map

MAP08 is actually scary.

10/10.

MAP30 is terrifying.

Don't play it if you get spooped easily.

Edited by Whiskey

"Hey if I sacrifice the Pain Elemental that would mean less Lost Souls, good idea!"

jnMGPT3.png

"Ah darn, still some more Lost Souls left!"

O0qAOwD.png

Edited by GuyNamedErick

I literally had thought about making a trolley problem jokewad in the past but I am sure my effort would have been about 10% as good as this.

Doomworld does not cease to amaze me! Died in lava at MAP07 -_-

P.S. Also I used TNTEM to kill all monsters.

Edited by riderr3

5 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Greetings, Planet Doom! You may remember me as the creator of such WADs as 100,000 Revenants and Infinite Revenants. Today, I come to you with the third installment in the Revenant trilogy.

A common complaint of the first two Revenant titles is that there were too many Revenants. Hence, I have decided to rectify this issue by only including one Revenant. But it had to be a challenging Revenant. Not just a little challenging, but the most challenging Revenant of all time. Morally and ethically speaking, I mean. And so, I've created this new WAD known as The Revenant Problem.

The Revenant Problem is a full 32 level megawad that requires a Boom-compatible port which asks the toughest question: What is right? I elaborate further on this in the preview video below, but you can also read a text summary here

Reveal hidden contents

There is a runaway Revenant barreling down the teleporter track. Ahead, at the main teleporter's destination, there are five Imps trapped by explosive barrels and unable to move. The Revenant is headed straight for them. You are standing inside the nearby STARTAN2 viewing chamber next to a switch. If you press this switch, the Revenant will change to a different teleporter. However, you notice that there is one Imp trapped within explosive barrels at this side teleporter's destination. You have two options:

1. Do nothing, and the Revenant fires a rocket which explodes the barrels, killing the five Imps  at the main teleporter.
  2. Push the switch, diverting the Revenant onto the side teleporter where it will kill one Imp.

Which is the most ethical choice?

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f4kU6tDR4EG_f0IUnMqsrxaTe6ocCVxy/view?usp=sharing

Preview image:
IKiiINum.png

Preview video:

*Nominated for 2018 Cacowards.*

Stupid demons.  Just standing there like idiots - not even tied down.  They deserve what's coming to them:

Correct answer in most cases is to not interfere with few exceptions because of above.  I only saved the babby demons, those who were too young to know any better.  For example, I saved the cacobaby because the rabbit was a grown-ass adult rabbit.  I did get nervous though when I had to chose between my two favorite crates.  At that point I just idclipped into the tracks and stopped the revenant with my own body, better me then them. 

Living things don't matter, only crates.

also, this gave me a few chuckes.  Good job, @Revenant100

...But, since these are demons, isn't it always more ethical to make sure as many as possible die?  There's no quandary in the normal trolley problem when the thing you're killing is something that you have an ethical obligation to kill!

I didn't realize you were also one of my favorite youtube channels 'til now. Great stuff, man.

Concur with @Cynical: In all cases I attempted to choose the option that gave the highest killcount.

Bug: Every level has linedef 37 missing its first sidedef.

I'm stuck on map28. What's the trick to get past it?

52 minutes ago, RjY said:

@Cynical

I'm stuck on map28. What's the trick to get past it?

Spoiler

I got past this one by strafing from side to side against the back wall. After a couple of tries I got lucky enough to avoid rocket damage for long enough for the revenant to wipe out the left cyber (I did not hit switch) and dash for the exit switch as soon as the bars raised.

14 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Hence, I have decided to rectify this issue by only including one Revenant.

LIAR! I reached MAP09 and there were too many revenants again! I WANT A REFUND

"Is it morally ethical to save one zombieman or several chaingunners?" *smashes button to kill chaingunners repeatedly*

Couldn't help but laugh. Shitposts done right are very rare these days, especially on Doomworld. Good job!

@tmorrow Thanks. I gave up after a dozen attempts. I was afraid it was down to luck and/or having faster reaction times than I possess.

Spoiler

MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:03+28
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:01+19
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:04+20
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:13+09
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:06+15
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:13+14
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:19+07
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:09+25
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:01+32
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:06+13
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:04+13
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:03+23
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:12+30
MAP28 DEAD 0/2 2 0/1 0/0 0:10+34

It seems the longest I lasted was 19 seconds. The last two were played at 25% gamespeed but that didn't help either.

YES! I have beaten your ethical dilemma in the most moral way possible !

(And then I had to IDKFA to get to the secret exit because of course the normal exit didn't open.)

Screenshot_Doom_20171224_145304.png

To the Cacowards committee, if this does not win a Cacoward in some way, it will be one of the biggest travesties of all time on Doomworld.

Sometimes, you play a WAD that make you ask yourself "was i worthy of playing such a beautiful thing?"

This is one of those WAD. Great work!

The WAD is now available on idgames:

Apart from some minor tweaks, there is actually one major change in this upload: MAP29 has been redone. The original version was actually one of the first levels set up after creating the initial layout, and it quickly became unsuitable as being the penultimate map as the later-designed earlier levels became much more interesting. As this was the only major change here, though, anyone who's interested yet has already played through the WAD before is probably best off just warping to MAP29 to check it out as everything else has remained largely the same.