Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Sessions 9 - Joy To The Eagles (v2)

Will be held on the 23rd December, 2017.

You know the rules, if not, mention me, I'll clarify them for you.

Saturday, 6:00 PM GMT and Sunday, 7:00 AM GMT are the times for this one.

DISCORD SERVER https://discord.gg/usQDVGd

Eagles 09 - v2

Edited by NaZa

I look forward to this project as always. And right near to Christmas time as well.....will I end up playing this half-drunk on Christmas Eve, I wonder?

Heh, you should. 

I'll be able to participate in this, so that's good. Hopefully the start of a trend. 

One should fight demons, not fellow marines....

I mean, I hope this has been discussed or agreed upon or at least talked about. Well I just hope there is some communication with other ASSES and Pigeons. Debacle is nothing what is wanted, i guess.

Edited by grrfield : clarification

3 hours ago, grrfield said:

One should fight demons, not fellow marines....

I mean, I hope this has been discussed or agreed upon or at least talked about. Well I just hope there is some communication with other ASSES and Pigeons. Debacle is nothing what is wanted, i guess.

This particular session was organized and announced before ASS 32 and in cooperation with Pigeon about session times. 

Everyone can jump in pigeon server and discuss about future of speedmapping and such. I'm planning to take hiatus, so I don't think that there will be conflict of interest. I'll just finish my duty as leader and finalise compilation(put first beta faster, it takes time to solve some texture conflicts and learn some dehacked for map name replacements and merges).

THEMES
- Invisible bridges
- Only bullet weapons (pistol/chaingun)
- Christmas music track

Let's all start mapping! I'll probably start an hour later, but I'll finish a map this time!

This map will include many fixes especially concerning haphazard monster placement... I think it's playable?

TITLE: Huge Monotone Nukage Dump

THEMES: Bullet weapons, invisible bridges (music will come later)

TIME: 2 h 30 min (started later)

MUSIC: will be Kyrie Eleison but when I finish it

COMMENTS: The end trap is horribly unfair. I tried to make a map with the least orthogonal N-S-E-W lines as possible. You'll see how that went. I'm quite pleased with the overall -nomo design and I think I should definitely research that design principle in the future. As for monster placement... well. Yeah.

Loads with cc4-tex.wad

ess9_naza.zip

Hoping we get a few more maps than this.

Title: Meta Holiday (from here)

Build Time: 2h30m not including midi selection and whatnot

Themes: invisible bridges (3d bridges even (sort of)), christmas music

Music: "Dance of the Sugarplum Lunatic" by Mark Klem (Memento Mori II Map30)

qcF1YL1.png

For some reason, the linedefs that lower the bridge in the central area become impassible when the bridge is raised. If you fall off the bridge itself, it will lower just fine. However, if you fall off somewhere else and approach the bridge, you can't pass the linedefs that lower it. I have no idea what is going on and the bridge in the rocky area raises and lowers just fine. If someone could take a look at it that would be really helpful.

edit1: it actually only blocks you from the side where you spawn?

edit2: New version, now with better texture alignment, a skullcard instead of a key (to match the door), a teleporter out of the (former) inescapable pit, and the weird bridge thing fixed somehow (no idea what I did).

spie812-eagle09v2.zip

Edited by Spie812

Welp i ran out of personal mapping time for today :( I slightly overestimated the time I had again and so I wasn't able to complete the map :( I spent too much time on the red and yellow key sections so I wasn't able to complete BK area or the exit area (but there is an exit) or texturing, sooo that's kind of a problem, especially since I felt like this was going to be one of my best speedmaps yet... and I won't be able to update it for the next couple of days because of Christmas related stuff so my desire to have it included in the compilation is not particularly high D; But I guess I'll put this version here anyway since I did test it enough to know it's technically playable (though not particularly fun lol)

Name: Dead Complex

Build time: ~2 hours

Themes: bullet weapons only, might add music if naza is willing to be way too patient with me and wait a couple of days so I can get the rest done :D

trf_eagle9_1.zip

Don't worry, I'm patient when it comes to this, evidenced by how slowly I compile textures and everything how long I wait for updates before I push out a compilation.

4 hours ago, NaZa said:

should be "Only bullet weapons in valiant" haha. Just for fun.

A couple of very short FDAs (about four minutes total of playtime) for Naza's and Spie812's maps. I started to record one for therekafire's as well before realizing the map was even more incomplete than I had expected. :P 

e09rdfdas.zip

5 hours ago, lirui1001 said:

should be "Only bullet weapons in valiant" haha. Just for fun.

That would be pretty fun. I'd also be happy to play a speedmapped set that uses the Valiant chaingun and a double-bladed chainsaw as the 'themed' weapons.

Edited by rdwpa

fdas: noisy_ess9.zip

naza: way more health/armor than necessary for such an easy map imo.  big-ass roomy spaces: i feel like there ought to be like a bunch more mancu-tron area-sweeping monsters with a couple rocks in the center to exploit, or something.  though for chaingun only, maybe such monsters would be too much unless they were mounted as turrets with barrels behind them, or something.

spie812: decent little map.  solid i guess. your work is generally pretty solid i.m.o.

rektafire: hub + setpieces.  sorta "stringy" like your other maps, but topologically less stringy this time.  I guess i sorta liked the general direction you were going for despite it not being finished.

thanks for the maps, as always.  I like digesting small packets of doom like these.

merry christmas.  Ho HO ho!

@NoisyVelvet thanks :) If you couldn't tell from the name and the design it is supposed to be like a more advanced Dead Simple kind of map set in a sort-of-e1ish techbase setting (yeah totally awesome original idea I'm sure lol) with the main courtyard area being locked with a 3 key door and each key path having its own unique gimmick, red key is crushers, yellow key is nukage, and blue key is supposed to be large amounts of enemies but i obviously didnt get the time to complete that part since I didn't have enough time on my end :(

Thanks for the FDAs @rdwpa and @NoisyVelvet! I know my map is humongous and too easy but I died a lot on the last trap so I added a Megasphere before that. I know both Megaspheres are overkill so I'll nerf that. I'll do some tiny fixes after the second session in which I may not be able to participate. 

THEMES
- Invisible bridges
- Christmas music track

BONUS THEME! 

- The map takes place in a big arena with no other rooms besides that 

Too late at night for me to participate but hoping for some extra maps in the next few hours.

Certainly not the result I'd hoped for, but that's what happens when another session is organized a few days before this one, and when it's too close to a rush (Christmas things probably prevented people from participating). An all-time low - but now the only way is up! :)

2 hours ago, NaZa said:

Certainly not the result I'd hoped for, but that's what happens when another session is organized a few days before this one, and when it's too close to a rush (Christmas things probably prevented people from participating). An all-time low - but now the only way is up! :)

Quality, not quantity.

Yeah, it looks like we did get overshadowed by Abyssal's surprise return. A bit unfortunate, but the finished maps were both pretty good.

I'm lucky I guess, i am putting the finishing touches on my map now :D I should be able to put up the finished version in about an hour or so

Well I thought I would have enough time to complete the rest of the map but eureka crashed and I lost a little bit of progress :v (probably my fault for copy-pasting way too many sectors in the nukage room for the lights which caused some linedef reference bullshit which in itself took some time to fix) Still it is in a way better shape than it was in originally :D The texturing and architecture and lighting is done basically (there are some misallignments but I'm not particularly sure how one should handle texture alignments between elevation changes still, so that is my excuse for that :D) Enemy placement is almost done except for the exit encounter- because of aforementioned crash... Also it might be a bit unbalanced because one of the things I suck at in general still when it comes to mapping is enemy placement, and the restriction of only using bullet weapons made it more difficult as well

trf_eagle9_2.zip