Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

10 hours ago, Optimus said:

I'd think if it was a mistake, it would be impossible to get out and the player is stuck outside. But the other side opens like a normal door. Did they predicted the player could do that?

There's a deathmatch start in the outside area, I'm sure the door is openable from the outside to let deathmatch players out of there.

10 hours ago, Optimus said:

Then I tried on PC in GZDoom. Can't do it! Normal, strafe, even idkfa to try some rocket wall jumping. But if you idclip outside, the outside is opened like a door again.

It can actually be done in PC Doom, it's a matter of falling onto the right step on the staircase, which stops your vertical velocity, while still being above the window and running into it.

Today I learned that the phrase "Hell Nobel" doesn't just refer to Barons of Hell.

Where did the phrase Hell Nobel come from exactly?  I'd never heard of it when I hung out here in the early 2000s, but I see it quite regularly now.  Is there a history of where the name came from?  And what exactly does it refer to?  I'm guessing "anything like a Baron of Hell".

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

"Hell Nobel"

The proper spelling is "noble", and the idea comes from the words "knight" and "baron" in the names of the monsters implying their "nobility".

9 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

The proper spelling is "noble", and the idea comes from the words "knight" and "baron" in the names of the monsters implying their "nobility".

Oops, Noble, my bad.

Yeah, I follow the logic.  But it's not part of any official language in the game, right?  Was it just something someone came up with once and it stuck, or was it like an alternative name in one of the later ports?  

If it was something someone just randomly came up with, any idea who, and when?

17 minutes ago, DepravedDiptera said:

Yeah I know I'm stupid.

Eh, until 2016 when I watched a walkthough of Doom 2 I was unaware the Super Shotgun and Chaingunners were not present in the original game.

1 hour ago, DepravedDiptera said:

Hell Knights weren't in Doom 1.

Yeah I know I'm stupid.

I always thought they were called Hell knights not Barons of Hell.

On 17.12.2017 at 0:20 AM, AsianMammoth said:
(tweet showing baron and demons with similar back graphics)

This is well known if you go through registered Doom 1, barons of hell tend to be placed with larger groups of demons, especially in E2M6. The barons are dramatically tougher than the demons.

On 12/21/2017 at 1:14 PM, Bauul said:

Oops, Noble, my bad.

Yeah, I follow the logic.  But it's not part of any official language in the game, right?  Was it just something someone came up with once and it stuck, or was it like an alternative name in one of the later ports?  

If it was something someone just randomly came up with, any idea who, and when?

Apparently there are uses that go back to the early 2000s. It's not an official term, but yes it's a convenient way to refer to both HKs and barons at once -- like when they are used in intermixed hordes, for example.

"Gasbags" for cacodemons and pain elementals has a similar idea. Seems like I've used that one a bunch. I got it from Demon of the Well. 

In DeHackEd, changing the duration of revenant's rocket from 2 to 1 will make revenants always shoot homing missiles.

I don't know it's 100% accurate. But I'm pretty sure about it, judging from my experience.

This works because revenant rockets only adjust their course when gametic is a multiple of four. So normally if a revenant attacks on an even tic its missile homes, but if it attacks on an odd tic, A_Tracer is only ever called on odd gametics and the missile never changes course. If you arrange for A_Tracer to be called on every tic by lowering the duration, they will always home.

By extension, changing the duration of one of the frames to 0 will make the missile home twice more aggressively, because the function will be called twice in the same tic, once per each frame.

By extended extension, you can make an always-homing-but-lazy-with-it by using any odd duration between each A_Tracer call, or reduce the homing chance of a missile to approximately 25% by using a duration of 4 instead, as only 0 or a multiple of 4 will ever result in a multiple of 4 when you add 4 to it.

_backup__04.png

Apparently that wooden ceiling used to be nicely aligned, but then they shifted it for some reason? Great.

3 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Standing on the edge of an elevated pain sector causes no damage.

That's because damage only happens when your character's center touches a damaging floor. When you're on the edge of an elevated sector, the sector you are in is not the same as the sector you are on, and your feet don't touch the sector you are in.

2 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Apparently that wooden ceiling used to be nicely aligned, but then they shifted it for some reason? Great.

And that's the same base texture as the wooden block texture with the skulls, innit? Man, that's actually obnoxious.

Oh, yeah, doesn't Doomworld host that stuff? Anyone remember the link to the gallery?

as an extra oddity, based on the file modified dates, it seems that the misaligned one is the original, and someone later on went ahead and fixed it up to be aligned. And then promptly forgot to actually re-run lumpy to grab the new one, since the one in the ceils.wad file is still misaligned (and the date is before the image's modified date)

That annoys me a bit more than it reasonably should.

As an additional thing I found out, while looking at the work folder for flats there's a "rfloor1.lbm" image that contains what appears to be asphalt. Between this, the nice looking bushes, and the window textures, I kind of wonder if there was an initial desire to make Doom 2's cities look a bit more like a city.

Also with regards to hosting this stuff, here's ling's gallery and the raw data was put on Github by Fraggle.

Edited by InsanityBringer

10 hours ago, Gez said:

That's because damage only happens when your character's center touches a damaging floor. When you're on the edge of an elevated sector, the sector you are in is not the same as the sector you are on, and your feet don't touch the sector you are in.

That's why, when I fall into the lava in some levels and the level designer has made a very thin elevator you can press that comes down, it's very annoying as I stand on the edge of this waiting to be lifted up, I still get damage.

Now, would that mean if I stand in the edge on a ledge and below is lava then I'll take damage? I don't think so. Or when you fall in a deep hole with lava down, but you don't get damage unless you touch the ground first.

1 hour ago, Optimus said:

Now, would that mean if I stand in the edge on a ledge and below is lava then I'll take damage? I don't think so. Or when you fall in a deep hole with lava down, but you don't get damage unless you touch the ground first.

12 hours ago, Gez said:

damage only happens when your character's center touches a damaging floor.

"Touches" means not only being in the same sector, but the player's bottom must be at the same height as the floor.

Worshipping altars of guns? Color me impressed lad, I never expected this. I wonder what else's to find.

As about the Lost Souls part... hm... maybe one of the methods instead? That would explain their presence when there are no Pain Elementals around to spew them out.

Thanks to @Revenant100's Doom Sprite Fixing Project thread, I just recently found out that the yellow marks on the legs of pinky demons will disappear when attacking/hurt.

I didn't "just" find out about this, but I realized recently that you can set certain actions without defining a tag. Now, I already knew this about doors, but you can also set lifts without a tag, as Doom will try to figure out which sector to perform the action on. It gets complicated if your layout has a lot of adjacent sectors, but in plenty of instances it can do it without a tag.