Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

would you like to see PSX Doom ported to PC?

Just now, Cacodemon345 said:

Why?

Not all people can exactly understand what you mean with just one question sentence.

Besides, there's already the PSX DOOM TC for GZDOOM, which some people consider a port.

Did you mean a perfect, reverse-engineered port, just like Calico (a Jaguar DOOM source port)?

Not really no, I thought PSX Doom TC was pretty good and didn't think a reverse-engineered port was needed.

@dmg_64,I think that a reverse-engineered port is needed.

That's because PSX Doom TC only attempts to recreate the look and feel of it,and it's Final Doom levels aren't really directly taken

from PSX Final Doom,instead edited variants of PC Final Doom.

I'd like to see a reverse engineered port of PSX Doom... though I doubt you're going to be the one to do it.

I would want someone else to do it,much like how someone ported Doom 64 to PC.

Anyways, someone remember the infamous MAP60 hoax that happened?

...and it will take a lot of work. Possibly even more work than Doom64 EX did if you were aiming for 100% accuracy.

On 7/17/2014 at 10:55 AM, Quasar said:

In my opinion, the ideal base for a "PSX Doom EX" would in fact be Doom64 EX, and I've been trying to convince Kaiser to team up with me on it, but so far he's not interested, mainly because he feels it would have to be 100% accurate and the disassembly is such a mess, and so mired in the bizarre design of the PSX's hardware, that it would be a nearly impossible undertaking. Personally, I'd be willing to and would *rather* create a port which makes compromises in this regard, such as NOT having crazy warping textures and holes in the walls and floors due to insufficient z buffer precision, than to not have a port at all.

edit: MAP60 hoax? What are you talking about?

I am not a coder.

But if you mean a lot of work, then it will take approx. 8 years.

I learned it from how amount of time it required for Doom64 EX to stabilize.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sony_PlayStation

Hm, didn't have much info on this version, but from what I see, it seems to be inferior to the original PC version, so I'm not seeing any purpose for a reverse-engineered port similar to Doom64.

Edited by fraggle : Correcting wiki link

Much of the fondness for the PSX port comes from the atmosphere created with the new colored lighting, and the new soundtrack, which are definitely the main standout features for this port.

I would definitely love to see a PSX Doom EX type thing since the game really is pretty neat but I can't stand the gamepad controls it has. The GZD based TC just doesn't feel right, honestly.

17 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

MAP60 hoax

The "Club Doom 2" hoax.

If you are unsure, here is an excerpt from ClassicDoom website FAQ:

"Q: "Where are the passwords for PSX/Saturn Doom level 60?"

A: There is no level 60 in either game. A "Level 60: CLUB DOOM 2" password had been floating around the Internet for a while, but in reality that password (7L3!266DJK) takes a player to level 54: REDEMPTION DENIED."

Edited by Cacodemon345

Fun fact: you can actually encode level numbers up to 63 in the PSX Doom password, but the game is explicitly programmed to not accept anything higher than 59 in that field :)

6 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Fun fact: you can actually encode level numbers up to 63 in the PSX Doom password, but the game is explicitly programmed to not accept anything higher than 59 in that field :)

Color me surprised. I guess it's just like the original Jaguar port which was supposed to have Fortress of Mystery (renamed into Dis) and Warrens.

Unlikely, as there's no other evidence to suggest there are any missing maps in this case. You just can't encode the number 59 in a number of bits less than what you can use to encode 63 also, so a bit of the high end is unused :)

If you're curious why I know this stuff, I reverse engineered the password system a while back and wrote a generator/decoder for it:

http://eternity.mancubus.net/psxpw/

The whole hoax seems to have come from the MAP60.LCD found in the SNDMAPS3 directory.

Also, if you attempt to run the PS-EXE file by itself in an emulator, this pops up:

7urhXlw.png

I used the window snip feature to snip it.The PS-EXE file is located in the ABIN directory, which contains the code, much like the PC version.

This error text basically uses the same font used when the texture cache overflow occurs.

Edited by Cacodemon345

Technically the TC out there is as close as a port as I think we will ever get, at least until the GEC guys release their fabled TCs.

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I found that texture cache overflow thing.

Here is the picture:

9D9Ccen.png

Messages that use this font are all generated by the function I_Error(); like in the Jaguar port, it is coded in the PSX version to write to its own dedicated screen and uses a monochrome bitmap font that is hard-coded into the executable file. Also like Jag, it functions by deliberately locking up the game into a short loop that does nothing but draw the error message, keeping execution from proceeding into the code after the I_Error call.

19 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Technically the TC out there is as close as a port as I think we will ever get, at least until the GEC guys release their fabled TCs.

I think a real port of PSX Doom is required.

Anyways, I didn't see much feedback from the GEC guys about their TCs.

It is better to play PSX Doom in it's original and true form on the PC.

The GEC TC will probably feature the same levels that you can already find in the PSX Doom TC, Doom 64.

Doom 64 already has been ported to PC anyway.

19 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Messages that use this font are all generated by the function I_Error(); like in the Jaguar port, it is coded in the PSX version to write to its own dedicated screen and uses a monochrome bitmap font that is hard-coded into the executable file. Also like Jag, it functions by deliberately locking up the game into a short loop that does nothing but draw the error message, keeping execution from proceeding into the code after the I_Error call.

like JagDoom that prints error message into the screen and hangs itself?